Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #1

Pentax A 70-210mm built-in lens hood question

This lens is supposed to have an extendable built-in lens hood

I can't seem to find it. Do you pull it out ? twist and pull?

is-it a removable thing?

I got this lens at a yard sales, so maybe the owner took it off?

can someone who is familiar with this lens shed some light please

thanks

here is the lens:

Pentax Lens Review and Specification Database - 70-210mm F4

12-10-2009, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by manteiv Quote
This lens is supposed to have an extendable built-in lens hood
It is just as you say. Turn the focus to the closest, pull the zoom to 210mm, so the barrel is pushed out as far as it will go. Now look at the push-pull barrel (the bit with the rubber grip), move your gaze along and you'll see the lens barrel inside it. About an inch up the barrel will indent in a bit. If you find that the barrel continues like that to the end, then the hood has been removed. If you find that there is just a line around the barrel and no indent, then the hood is there but fully retracted. The hood simply pulls out - you do not need to twist it, but you can twist if you wish.

I suspect that the hood has been removed, or is jammed fully retracted. That is not an issue. 58mm hoods for 200mm lenses are freely available used.

The lens is a good one, once you've got a hood you'll really like what it can do.

Richard
12-10-2009, 10:51 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by richard64 Quote
It is just as you say. Turn the focus to the closest, pull the zoom to 210mm, so the barrel is pushed out as far as it will go. Now look at the push-pull barrel (the bit with the rubber grip), move your gaze along and you'll see the lens barrel inside it. About an inch up the barrel will indent in a bit. If you find that the barrel continues like that to the end, then the hood has been removed. If you find that there is just a line around the barrel and no indent, then the hood is there but fully retracted. The hood simply pulls out - you do not need to twist it, but you can twist if you wish.

I suspect that the hood has been removed, or is jammed fully retracted. That is not an issue. 58mm hoods for 200mm lenses are freely available used.

The lens is a good one, once you've got a hood you'll really like what it can do.

Richard
I will have a closer look at the lens tonight when I get home from work.

Mine has a pretty bad zoom creep, if I point the lens straight up or down, the barrel collapse readily. I heard it is like that even new. Is yours doing that too?
12-10-2009, 11:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Yes, hood is built in. You simply have to pull it out, possibly twist it. It is as richard64 states. And yes, both of my copies have zoom creep - more prevalent when lens is pointed down, not as much when lens is pointed up.

This lens is awesome IMHO (disclosure: I'm selling one of my copies to come up with more LBA funds - see here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/82369-sale-pe...-210mm-f4.html). Constant f4 aperture, light compared to the Vivitar S1 f3.5 and works in most Auto modes on the Pentax digital bodies.

Last edited by PentHassyKon; 12-10-2009 at 11:15 AM. Reason: added zoom creep
12-17-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
A Proud PENTAXER !!!

QuoteOriginally posted by manteiv Quote
Mine has a pretty bad zoom creep, if I point the lens straight up or down, the barrel collapse readily. I heard it is like that even new. Is yours doing that too?
Mine has "good" zoom creep - <g>. For me, being able to zoom in or out rapidly with a one-touch zoom like the A 70-210/4, without having to fight against zoom/focus ring stiffness, is a plus, very important with any sort of action shooting. (For fixed shooting, some people use a suitably sized rubber band when pointing in an up or down direction.)
12-17-2009, 11:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The exact same lens arrived for me yesterday from a used dealer, and I must say that so far I'm very impressed with its handling and IQ, and also since I haven't yet experienced the zoom creep that I read about before deciding to go for it. Right now everything is very solid, so I'm wondering if the creep will appear and increase with use? Sorry to deflect the topic away from the lens hood (which fortunately mine has), but I thought I'd raise the question about creep while it was on my mind.

p.s. I'm also glad that I no longer have to save up for the Sigma 70-200 or the DA 60-250! To heck with f2.8 and/or AF if it means I spent at least $900 CDN less!
12-19-2009, 07:52 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens kicks butt, nice colors, nice contrast, weights a "ton". Hood is attached, pullout type. Bought mine around 1985.
And yes it has zoom creep.

Cheers, Mike.

edit, the lens was meant to be held by the barrel while using, zooming and focusing, therefore zoom creep never did show up if used properly.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 12-19-2009 at 07:59 PM.
12-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ex Finn. Quote
Lens kicks butt, nice colors, nice contrast, weights a "ton".
Actually I thought mine to be quite light in comparison to my Tamron 70-200/2.8. Pretty nice little lens, (A 70-210/4), and yes mine has quite bad creep also. One-touch zooms are pretty neat, that's all I was used to back in the film days. Took a while getting used to these "modern" zooms!