Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sellers remorse?

Do any of you feel a loss or a pang of guilt when you pack away a trusty lens for shipping?
Case in point is a photo I took a few days ago:

With the exception of the M50 and 43 LTD, they are all up for sale or have been shipped already!

12-09-2009, 08:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, the 10-17 and 55-300, both of which have found their way back into my bag.

Just recently sold a mint (still had the box) 50mm A F1.7. Over the last month I managed an A 50mm F1.4 on craigslist and an F 50mm f1.7 at a local shop, both steals, and needed to make room. I will probably always regret it, because you don't stumble upon mint 20+ year old lenses too often! It did go to a forum member, and that eases the pain knowing it'll be put to good use...this is our only consolation I am afraid!
12-09-2009, 08:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

DA 14mm just sold. I miss it already, but don't regret selling it. Also the 10-17mm sold almost a year ago. Same feelings for that one. I guess I'm just not a wide-angle photographer.
12-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have sold or part exchanged more lenses than I have at the moment. The only one that I ever regreted was SMC 400/4.6 (K series) I got it for £150 originaly, and stupidly part exchanged it for the same valuation for something that led to DA*50-135 which I never liked and ended up selling....
Anyway, I still do feel bad for selling the K400. It was smashing value for money... oh well, we all learn from our own mistakes...

12-09-2009, 03:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mint condition PK/A mount Vivitar 100mm f2.8 Macro (Kiron). The Series 1 105mm f2.5 was based on it and is basically the same lens. Most of the Macro shots on my PPG were taken with it but I was offered a straight swap from another forum maker witha Pentax D-FA 100mm f2.8 and couldn't say no.

How I wish I had.
12-09-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Do any of you feel a loss or a pang of guilt when you pack away a trusty lens for shipping?
Case in point is a photo I took a few days ago:

With the exception of the M50 and 43 LTD, they are all up for sale or have been shipped already!
DUDE!!! I feel your pain, really. Late this summer I had to sell my 43ltd and just recently I decided to trade my much loved 35ltd to grab another 43ltd. I don't have a decades long relationship with my gear, yet still, it was a hard choice to make the trade. I did not flinch at the original sale of my 43ltd because of a family emergency. But trading the 35ltd was really a day of mixed feeling...but it got better once I got to playing with the 43ltd again.
12-09-2009, 03:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Super Program and an A50/1.4. Thought 1.4 was over-rated after I had finally gotten one and an A version at that. So cheap for another impusle buy I can't remember what.

The remorse caught up and now I have two 50/1.4s and a 50/1.7. Seesh...not "A" but it will do.

And the Super Program, overshadowed by my MZ-M, I never gave it a second chance.

12-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

can't say that I have, 'cause I have never sold anything
12-09-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
HAHAHAHA....oh, gawds!! That one really gave me a real belly laugh...because as a rule...it's ME. I had to start selling on eBay or I would be out of space. And I have been at it over a decade and am barely 1/3 of the way through...still have a full 10x20 storage unit full to the ceiling...plus the crap around the house.
12-09-2009, 05:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
That was me until Monday week ago... merrily buying a lens here and a lens there, maybe one a month. Then I made the mistake of having them all out on the kitchen table, giving them a polish and exercising their apertures when the Mrs came in...
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14!!!!
She knew about the DA zooms I had and the little Chinon 50 and the Super Takumar 85 f1.9 but had not seen all of the others at the same time....
"Why have you 2 the same?" picking up the 85s... "uhmm well they're not the same really, one is a f1.8 and the other is a f1.9" ... blank face
"Why do these have their own little bags?" the LTDs, "How much?"
"ahhh I got a couple of great deals on them"
"How MUCH?"
mumbling a little "around €350 or so each"

"but they cost around €850 each new!"
"Whats so special about them?"
I started off, they are Limited, unbelievably good lenses, best in class, gorgeously made etc, etc and that they were 3 of them and I needed 1 more to get the set. Bad move....
"another 1?, no you're not!!!, how many of these do you use?"
"all of them!"
Pick up the Chinon, "thats the one I used to take the picture of the fern that you like!"
Super Takumar 85, "thats the one I used to take pictures the flowers and you loved the colours"
K24, "you know the black and white picture of Kenmare? that was this one"
Getting on a roll now....
"How much will this other one cost?"
"hmm, dunno, maybe €700 to €800"

"Well you have to sell some of these first!"
The K24 went first...
then the Super Tak 50 and Tak 135
Then she says... "You don't have to sell them if you don't want to!"
Hence sellers remorse!
12-09-2009, 05:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That was me until Monday week ago... merrily buying a lens here and a lens there, maybe one a month. Then I made the mistake of having them all out on the kitchen table, giving them a polish and exercising their apertures when the Mrs came in...
She knew about the DA zooms I had and the little Chinon 50 and the Super Takumar 85 f1.9 but had not seen all of the others at the same time....
"Why have you 2 the same?" picking up the 85s... "uhmm well they're not the same really, one is a f1.8 and the other is a f1.9" ... blank face
"How MUCH?"

