Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 03:25 PM   #1

Limited and * lenses

Why is it that all DA primes are either Limited or * lenses?

Are they all really deserving or is it just that pentax has decided that it good marketing to call everything limited or * lens?

Correct me if i'm wrong but the only non * or Limited lens in the DA line up is the SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8...

12-10-2009, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter

DA limited lenses are made of metals and are excellent. None of the DA limiteds are fakes, none of them are using misleading monikers.

DA* lenses are waterproof, SDM, and excellent. None of the DA* lenses are fakes, none of them are using misleading monikers.
12-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
DA* lenses are weather/dust-resistant
Corrected.
12-11-2009, 01:26 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I guess Pentax just think it's not worthwhile to make a prime that's not a limited. Looking at how badly people want a DA 30/1.4 though, this might be a wrong decision

12-11-2009, 02:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The idea with the DA Limiteds is that they are the most compact lenses and also are full metal with exclusive build quality.

The DA 14 is full metal too, but it is not by any means a compact and small lens. So that is why it is not a Limited. And it is not a DA Star because it is neither weather sealed nor has SDM focusing.
12-11-2009, 02:23 AM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Goes to show the pride Pentax takes in producing its primes.
All of them deserve the ltd status IMO.
12-14-2009, 09:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Isn't the 14/2.8 older than the DA* series? It had the unfortunate luck of being born too soon. It is still a metal construction, of amazing quality, and puts out incredible images. I would have made a fine DA* lens. I someties wish it was wider though. 14 is pretty wide, but I have that and the 16-50/2.8, and I don't find myself reaching too often for the 14, just for 2 more mm, and the image quality on both is just so spectacular, I can't find that as a reasong to favor the prime. I think they should release a DA* 12/2.8, now that would be something to behold, and would really fill in the bottom end nicely.

12-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by domfijac Quote
Why is it that all DA primes are either Limited or * lenses?

Are they all really deserving or is it just that pentax has decided that it good marketing to call everything limited or * lens?

Correct me if i'm wrong but the only non * or Limited lens in the DA line up is the SMC Pentax-DA 14mm F2.8...
Coincidence so far, I'd say. But, since most consumers nowadays stick to zooms, I guess it makes sense that the DA primes are of higher quality.

I must admit, however, that it was nicer back in the FA days, where you could choose to go down either the regular FA route, or the FA* route, as both lineups covered a full range of lenses.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: