Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 02:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Does teleconverter installation sequence matter?

Seems like i read somewhere that the teleconverter, in my case a Tamron 1.4X, should go on the body before the lens is installed, usuallly my DA300 if that matters.

Does anyone know the basis for that recommendation is? is it the mechanical fit, the AF connection, etc. i don't get why.

I suppose for really heavy lenses, that assembly of converters and lenses to the body is best done in smaller pieces, but a 300mm lens isn't all that heavy, esp at f4. If someone wanted to store their lens and converter assembly together, because it was most often used that way, why would the equipment be affected one way or the other.

thank you,

12-10-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Heh, I originally read this as something completely different.

No, I don't think it really matters (if anything, just weight and mechanical stress in rare cases), just like the M42 adapter.
12-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I personally always fit the tc to the lens and then mount the complete assembly to the camera. Never had a problem with that apporach.

Ben
12-10-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
I personally always fit the tc to the lens and then mount the complete assembly to the camera. Never had a problem with that apporach.

Ben
This is what I do too.

12-10-2009, 04:07 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I don't pay any attention to the sequence (whatever seems most convenient at the time) I've had no problems--that I'm aware of.
12-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #6
Forum Member

The manual for my Sigma TC says to mount it to the lens first rather than the camera body, so that's what I've always done. Not that I can imagine how doing it the other way round would cause any problems.
12-10-2009, 05:45 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Only thing I'd suggest is doing it in such a way that you don't expose the inside of the camera to the air (= dust) longer than necessary. So if you mount the TC to the lens first, do it with your previous lens mounted to your camera. If you are planning to mount the TC to the lens currently on your camera, that would imply mounting the TC to camera first after removing the lens.
12-10-2009, 08:03 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Only thing I'd suggest is doing it in such a way that you don't expose the inside of the camera to the air (= dust) longer than necessary. So if you mount the TC to the lens first, do it with your previous lens mounted to your camera. If you are planning to mount the TC to the lens currently on your camera, that would imply mounting the TC to camera first after removing the lens.
I agree with this.

12-10-2009, 08:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I think it can also mean to minimize dust/contact with the front end of the TC.