Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 10:54 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Teleconverter for DA 60-250mm?

I have been trying for a week to locate a teleconverter suitable for use with a DA 60-250mm F4ED[IF] SDM lens. Online and phone shopping, as we do not live near any camera stores.

All vendors have said "No" so far. Has anyone had success using a t-c with this lens?

12-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm interested in one too. Preferably a 1.4x, but that Tamron Pz-AF goes for around $200 used, and I don't think any new ones exist anywhere. Don't know yet about the Kenko 1.5x Pz-AF MC DG Teleplus.

But still looking for a TC...
12-11-2009, 12:08 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've got a 1.5x TC from Kenko that works fine with my 60-250, AF works rather well.
Bought it on the Internet, second hand.
There are a large number of TC's available second hand.

Otherwise have a look at the Soligor TC's. You can order them new around the world.

For instance: Soligor 2x Teleconverter C/D7 AF, voor Pentax / Samsung 43825 - alle bekende merken voordelig kopen bij Kamera-Express.nl

Success, Bert
12-11-2009, 04:14 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Tom - welcome to the forum.

Ask yourself this: if you had a Ferrari would you put cheapo tyres on it?

I bought a Tamron 1.4 Pz AF second hand out of curiosity and the bottom line is that a crop from the 60-250 on it's own makes a picture with it on the TC look a bit silly.

If you can get a Pentax AF TC it may be a little better, but you are going to pay for it.

Last edited by Oggy; 12-11-2009 at 04:17 PM. Reason: typo
12-12-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
Pentaxian

From what I know, none of the current TCs works reliably with the Pentax DA 60-250mm.

By "reliably" I mean you can buy it unseen and be sure that the combo TC + lens will autofocus.

I have a Tamron 1.4X TC, the one with power contacts. The combo can autofocus if the lens is set at 60mm. When the lens is about 200mm out, the lens keeps hunting back and forth. It ultimately locks in focus but I don't call it "working reliably." The symptom is the same as with the DA 50-135mm. There are reports that the Tamron 1.4X TC works but for each person saying it works there is another saying it doesn't.

My Tamron 2X TC, also with power contacts, just doesn't autofocus with the DA 60-250mm and the DA 50-135mm at all.

The only TC that works with those two lenses is the Pentax 1.7X AFA. But that one is a different animal.
12-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
From what I know, none of the current TCs works reliably with the Pentax DA 60-250mm.

By "reliably" I mean you can buy it unseen and be sure that the combo TC + lens will autofocus.
My Kenko 1.5 AF Teleplus absolutely works fine in daylight.
AF is as fast as without it.
It does not work that well with my DA* 16-50mm though, however the DA* 60-250mm works fine!

Just do not try to use it at night time.

- Bert
12-12-2009, 10:47 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
.. a crop from the 60-250 on it's own makes a picture with it on the TC look a bit silly.
Yes, I was thinking that might be the case!

If you can get a Pentax AF TC it may be a little better, but you are going to pay for it.
I tried asking for Pentax - got same boring answer - it will not work with that lens. I was/am starting to wonder if they were well informed or simply if the lens was newer than their compatibility tables.

And all the rest of you - thanks for the info! I may try the Kenko, if I can find it here in The Great White North. I want more zoom for bird pictures in Scotland next spring.
12-12-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Inactive Account

If you can find one of these F 1.7X AF I believe they work OK. You'll find them between the hen's teeth and the rocking horse poo, and they will cost a lot (maybe $200-500). That is for something that might work. That is why I went for the Sigma 150-500.

12-12-2009, 04:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't remeber now, but someone in DPReview had mentioned which works better, I think it is the 1.4 Tamron TC. You may want to post your question there as well. Brandrx at DPR has tried some combos and you will get an answer from someone who had actually used these combos there.

Im my experience, the price of the TC alone doesn't necessarily imply quality with a lens. It is extremely lens specific. It is not always the case that the crop is better, at time I find the TC to be much better than crop to make it worhy to lose light by using a TC. I hear this argument often but I remember reading when i was contemplating a system with Nikon or Canon, that one of their telephoto lens combo works better with a TC than on it's own. So, sharper and contrasty at 420mm with a TC, than the lens alone at 300.

The 1.7 AFA for instance worked well with the Tamron adptall 300/2.8 but was horroble with the sigma 100-300. The tamron 1.4 TC was the best for the sigma 100-300, as compared to Pentax 1.7 AFA, and sigma 1.4 TC.

No one knows which works better with the 60-250 until they experiment with it, nothing else matters.
12-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Pentaxian

If you can find one of these F 1.7X AF I believe they work OK. You'll find them between the hen's teeth and the rocking horse poo, and they will cost a lot (maybe $200-500). That is for something that might work. That is why I went for the Sigma 150-500.
I have a Pentax AF1.7x as well. That one works different from the other TC I have.
There is an AF system IN the TC, screw drive operated. There is a lens that moves within the TC.
Hence, if you manually focus more or less you subject, the camera's AF in combination with the TC's AF to finish it off. Works rather well and is independent of the lens AF system (SDM will not work).

- Bert
12-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

Ask yourself this: if you had a Ferrari would you put cheapo tyres on it?

Not missing your point, but I would indeed do this, but only if the cheapo tyres made my Ferrari go faster and handle better.

I managed to secure a Tamron 1.4x TC from the MarketPlace, so providing all goes well, I will advise my experiences.