Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2009, 12:38 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I was trying to decide on a DA 21 Ltd that I saw used but in mint condition. I really did not need it, but I could not decide. I let it sit there in on the camera shop web site for about 6 weeks. I finally decided to buy and ordered it. The next day, I was looking at the web site again and noticed the picture of the lens - and it was NOT a 21 but a FA31Ltd. So what did they actually send - the FA31Ltd. I lucked out.....

Wait a minute...... this one doesn't count.
You're supposed to tell us about the ones you passed up!

Ok.... now tell us. Which store website was it and how much?

12-13-2009, 01:11 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
that's right ! that's not passing up. that's a "got lucky story" !
12-13-2009, 06:01 AM   #33
Pentaxian

I suppose everyone have a few that got away. In my case two come to mind. I had a chance to buy a SMC Takumar 500/4.5 a number of years ago for about $200. I hesitated as it was a screw mount and I wasn’t sure I wanted to mess with adaptors. Duhhh. In any case when I decided to finally pull the trigger it was gone.

A bigger regret was failing to pony up an extra $300 to get the A 20/2.8 as part of a package when I bought the A 100/2.8 macro. C’est la vie.

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 12-15-2009 at 04:30 AM. Reason: typo
12-14-2009, 04:48 AM   #34
Pentaxian

I had a (poorly listed) FA 35mm f2 in my watch list on ebay. It passed in on 99c, no bid. Boy do I wish I bid.

12-14-2009, 05:51 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
at this point the only thing I am somewhat sorry I passed up was a SMC-Tak 50mm F1.4 with a spotamatic ES attached for $25

At the time my LBA rules got in the way, since I already had a K50mm F1.4 but since then, I have decided to out together an M42 kit, and the 50 would have been a nice addition to my vivitar 28mm F2.5 SMC Tak 35 F2, and my Super tak 85 F1.9.
12-15-2009, 01:18 AM   #36
Veteran Member

A few months after I got my K10D I was looking for a TC because the lunar eclipse was coming up, and I wanted to get some good, fairly close-up shots of it. I checked a day before the night of the eclipse on the local camera shop's website, and they had a Tamron 1.4x Pz AF MC4 listed as used but excellent for something like $75. Instead of going to get it that day I just told myself I didnt need it because I didn't really have the money. The next day I wised up and decided to just bite the bullet and go buy it. When I showed up the guy told me they had just sold it that day or the day before. Instead I ended up getting a crappy JC Penney 2x TC which worked alright, but I really would have loved to have the Tamron, expecially at that price.
12-15-2009, 05:02 AM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
I will buy it if Pentax releases a firmware for SDM lenses to use screwdrive.
With your K10D you can use an SDM lens with screwdrive (using a sufficiently old firmware). But I fully see your point regarding your K-7.

I once passed on a Sigma 12-24 for a clear-out price. Not ridiculously cheap but still a good bargain. After comparing the Sigma 12-24 against the Sigma 10-20 and some other wide-angle zooms, I came to the conclusion that I'd be better off with the Sigma 10-20. Not entirely sure I made the right decision.
12-15-2009, 12:26 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
With your K10D you can use an SDM lens with screwdrive (using a sufficiently old firmware). But I fully see your point regarding your K-7.

I once passed on a Sigma 12-24 for a clear-out price. Not ridiculously cheap but still a good bargain. After comparing the Sigma 12-24 against the Sigma 10-20 and some other wide-angle zooms, I came to the conclusion that I'd be better off with the Sigma 10-20. Not entirely sure I made the right decision.
I don't think that you made the right decision either. what made you decide to get the 10-20 over the 12-24?

12-15-2009, 01:35 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Fa* 600/5.6 is not a lens I would get even with available cash. It is simply too heavy, impractical and fringeholic.
12-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I don't think that you made the right decision either. what made you decide to get the 10-20 over the 12-24?
IIRC, the 12-24 had in its favour: FF, better distortion control, corner sharpness not much worse than centre sharpness.

However, I thought that I'd be regretting to not have the 10-12 range available (doesn't sound much but makes quite a difference) and would rather have the better centre sharpness of the 10-20 without too much worry what happens in the corners. The latter point might be wrong with a wide-angle, I lack the experience of using one. I just don't like soft images and the samples of the 12-24 and some user reports indicated that it isn't a lens for crispness freaks.