I started off, they are Limited, unbelievably good lenses, best in class, gorgeously made etc, etc and that they were 3 of them and I needed 1 more to get the set. Bad move....
"all of them!"
Pick up the Chinon, "thats the one I used to take the picture of the fern that you like!"
Super Takumar 85, "thats the one I used to take pictures the flowers and you loved the colours"

The K24 went first...
Hence sellers remorse!
funny story, but my modest 22 lens collection has taken almost 30 years to aquire. I have bought slowly, and for the most part carefully, and as I said somewhere, the only "lesser" lens I ever bought was the super tak 85 F1.9. everything else fits almost uniformly with no overlaps in my kit.

Sure, I upgraded my 70-210 Series 1 version 1 to a sigma APO 70-200 F2.8 EX, and my SMC-FA 28-80 F3.5-4.7 to the Tamron 28-75 F2.8, but those are the only real duplicates I have in 22 lenses.

However, if you are in the unloading mode, I do have a wish list.

Wide and fast SMC Pentax (i.e. K mount) from 20-35, and perhaps as I said, I might consider taking some screw mounts to make a complete screw mount kit only because it is more convenient than taking the adaptor out of a body.
12-09-2009, 05:55 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm putting it down to my Pentax education... This time last year I did not have a DSLR. Now I know about zooms, primes, different generations of lenses, LBA! and every now and again when the gods smile down on me, the stars align I get lucky and take a picture that im really happy with
So the opposite of that excitment you feel when you're planning on the next lens, the price you're willing to go to, the lens you want, you need, the thrill of the hunt, the LBA! must be SRS! Sellers Remorse Syndrome. The feeling when you let one go.....
12-09-2009, 07:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I've sold a lot of lenses, and the only one I regret was a new "old stock" Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro with 1:1 adapter. I only used it once or twice because I was too paranoid about harming it, and then I acquired a nice but obviously used Tokina 90mm macro. Decided to keep the one I felt at ease with, but darn! that Tamron was sweet.
12-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

"How MUCH?"

"all of them!"

The K24 went first...
Hence sellers remorse!
My wife and I have a truce - I have (somewhat) stopped counting noses of her guinea pigs (~50 +/-5), and dutifully once a month go out and pick up 1500 lbs of wood chips and 200 lbs of special blend rabbit food for her critters, along with 2 large bails of Timothy / Orchard grass. I would make make more of an issue, but she was invited to present to all the judges in the US at the national convention and has some of the best animals in the country. So I can't argue with success. (I never knew that you could show guinea pigs! Although she had an Italian Greyhound invited to Crufts a few years ago. She has a knack for genetics.)

I have been acquiring lenses slowly, really not had to part with any yet, although I gave a M 50/2 away to a college student who need a relatively fast lens - keeping the A 50/1.7, both of which I acquired for next to nothing (including shipping). As soon as I move my lazy self, I need to put the FA J 75-300 on the marketplace as it is now duplicates the 55-300. With the 10-17, 12-24, 16-45 and recently acquired FA31Ltd - I really can not complain. The 2 kit lenses I keep in the truck with my K100 for what ever I see going to / from work. I have been able to keep the LBA in check. However 14 and 22 lenses! - I'd have a difficult time figuring out what to use!
12-09-2009, 09:37 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So far, it seems the moral of the story is "don't get married"

Well as for selling...I'm a "cut the cord" type of person. I've had some cool/nice stuff that I just wouldn't use. I mean...I would use it but not use it. See the difference?

I sold my FA 80-320...now my longest lens is 135mm...way not long enough. The FA was pretty good...I was happy with it up to 260mm and was planning on getting a 300 or 400mm prime once it sold.

Still haven't gotten around to it...so I guess that's the one move I "regret" making.

QuoteOriginally posted by Nick Siebers Quote
I've sold a lot of lenses, and the only one I regret was a new "old stock" Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro with 1:1 adapter. I only used it once or twice because I was too paranoid about harming it, and then I acquired a nice but obviously used Tokina 90mm macro. Decided to keep the one I felt at ease with, but darn! that Tamron was sweet.
Nothing wrong with that. My Tamron is really beat up but it gets a lot of use.

I'll be honest...the Limiteds kind of scare me. I think the only way I could have one is to not worry about its outside and use the heck out of it. Wear the finish down...rub the numbers off...like Gary Winograd's camera with film frames worn into the pressure plate...