Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 01:01 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
What do Pentax mean when they refer to a lens as "Limited"?
It represented an embarrassing moment in Pentax history when they realized how well the FA43 did since 1997. "Limited" was meant to be a special one-off limited production but the sales figure pushed them to release the FA77 in 1999/11 & FA31 (don't remember when). There was another patent years ago on, I think 21mm f1.9 (don't remember the exact #), but never materialized, perhaps due to the lesser reception of the expensive FA31 to most price sensitive Pentax consumers. However, they have yet to put out any convincing explanation (to me anyway) on what "Limited" exactly mean.

PS: This is only my interpretation on this little piece of Pentax history. I am sure most people would disagree.

12-17-2009, 01:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It does happen to be true that the DA* lenses are weather sealed, but that's not really the main purpose of the * label - it's mostly about optical quality.
Or put it simplier, Pentax '*' was like Canon 'L' or Minolta 'G', at least up till FA*. The DA* now we have are so depressed about the Pentax situation, they commited Seppuku by killing their own SDM. Amen. :ugh:
12-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
or DA*-repair.

Any chance of giving this rather tired one a rest Guys?

Anyone considering Pentax would look at this forum and get the imoression that all DA*s last ten minutes then go supercritical taking out the local population.

Simply not true.

/rant.
12-17-2009, 03:03 PM   #19
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Want the thread closed?

12-17-2009, 03:08 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Not necessarily thanks Peter, but I feel there are a small but very vocal minority who are putting people off some of Pentax's finest glass.
12-17-2009, 04:04 PM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Well lets not hijack this thread, that discussion is going on in enough places.
12-17-2009, 04:31 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Not necessarily thanks Peter, but I feel there are a small but very vocal minority who are putting people off some of Pentax's finest glass.
+1

I can understand a few people being disappointed with a lens failure, but why amplify it, particularly if you don't own the lens. Maybe some of these folks should start trading in Russian goods. Believe me, it lends perspective!

Steve
12-17-2009, 05:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Any chance of giving this rather tired one a rest Guys?

Anyone considering Pentax would look at this forum and get the imoression that all DA*s last ten minutes then go supercritical taking out the local population.

Simply not true.

/rant.
no problem

12-17-2009, 05:44 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
+1

I can understand a few people being disappointed with a lens failure, but why amplify it, particularly if you don't own the lens. Maybe some of these folks should start trading in Russian goods. Believe me, it lends perspective!

Steve
just to set things straight, I didn't own one because I got 5 failed transactionsbecause of ehem...failure (did I made a record for being unfortunate?) . so my rant is rather justified. but for the sake of the holiday season, I'm going to give it a rest.
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
just to set things straight, I didn't own one because I got 5 failed transactionsbecause of ehem...failure (did I made a record for being unfortunate?) . so my rant is rather justified. but for the sake of the holiday season, I'm going to give it a rest.
Don't feel bad Pentaxor. You're not the only one that has had 5 returns of DA* lenses.

Combined with the letters DA, the "*" is an asterisk, not a star. As in "warning, read the fine print."

OK, I'll give it a rest for the holidays if you are...
12-17-2009, 09:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Despite my concerns with the DA* SDM failures I have read about on the forum, I went ahead and got a 50-135 anyway.

Now, I noticed that there is a DA L lens, supposedly only bundled with one of the kits. This "L" doesn't mean Limited, does it?
12-17-2009, 09:14 PM   #27
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

"L" was a bad choice IMO and far from Limited. Lacking might have been better. Plastic K mount and no hood included with most.
12-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Why did they even bother with a Lacking lens in those kits?
12-17-2009, 09:24 PM   #29
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Price. They wanted to hit a target price point with those kit systems. Makes sense and not much of an issue. Canon and Nikon do it. So why not. But the choice in "L" was poor for a couple of reasons. "L"= limited > NOT! Similar to Canon's "L" series > NOT!
Should have called it "V" for value.
12-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #30
Veteran Member

I'm surprised that setting up a new production run for essentially the same lens with a different mount is worth the couple of bucks they save per lens.