I also was slightly put off by non-standard filters to be used for the 12-24. Might be better than paying through the nose for a conventional filter for the 10-20 but I wasn't comfortable with the 12-24's system. Can one use a polarising filter with it at all (I know these are not completely straightforward with a wide-angle, but still)?

Would be interested in your take on the comparison between the two.
12-15-2009, 06:13 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Original Poster
IIRC, the 12-24 had in its favour: FF, better distortion control, corner sharpness not much worse than centre sharpness.

However, I thought that I'd be regretting to not have the 10-12 range available (doesn't sound much but makes quite a difference) and would rather have the better centre sharpness of the 10-20 without too much worry what happens in the corners. The latter point might be wrong with a wide-angle, I lack the experience of using one. I just don't like soft images and the samples of the 12-24 and some user reports indicated that it isn't a lens for crispness freaks.

I also was slightly put off by non-standard filters to be used for the 12-24. Might be better than paying through the nose for a conventional filter for the 10-20 but I wasn't comfortable with the 12-24's system. Can one use a polarising filter with it at all (I know these are not completely straightforward with a wide-angle, but still)?

Would be interested in your take on the comparison between the two.
I see. as far as my UW Lens preference is concerned, I prefer the Pentax 12-24 due to it's consistent sharpness and contrast performance at F4 and F8 at the farther end of the focal length. F8 is the sweetest spot, IMO. although the PF especially at wide open, can be a major pain in the neck for me during post-processing but could work it out just well as long as you're not lazy to do the extra work.

I had thought about the 10mm edge of the Sigma too. however, corner sharpness at 10mm doesn't look nor sound nice at all, especially when shooting landscapes and architectures. such softness would make the lens unsuitable or unusable at 10mm, therefore no clear difference or focal length advantage over the 12-24 if corner sharpness is considered as the main argument. if I hadn't gotten the Pentax 12-24 for a good deal, I could had gone and bought the much cheaper Sigma 10-20 and have to settle with it's cooler colors and less reach.

regarding the Sigma 12-24 however, that's a 6mm advantage we are looking at in a future Pentax FF body. hmmmmmm.......
12-15-2009, 07:26 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I prefer the Pentax 12-24...
I would have settled with that one too. Just too expensive. With the reputation that comes with it, I would have gladly gone without the 10-12mm range.

...such softness would make the lens unsuitable or unusable at 10mm, therefore no clear difference or focal length advantage over the 12-24 if corner sharpness is considered as the main argument.
But there are also applications where corner sharpness is not the killer criterion, I think.

regarding the Sigma 12-24 however, that's a 6mm advantage we are looking at in a future Pentax FF body.
I calculate that an APS-C lens would have to have ~8mm to match a 12mm on FF. That seems like a 2mm advantage compared to the APS-C 10-20mm. But anyhow, that FF aspect of the lens was very tempting indeed.
12-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I calculate that an APS-C lens would have to have ~8mm to match a 12mm on FF. That seems like a 2mm advantage compared to the APS-C 10-20mm. But anyhow, that FF aspect of the lens was very tempting indeed.

well, actually the 10-20 APS-C lens should be computed by a crop factor of 1.5, thus 15mm equiv. on a 35mm fullframe. that is 3mm advantage + the advantage of a corner sharpness that would extend the advantage further to 2mm additional which results to a 5mm difference. the 10-20mm acceptable corner sharpness for me is around 12mm. true that the FF aspect is very tempting indeed.
12-15-2009, 09:18 PM   #44
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The DA* 16-50/2.8 has tempted me so often, but I've been very happy with my 16-45/4 and haven't been able to justify to myself that there would be $300-400 worth of difference between the two. Every couple of months, though, I start to wonder...

The one I kick myself the most on was an FA*80-200/2.8 that was listed on craigslist about 3 years ago. I forget the exact amount, now, but it was well under $1,000, around $700 I think. I had only recently got my first DSLR, a K10 and did not really understand all the various lens offerings. I kept researching prices and reviews, unable to pull the trigger and the lens went to somebody else :-(
12-16-2009, 03:00 AM   #45
Pentaxian

well, actually the 10-20 APS-C lens should be computed by a crop factor of 1.5, thus 15mm equiv. on a 35mm fullframe. that is 3mm advantage...
To be precise the factor is more like 1.54. You've got 3mm because you are comparing in FF land whereas my 2mm are the difference in APS-C land.
I won't argue with the extra mills for corner sharpness.