Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 09:41 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I occasionally regret selling the Pentax-F 1.7x AF Adapter. I bought it in a kit, intending to resell, and I did make some money on it. In the end, it would have cost me too much to keep it. It would have been nice to have but not used often enough.

I have about 50 lenses right now, but they were all paid for (and the camera) by diligent eBay trading. I could probably get down to 25 without missing any functionality and 15 that I'd really use, but there's no urgent reason to do so.

12-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #17
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
That was me until Monday week ago... merrily buying a lens here and a lens there, maybe one a month. Then I made the mistake of having them all out on the kitchen table, giving them a polish and exercising their apertures when the Mrs came in...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14!!!!
She knew about the DA zooms I had and the little Chinon 50 and the Super Takumar 85 f1.9 but had not seen all of the others at the same time....
"Why have you 2 the same?" picking up the 85s... "uhmm well they're not the same really, one is a f1.8 and the other is a f1.9" ... blank face
"Why do these have their own little bags?" the LTDs, "How much?"
"ahhh I got a couple of great deals on them"
"How MUCH?"
mumbling a little "around €350 or so each"

"but they cost around €850 each new!"
"Whats so special about them?"
I started off, they are Limited, unbelievably good lenses, best in class, gorgeously made etc, etc and that they were 3 of them and I needed 1 more to get the set. Bad move....
"another 1?, no you're not!!!, how many of these do you use?"
"all of them!"
Pick up the Chinon, "thats the one I used to take the picture of the fern that you like!"
Super Takumar 85, "thats the one I used to take pictures the flowers and you loved the colours"
K24, "you know the black and white picture of Kenmare? that was this one"
Getting on a roll now....
"How much will this other one cost?"
"hmm, dunno, maybe €700 to €800"

"Well you have to sell some of these first!"
The K24 went first...
then the Super Tak 50 and Tak 135
Then she says... "You don't have to sell them if you don't want to!"
Hence sellers remorse!
Nice story Robbie!

I kind of know how it feels but luckily my Mrs. gave up on the idea of me stopping buying lenses. I have managed to offset the damage done though, by selling/trading lenses I didn't want/use to get what I wanted.
But she still doesn't see the logic of me getting the FA135 (even if I explained her the great price and it's a great lens etc) and she doesn't know yet I'm getting the K55 from you
Oh well....
12-10-2009, 01:44 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nachodog Quote
DA 14mm just sold. I miss it already, but don't regret selling it. Also the 10-17mm sold almost a year ago. Same feelings for that one. I guess I'm just not a wide-angle photographer.
Said DA14 sits under the Christmas tree, only weeks away from filling the wide end of my LBA!
12-10-2009, 06:24 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The only pang of regret I have is letting my vivitar series 1 70-210 go. I have not been using it, but it's such a nice lens... Apart from that, I try to keep my LBA under control by selling and buying in even proportions. So far, except for my first purchase of a L20D and Sigma 17-70, LBA has not cost me a penny, I have been able to finance my purchases by selling unused lenses... so far so good, and my kit is evolving into something I'm really satisfied with. There are two lenses I would like to have, one being purchased right now (WR kit), one maybe in the future (replacing my 100-300 with a better lens wide open). For the rest I have all my bases covered.

That doesn't mean I don't *want* more lenses, but I prefer to take the time to shoot pictures.

12-10-2009, 08:12 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dale Quote
Said DA14 sits under the Christmas tree, only weeks away from filling the wide end of my LBA!
oh, that is just CRUEL and EVIL...to know it's there just sitting, mocking you is just so wrong!! hahaha....congrats on a fun new member of your LBA family.
12-10-2009, 10:17 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I sold a K15/3.5 Asp here on the forum....which I now wish I didn't sell, but it went to a good home. Now I keep on looking for a mint 15mm Tak.....
12-10-2009, 04:19 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Seller's remorse:

1) Vivitar/Komine 28mm close-focus
2) Vivitar series 1 105 macro
3) Helios 44-M
4) Tamron 28-75 2.8
5) F/FA 50 1.7

Result:

1) Sold to Gus, he posted great images, stumbled on one, bought it again
2) Bought, sold, bought again, sold, now have Lester Dine 105
3) Sold to Gus, he posted great images, actively searched for a replacement, bought
4) bought, sold, bought, sold, then bought in Nikon mount, sold, settled on Tamron 17-50.
5) bought FA, sold, bought F, sold, then bought both FA and F and now I have both

Yeah, I can relate.

