Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 07:43 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
BIGMA vs Tamron SP 400mm f/4 LD-IF Adaptall2 Model 65b

Hi folks,
I already have a bigma and am happy with its performance so far. Since I am mainly into bird photography, i am looking for longer reach...again not willing to sell my house for a lens...which brought me to the tamron 400mm

I thought this may a good option (though manual focus), when coupled with a 1.4x or 2x TCs

need your advice on whether I should go for the tamron

I read a review of the tamron on this site and it was not particularly encouraging

pls advice...

Regards,
CD

12-09-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't own either but my bet, based upon playing a little with the tamron 300 F2.8 (same type of beast as the 400 F4) is that it probably suffers badly from purple fringing, the one I tried did.

Bigma has produced some excellent shots, but you really need to get some good examples of both.

As I understand it, the BIGMA has been accused of being a little soft at 500mm and wide open,

In this respect the tamron might be better, but I would want to try it first.

BTW, I use an SMC300F4 with 1.7x AF TC which is only 1/3 stop slower than the BIGMA, so for me, I really need to gain more than a stop fo rmy next move.
12-09-2009, 01:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
At least my copy of the Bigma does not suffer from any contrast breakdown at the long end IF and only IF, the focus is right! If the focus is off, even only slightly, the contrast breaks down severely. I think, this is a behaviour, which led to the colported "low contrast at the long end" story. It is not easy to get the focus right, as the lens is not fast and often AF won't work (some object between camera and your subject, onto which the AF locks etc.)

Somebody here in the forum has the Tamron 400/4 and posted some very sharp and contrasty images. Looked very good, may be even better than those by the 300/2.8. I only have the latter and apart from purple fringing, which gets noticeable in the typical high contrast sitations (branches against bright sky), it is a very good lens.

Ben
12-10-2009, 08:36 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
tnx folks. looks like it is a no go for me then