Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 01:46 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Need exploded assembly diagram

Hi, I have the silver Pentax FA 100-300mm 4.7 AF lens. I need the schematic for it to reassembly it.
For some reason when it is locked into the "A" position, it does not tell the camera it is locked.

12-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, no diagram, and I haven't seen this exact lens. The problem is probably the electrical connection between the A contact on the lens mount and the lens mount. Lenses like this have as many as 6 contacts on the mount close to the recess for the locking pin. When you take the mount off, there's a tiny brass or steel spring connecting the rounded pin on the mount to another contact on the lens body. One of these lens body contacts connects to a switch that's controlled by the A position on the aperture ring. When the aperture ring is locked in the A position, there's a connection between the lens mount and that A contact. Then the other contacts tell the camera about the lens. Make sure all the springs are installed and making good contact, and the switch mechanism is working, and the lens should work.
12-11-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My initial test showed no connection on the second pin to the ground. When the lens is in the "A" position pin 2 should have continueity to ground on a working lens. (I know this from my other FA lenses) I disassembled the lens, all the pins where good. I think the problem is the very small and fine ribbon cable. No real way to fix, so I guess I am going to have to toss the lens out. Too bad, it was mint....
12-11-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, you don't really need the complicated switch bit to work. If you can create a connection between the A contact and the lens mount, the lens will be permanently in A according to the camera, where it is a lot more useful.

12-11-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K200Duser Quote
No real way to fix, so I guess I am going to have to toss the lens out. Too bad, it was mint....
To save the environment, toss the lens to me! I'll even pay postage :P (I mean that in jest but PM me if you're being serious!)

Seriously though, is not having the 'A' setting really so bad? I have an older 'M' series camera so it's really not such a problem. It only becomes a pain because of the crippled mount on newer cameras,
12-11-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Still one last shot at it...

Well, I still would like to try and get it all put back together first, hence the schematic I need. There are 6 very thin shims that go in between the tubes, and it is very hard to see how they go back in. It's not something I could have taken pictures of first as the shims are buried in the assem...Also I need the diagram to show me the proper alignment of getting the assembly back together.
12-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Humpty dumpty....

Well it's been three days now and I still can't get this thing assembled right. All the cam gears and their starting postitions are messing me up. I can only guess how to put the shims in when I can't even get it together first. I wonder how much pentax would charge if I just mailed all the pieces to them?
KR
12-13-2009, 07:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

You could always try Eric...

12-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry, who's Eric?
12-13-2009, 09:36 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Home

I dont know if he does repairs on lens that have electronic components in them but he would be the one to answer that question
12-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
How do I get hold of him?
12-15-2009, 02:14 AM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by K200Duser Quote
How do I get hold of him?
The link gokenin provided should include contact info for Eric. For the exploded parts schematic, call Pentax parts dept -- they sent me one for my FA 50/1.4 a while back.
12-15-2009, 03:29 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Back together again... still no A setting

Wow, finally got it all back together. Though it still does not communicate to the camera that the lens is in the "A" position. Lens autofocuses and zooms great. I have to use it in the manual camera setting only. If I use Av, or program I get the flashing "f" in the viewfiner. When I use a fully working FA lens, the aperature number is displayed when in Av or program...
Oh, well,
Any one interested in purchasing it