Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2009, 10:31 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Oh Craigslist, you hurt me so.

I've been browsing CL for a 135mm screw-mount lens for some macro work and I keep coming across this,
PENTAX SUPER TAKUMAR 135mm f/3.5-$50

Now from what I hear, this is a very good lens. I wouldn't dream of knocking it's quality, but $50 is a bit steep.

Still, I keep coming back to this ad because of how great the photos look. I bought a Super Tak 55mm, and I have to say that the stark black and white looks fantastic.

A shame I don't have much disposable income at the moment. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider it.

12-11-2009, 10:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I'll gladly buy it and keep it for you til you have the cash. by that time, I'll sell it for 150 bucks !
12-11-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jadedrakerider Quote
I've been browsing CL for a 135mm screw-mount lens for some macro work and I keep coming across this,
PENTAX SUPER TAKUMAR 135mm f/3.5-$50

Now from what I hear, this is a very good lens. I wouldn't dream of knocking it's quality, but $50 is a bit steep.

Still, I keep coming back to this ad because of how great the photos look. I bought a Super Tak 55mm, and I have to say that the stark black and white looks fantastic.

A shame I don't have much disposable income at the moment. Otherwise, I'd seriously consider it.
The price sounds about right, depending on condition. You could always offer them $38.

Steve

P.S. I just looked at the listing. Both of those lenses appear to be in A-1 condition. Make them an offer if you really want the lens. Alternatively, I think Knight Camera in Vancouver has a Vivitar 135/2.8. Again, if the price is too high, make an offer.
12-11-2009, 11:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was telling my dad about an ad I kept seeing on CL for something like this, just a bit overpriced. He said, "Well, call 'em up and offer something less. After all, by now they have to be tired of paying for that ad every time."

Anyway, although it's a good lens, you know its minimum focus distance is ~5 feet, right? I am not a macro expert, but aren't you going to need a lot of extension tubes or bellows to make that useful? Just fooling around with stuff I can reach, 68mm of extension tubes gets me what looks like 1:2.5 magnification at say 20 inches from the sensor (wild estimates really).

12-12-2009, 01:09 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I think Knight Camera in Vancouver has a Vivitar 135/2.8. Again, if the price is too high, make an offer.
Well, I have a Panagor 135mm. The thing is that I have a Canon Rebel and an EOS with a set of macro tubes for the EOS mount and I just ordered an m42 to EOS mount. I got tired of using the DoF Preview trick.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I was telling my dad about an ad I kept seeing on CL for something like this, just a bit overpriced. He said, "Well, call 'em up and offer something less. After all, by now they have to be tired of paying for that ad every time."
I never thought of that! ^.^

Anyway, although it's a good lens, you know its minimum focus distance is ~5 feet, right? I am not a macro expert, but aren't you going to need a lot of extension tubes or bellows to make that useful? Just fooling around with stuff I can reach, 68mm of extension tubes gets me what looks like 1:2.5 magnification at say 20 inches from the sensor (wild estimates really).
I have a set of macro rings. I don't know a lot about macro photography. I'm at a loss finding specific details on the technical details so I'm kind of winging it at I go. The idea is to get some pretty good close up photos but keep some distance between the subject and I.

But at that aperture light loss might be too significant for insects and arachnids.
12-12-2009, 12:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

But craigslist ads are free to post. No one's paying for anything.

but the point remains, that there's nothing stopping your from offering less. CL is a place where haggling is expected. Unless the price says "firm", most people post things with an expectation that they will be negotiated.
12-12-2009, 01:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
But craigslist ads are free to post. No one's paying for anything.

but the point remains, that there's nothing stopping your from offering less. CL is a place where haggling is expected. Unless the price says "firm", most people post things with an expectation that they will be negotiated.
eventhough sometimes it say the price is firm, if it's not sold for 2 weeks, expect the seller to open up for negotiations. some are even posted for months, with no apparent buyer. the idea is to offer them a deal that they cannot refuse or which is fair enough that the seller would agree to your terms. of course, low-balling is futile so raise it up atleast more than half the average market price. state the term, "willing to buy immediately" or "open to negotiations at a certain amount", and give your contact number. by doing so, the buyer is assured that you are a serious customer and that they will be able to get rid of the stuff and earn some dough quickly. this is one way of having a fast transaction. this would avoid the buyer and the seller from wasting time.

12-12-2009, 02:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well today I saw a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for Pentax K-mount on Craigslist. I didn't hesitate one bit and quickly emailed him that I was interested and if the lens had any fungus or scratches. He emailed me back just thirty minutes ago and said it was already sold. I didn't hesitate because it was $175. Now which one of you guys bought it, speak up now!
12-12-2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I have a Canon 40D (same crop as your Rebel) and run my various M42 lenses on macro tubes. I've got 3 sets of M42 extensions, so I can get way past 1:1 if I want, although the light loss starts hurting pretty fast.

I shot this with my Super Tak 135mm f/3.5 with ~68mm of extension:

And, FWIW, I paid $70 for my Super Tak 55mm f/1.8 and Super Tak 135mm f/3.5 in good to great user condition. Cosmetics aren't perfect, but the glass is and the results are really only limited by me.
12-12-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Well today I saw a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 for Pentax K-mount on Craigslist. I didn't hesitate one bit and quickly emailed him that I was interested and if the lens had any fungus or scratches. He emailed me back just thirty minutes ago and said it was already sold. I didn't hesitate because it was $175. Now which one of you guys bought it, speak up now!
why would I tell you that it was me who bought it?