Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just asking? FF

Why would Pentax release a D FA FF lens that is weather sealed? I like the fact I can slap it on my MZ-S...but all Pentax film bodies are not weather sealed. What sort of sense does a full frame weather sealed lens make.....if it wasn't for a FF weather sealed body?

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0912/09120903pentax100mm.asp

I'm just asking (hoping)

12-10-2009, 02:40 AM   #2

A camera is disposable. After a few years you just resell it or throw it in the bucket. The lens, on the other hand, is an investment and can be kept a very long time, provided on fungus gets in it, hence the weather sealing.
12-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Think of it this way; they took the original D FA 100mm macro, and WR'd it. They didn't change the optics, just took away the aperture ring and WR'd it. since the optics are the same, the image circle covers FF.

So, the question is why WOULDN'T they advertise the fact that you could use it on an MZ-S if you wanted to?
12-10-2009, 02:47 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
So, the question is why WOULDN'T they advertise the fact that you could use it on an MZ-S if you wanted to?
Because advertising compatibility with film cameras is not an excessively popular to convince someone to buy your lens? :P Let's face it, us film shooters are the minority.

I do think this bodes well for a Pentax FF body in the future - we've been heading down the DA path for some time now, and this reversal (and removal of aperture ring) suggests that we're looking at a new body.

I'm ecstatic, just absolutely thrilled. Seriously.

12-10-2009, 02:50 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
A camera is disposable. After a few years you just resell it or throw it in the bucket. The lens, on the other hand, is an investment and can be kept a very long time, provided on fungus gets in it, hence the weather sealing.
I don't think Pentax would make a weather sealed lens so fungus can't get in...it would anyways. I appreciate your point though.....some cameras are disposable...but not all...

ps....my asahiflex, AP, K, H2, spot, ME Super, 6x7, 67, 67II, mz-s...not going in the bucket any time soon......
12-10-2009, 02:55 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RawheaD Quote
Think of it this way; they took the original D FA 100mm macro, and WR'd it. They didn't change the optics, just took away the aperture ring and WR'd it. since the optics are the same, the image circle covers FF.

the aperture blades' shape are rounded in the WR 100mm.
12-10-2009, 02:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxoid Quote
I'm not sure if that would solve the fungus problem. though I'm certain that a lil bit of mycostatin cream would do the job.
12-10-2009, 03:01 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by potatolicious Quote
Because advertising compatibility with film cameras is not an excessively popular to convince someone to buy your lens? :P Let's face it, us film shooters are the minority.

I do think this bodes well for a Pentax FF body in the future - we've been heading down the DA path for some time now, and this reversal (and removal of aperture ring) suggests that we're looking at a new body.

I'm ecstatic, just absolutely thrilled. Seriously.
I am too...I have a ton of FF glass...lets hope it's what we think it is.

12-10-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
I am too...I have a ton of FF glass...lets hope it's what we think it is.
better start hoarding those FF lenses being sold in the marketplace.