Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Sigma APO DG MACRO HSM 70-200mm Teleconverter Issue

Hi,

I have a K10D and own a Sigma APO DG MACRO HSM 70-200 lens, F 1:2.8 . I bought the camera and lens new.

I went to a local camera store chain, and tested a 1.4 teleconverter on the lens, which did not work! The display for exposure and f-stop in the viewfinder flashed continuously, and there was no auto focus.

The camera shop staff checked on their website and found a bulletin that said the K10D and this lens were incompatible. Another store in the same chain, that sold me the camera brought in a 2.0 teleconverter and had the same results.

I just read on the Third Party lens reviews that some people have no problem using a tele on their lens.

The Sigma distributor in Canada has not responded to my email about this issue, but I heard a "rumor" from the camera chain staff that Sigma was aware of the problem and may be releasing a fix, either in a new lens or an update.

I wonder if anyone has had a similar experience?

I really want to get a 2.0 teleconverter on this lens, part of the logic for buying it was a 400mm plus lens.

I really like the lens, and have had great success with it so far.

Look forward to hearing of a work around or a solution.

Thanks,

robeffy

12-10-2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma have not released a HSM compatible TC for Pentax yet.
12-10-2009, 11:37 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Even the Tamron 1.4x TC which is HSM compatible does not provide reliable AF function beyond about 180mm (as far as I've tested). No other HSM-capable TCs are available at this stage.
12-11-2009, 01:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

When the TC fails just MF and this will lessen the problem,I have a sigma 1.4TC a kenko 1.5 Tc and the fable Tamron TC nothing stopping you using Manual focus

cheers

12-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
Hi,

I have a K10D and own a Sigma APO DG MACRO HSM 70-200 lens, F 1:2.8 . I bought the camera and lens new.

I went to a local camera store chain, and tested a 1.4 teleconverter on the lens, which did not work! The display for exposure and f-stop in the viewfinder flashed continuously, and there was no auto focus.
One of the reasons I bought the MKI APO EX version of the lens.

Sigma have been saying they will release a new 1.4x and 2x teleconverter for about 12 months now.
12-12-2009, 02:57 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Even the Tamron 1.4x TC which is HSM compatible does not provide reliable AF function beyond about 180mm (as far as I've tested). No other HSM-capable TCs are available at this stage.
Doas that 180mm restriction also happen on the Sigma 70-200 HSM?
12-13-2009, 09:06 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Cupic,

So, even though my Fstop display and exposure are flashing, the camera is still working and there is no damage going on?

12-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ROBEFFY Quote
Hi Cupic,

So, even though my Fstop display and exposure are flashing, the camera is still working and there is no damage going on?
I have this lens on a K10D with a Kenko 1.5 Pz-Az. The f-stop shows normally from 70-200 but is as the lens sees it and not adjusted for the TC, if f2.8 than it is f4. It will focus hunt in low light, switch to manual to remove the problem. In good conditions, it performs well.
12-13-2009, 01:05 PM   #9
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
Doas that 180mm restriction also happen on the Sigma 70-200 HSM?
Yes mate. On the new copy I evaluated from B&H, the 70-200 HSM just hunted in an oscillatory manner without being able to lock on focus whilst having the TC on it. Without the TC of course it was fine. But to me it defeats the purpose of having an SDM/HSM capable TC if it's not able to extend the long end of a lens reliably.
12-13-2009, 04:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes mate. On the new copy I evaluated from B&H, the 70-200 HSM just hunted in an oscillatory manner without being able to lock on focus whilst having the TC on it. Without the TC of course it was fine. But to me it defeats the purpose of having an SDM/HSM capable TC if it's not able to extend the long end of a lens reliably.
Good to know, thanks. 95% of my pics with my 70-200 are with a 1.4x, but the other 5% I have to have f2.8, so I'll stick with my non-HSM version for now. Surely Sigma realise (and Pentax for that matter) that this is a killer for their HSM model as so many wnat the flexibility to be able to use a TC.
12-14-2009, 08:41 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've heard of the Kenko brand TC's.

It's a puzzler, I want the integrated features, but may have to settle for less. For now, I suspect I'll just sit tight.

The bummer is I have an old but perfectly servicable Edixa 70-230 F4 and a screw mount adapter. Maybe I'll just start to use that, and get a TC for that lens, if I have to focus manually anyways.

Thanks,
Rob
12-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I totally agree. The HSM is great, but for it to not work with the TC on a long zoom, it's disappointing.

Thanks everyone for your input!

Rob
12-15-2009, 03:43 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have a Kenko Pz-AF TELEPLUS SHQ 1.5x TC which works great with the Sigma HSM 70-200 lens. Usually this TC lives on my DA*300 f4 and I really don't have a reason to use it on the 70-200 but I tried it out to reply to this thread and it worked just fine.

I also have the P-AF Teleplus MC version which is not HSM/SDM compatible.

The SHQ TC has one less electrical contact pin and the old Power Zoom contacts that allow the TC to work with HSM lenses.

The SHQ version is really hard to find so jumped on one when it appeared in the market place earlier this year.
12-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Wow,

You the MAN!

I have to find one of those, the timing is perfect, with Christmas around the corner.

Do you like the quality, is there any down side on performance? I know I will lose some F Stop using a TC, but I can afford it with the F2.8.

Thanks for the reply,
Rob