12-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

none so far

Since I have so far only sold duplicates or non-Pentax lenses.
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had an A 50mm f/1.7 that I sold to buy an A 50mm f/1.4 that I sold to buy an FA 50mm f/1.4. I liked the A f/1.7 the best of the bunch and recently found another.

I sold a nearly new Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro and a Lester Dine 105 macro to fund my Voigtländer 125. I really miss the Dine.

The other lenses that I've sold are better off with their new owners, but those are the three I miss the most.
12-14-2009, 02:36 PM   #25
Forum Member

That was me until Monday week ago... merrily buying a lens here and a lens there, maybe one a month. Then I made the mistake of having them all out on the kitchen table, giving them a polish and exercising their apertures when the Mrs came in...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14!!!!
She knew about the DA zooms I had and the little Chinon 50 and the Super Takumar 85 f1.9 but had not seen all of the others at the same time....
"Why have you 2 the same?" picking up the 85s... "uhmm well they're not the same really, one is a f1.8 and the other is a f1.9" ... blank face
"Why do these have their own little bags?" the LTDs, "How much?"
"ahhh I got a couple of great deals on them"
"How MUCH?"
mumbling a little "around €350 or so each"

"but they cost around €850 each new!"
"Whats so special about them?"
I started off, they are Limited, unbelievably good lenses, best in class, gorgeously made etc, etc and that they were 3 of them and I needed 1 more to get the set. Bad move....
"another 1?, no you're not!!!, how many of these do you use?"
"all of them!"
Pick up the Chinon, "thats the one I used to take the picture of the fern that you like!"
Super Takumar 85, "thats the one I used to take pictures the flowers and you loved the colours"
K24, "you know the black and white picture of Kenmare? that was this one"
Getting on a roll now....
"How much will this other one cost?"
"hmm, dunno, maybe €700 to €800"

"Well you have to sell some of these first!"
The K24 went first...
then the Super Tak 50 and Tak 135
Then she says... "You don't have to sell them if you don't want to!"
Hence sellers remorse!
Was that a 43 ltd in the pack? Ouch.
Edit: just noticed it wasn't up for sale - glad you managed to keep that one, great lens. Worth several 50's IMHO.
Too bad Robbie, you had to sell all of those - hope you get decent replacements for them, or the very same in mint condition copies.

However I can assure you that your K24/2.8 will be in good hands and treated well, once it (finally) arrives here.

Last edited by Mirek; 12-14-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: mixed up the lenses to be sold.
12-15-2009, 12:14 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Well peace has broken out again in my household. I think my Mrs has sellers remorse now She keeps on looking on ebay for combinations of Takumar, Pentax K and Super Takumar! One thing I am glad of is that they have all been sold here so they'll be in good hands and I'll get to see what they are really capable off.
Me? i'm scheming, plotting and planning on my next 2 additions, the Fa31 and DA15
12-15-2009, 01:24 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

Seller's remorse:

1) Vivitar/Komine 28mm close-focus
2) Vivitar series 1 105 macro
3) Helios 44-M
4) Tamron 28-75 2.8
5) F/FA 50 1.7

Result:

1) Sold to Gus, he posted great images, stumbled on one, bought it again
2) Bought, sold, bought again, sold, now have Lester Dine 105
3) Sold to Gus, he posted great images, actively searched for a replacement, bought
4) bought, sold, bought, sold, then bought in Nikon mount, sold, settled on Tamron 17-50.
5) bought FA, sold, bought F, sold, then bought both FA and F and now I have both

Yeah, I can relate.

Jay... can you let us know now what Gus's next lens is?

cheers

Neil
12-15-2009, 02:13 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
So far, it seems the moral of the story is "don't get married"

my wife is my biggest creditor or lender. she is my 24 hour bank. I can borrow money from her anytime that I want. without her, I won't be able to make some purchases, especially the expensive ones. the good thing about it is that the terms of payment is not 1 month to pay unlike your casual credit card billings. but as most credit card purchase which have 6-12 month payments, they charge you with interest in the form of Louis Vuitton.
12-15-2009, 12:39 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Do any of you feel a loss or a pang of guilt when you pack away a trusty lens for shipping?
All the freaking time.

But hey, I gotta sell to keep playing!

There have been at least 5 lenses I've bought more than once--it's the circle of life!