Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Voigtlander lens on K20D K7 ... possible?

Just curious, and maybe interested to buy, to find out if a Voigtlander "M" type lens would be "fittable" on a K20D/K7?
I might be able to have one for cheap if that is possible.
Thanks,
JP

12-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With M-type you mean Leica M mount? If so, the problem is, that the flange distance on M Leicas is shorter than on a Pentax DSLR and you won't be able to focus to infinity.

I also would stick with Pentax. The few Pentax lenses made in M-mount (the 43mm limited) are highly sought after for a reason!

Ben
12-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
With M-type you mean Leica M mount? If so, the problem is, that the flange distance on M Leicas is shorter than on a Pentax DSLR and you won't be able to focus to infinity.

I also would stick with Pentax. The few Pentax lenses made in M-mount (the 43mm limited) are highly sought after for a reason!

Ben
All I know it that it is a "M" lens.
I suppose it wouldn't be worth the expense and the trouble to get something that can't focus all the way.
True that the 43mmLtd is quite a piece! (and pricey!!).
JP
12-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Voigtlander has made lenses for Pentax mounts, but they have also made lenses for other mounts. If the lens was meant for Pentax, it should work fine, but if not, then it won't. I'd agree that if it says "M", that's probably Leica, and hence no dice.

12-10-2009, 07:30 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Voigtlander has made lenses for Pentax mounts, but they have also made lenses for other mounts. If the lens was meant for Pentax, it should work fine, but if not, then it won't. I'd agree that if it says "M", that's probably Leica, and hence no dice.
Thanks Marc,
I know Voigt has Pentax-ready lenses but what I was wondering was: is there such a thing as an adaptor to mount Voigt "M" lenses on a Pentax, much the same as the M42-type lenses?
Some Leica lenses, with the appropriate "fittings" and adaptor are rumounred to be working well with the Pentax K-mount too.
In short, I am just curious.
JP
12-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #6
Voe
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Thanks Marc,
I know Voigt has Pentax-ready lenses but what I was wondering was: is there such a thing as an adaptor to mount Voigt "M" lenses on a Pentax, much the same as the M42-type lenses?
Some Leica lenses, with the appropriate "fittings" and adaptor are rumounred to be working well with the Pentax K-mount too.
In short, I am just curious.
JP
Hi JP,

Physically it is not possible to create an adapter for any Leica or Voigtlander "M" lenses because of the much shorter mount register of the M mount. If such an adapter exist it has to actually be situated inside the camera, but still it's not possible because it will collide with the mirror of the Pentax camera.

Yes with some Leica lenses it is possible to be mounted on Pentax camera by changing the lens mount with Leitax mount adapter. For example I have changed the mount of my Leica R Summicron 50mm f/2 and now I'm using it with great success on my Pentax K7. These Leica lenses have a different R mount, and the mount register is also longer than that of Pentax so conversion is possible.

On theory the only way to mount any M mount lens on Pentax and get focus to infinity is by severely modifying the lens. I had a few failures and never succeeded, so I speak from experience.
12-11-2009, 01:39 AM   #7

You can get an adapter to use M mount on micro four thirds, but I think that's your only option outside a Leica or Bessa bodies.
12-11-2009, 09:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Hi JP,

Physically it is not possible to create an adapter for any Leica or Voigtlander "M" lenses because of the much shorter mount register of the M mount. If such an adapter exist it has to actually be situated inside the camera, but still it's not possible because it will collide with the mirror of the Pentax camera.

Yes with some Leica lenses it is possible to be mounted on Pentax camera by changing the lens mount with Leitax mount adapter. For example I have changed the mount of my Leica R Summicron 50mm f/2 and now I'm using it with great success on my Pentax K7. These Leica lenses have a different R mount, and the mount register is also longer than that of Pentax so conversion is possible.

On theory the only way to mount any M mount lens on Pentax and get focus to infinity is by severely modifying the lens. I had a few failures and never succeeded, so I speak from experience.
Well, that settles the issue then; I just won't bother about this M-type Voigtlander lens after all.
It is interesting to know that one can have Leica lenses to fit the Pentax mount, such as you describe regarding the Leica "R" types. I don't suppose all R lenses would be thus "fittable" that way?
So, that means that if someone acquires a good, used Leica R lens, it could be fitted on the Pentax camera ... we never know, I might one day find something like that at a flea market!

Cheers.
JP

12-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Well, that settles the issue then; I just won't bother about this M-type Voigtlander lens after all.
It is interesting to know that one can have Leica lenses to fit the Pentax mount, such as you describe regarding the Leica "R" types. I don't suppose all R lenses would be thus "fittable" that way?
So, that means that if someone acquires a good, used Leica R lens, it could be fitted on the Pentax camera ... we never know, I might one day find something like that at a flea market!

Cheers.
JP
Basically all "R" lenses should be adaptable. The difference between "m" and "R" is, that the M-lenses are made for the Leica M rangefinder system, whereas the R-lenses are made for the Leica R SLRs. These ofcourse have a longer registration distance, wheras the rangefinders only need a short one.
Further more, extreme wide-angle lenses with M-mount can have a protruding rear element, which is no problem for a rangefinder, wheras in a SLR, the mirro would collide and ruin the camera.

Ben
12-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You can use these M mount lenses on micro fourthirds through adaptor costing about 175 US dollars.
12-12-2009, 09:43 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
Basically all "R" lenses should be adaptable. The difference between "m" and "R" is, that the M-lenses are made for the Leica M rangefinder system, whereas the R-lenses are made for the Leica R SLRs. These ofcourse have a longer registration distance, wheras the rangefinders only need a short one.
Further more, extreme wide-angle lenses with M-mount can have a protruding rear element, which is no problem for a rangefinder, wheras in a SLR, the mirro would collide and ruin the camera.

Ben
Thanks for your reply, Ben.
I did search and found the Leitax site where one can actually order a kit to mount Leica lenses on a Pentax.
Mind you, the prices for Leica lenses are ... ouch!
JP