Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 10:00 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well...it's the right focal length for me...and weather sealing is a must in this neck of the woods. It looks too streamlined for SDM (as well I would think it would be a DA* if it was). I'd like to get it once I hear from others on it's performance..... If they do release a LXd (just guessing), I might be tempted to buy both as a package....

12-10-2009, 10:01 AM   #17
VAV

Have a VL 125 for macro and dont feel the need to get this one. At this point, I dont need a prime longer than my DA Ltd 70mm for non-macro shooting but who knows with LBA...
12-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #18
Nubi

Sure, what the heck . . . .

I might as well buy one.

Last edited by Nubi; 12-10-2009 at 10:08 AM. Reason: Somebody help I have intractable LBA
12-10-2009, 10:11 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd like to see some images from this lens before deciding so one of you guys buy it and post the images. The new diaphragm blades sound intriguing and the WR is a plus. Having f/2.8 instead of the f/4 of my M would be nice too.

12-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wtlwdwgn Quote
I'd like to see some images from this lens before deciding so one of you guys buy it and post the images. The new diaphragm blades sound intriguing and the WR is a plus. Having f/2.8 instead of the f/4 of my M would be nice too.
As soon as someone list it for sale in the USA and I will post images.
12-10-2009, 01:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

meh, it just seems like a way to release a 'new' lens without actually having to design a new optical design.. I would also have prefered a 150mm macro (miss my Sigma 150mm which sill isn't in Pentax mount)...

I may well pick up a cheap old design D-FA 100mm if they all start poping up at decent second hand prices ;-0
12-10-2009, 02:50 PM   #22
Inactive Account

I want to know how it will perform optically, compared to the FA 100.

Guess one will have to wait and see, but sure, i'll sell my FA 100 and by this new one.

12-10-2009, 03:51 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I want to know how it will perform optically, compared to the FA 100.

Guess one will have to wait and see, but sure, i'll sell my FA 100 and by this new one.
I might consider selling mine if the WR 100mm costs around $600 or less. $800 is just too much for me and besides won't justify it's purchase especially if the FA version has a tank body, recessed optics which eliminates the need for a lens hood and aperture ring. I'm not sure though if the new WR 100mm would experience focus hunt due to a longer focus throw since it's not an IF lens. anyway, being a classic lens would make it hard for me to sell the FA100. it has been my top favorite and most used lens before it is starting to get replaced by my newly acquired Sigma 70mm.
12-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stanleyk Quote
But since I have all the other Limiteds, I guess I'll figure out some way to afford it.
The new macro is not a Limited, even though it looks like one.
12-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RBellavance Quote
The new macro is not a Limited, even though it looks like one.
Yeah I don't think it's small enough, although size has never been in the question for them but all Limiteds are small so. For the pricing though yes it is kind of rapeage, I have high doubts that this lens would keep it's 849 MSRP for 4 months. I am going to play a guessing and game that it will drop to 689 not so long after it's release due to lack of sales. Now that they moved their factories to Vietnam, I am guessing they are paying them more than their Japanese workers?
12-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Yeah I don't think it's small enough, although size has never been in the question for them but all Limiteds are small so. For the pricing though yes it is kind of rapeage, I have high doubts that this lens would keep it's 849 MSRP for 4 months. I am going to play a guessing and game that it will drop to 689 not so long after it's release due to lack of sales. Now that they moved their factories to Vietnam, I am guessing they are paying them more than their Japanese workers?
I highly doubt it. the reason that most well-established companies move their manufacturing plant to the south-east asian regions is to minimize cost of labor while maintaining a high premium of exported goods. some maintain the quality standards as that of the original processing plant, but some don't. I had my terrible experience of Nike shoes in particular that were made in Vietnam. they don't have the same materials, clean finish , etc... as compared to the other manufacturing plants like China, Taiwan and others, but still being sold at the same price range. I call it travesty since those shoes were no good cosmetically speaking nor comfort.

eventhough let's say that a well-known company must protect it's name and establishments, I don't see that they follow a stricter quality control policy nowadays. to each his own how their local supervisors allow these things inorder to save costs and increase productivity and profit. long gone are the days that even a simple scratch or a tiny spilled glue on a product would be deemed as a factory reject immediately. no wonder big companies nowadays tend to crash and burn.
12-10-2009, 10:03 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I absolutely intend to get it. I've used my regular D-FA 100mm Macro in the rain more times than I can count - just very carefully and judiciously. I'd love to just be able to go out and traipse around without worrying about the lens since I already have a sealed body.

But I have to say that if it _did_ have SDM, I'd have to think twice. I'm just too worried every time I take those lenses out that they'll fail. I don't mean to turn this into an SDM thread, but it's a real concern for me, and the fact that this new lens doesn't have it counts in its favor, in my opinion.
12-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I'll be honest that despite thinking that it's the best looking current generation Pentax, at its current price, I'll just put a ziplock over the current macro.... It's the same price as an FA 77 lim! is it really worth thaaat much?
12-11-2009, 01:47 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
I'll be honest that despite thinking that it's the best looking current generation Pentax, at its current price, I'll just put a ziplock over the current macro.... It's the same price as an FA 77 lim! is it really worth thaaat much?
that is yet to be seen. if the rounded aperture blades makes it perform like the FA77 or better, then it's a no contest that it is worth it's price. it would look like a WR LTD lens.
12-11-2009, 02:52 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would be interested in it were it not for the fact that there are lot of options for ~100mm macros in the K-mount - both AF and manual.

If you going to weather-resist older optical designs and re-release them in someways a macro makes sense given that it will often get used outside. However I think what Pentax should have done is design and release a:

DA* 150mm f/4 SDM Macro -> with IF and focus limiter

As it stands the new WR lens doesn't offer enough new things to get existing 100mm macro lens users to upgrade or new lens buyers to choose it over, say, the Tamron 90mm. IMO anyway.

I've been waiting a long time for Pentax to re-use the old FA* 200mm Macro optical design and add SDM and weathersealing or release something along these lines. Ah well.

I guess this is seen as a quick win for Pentax without too much investment.