Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Stupid question - what is meant by a "Limited lens"

What do Pentax mean when they refer to a lens as "Limited"?

Last edited by Peter Zack; 12-16-2009 at 10:47 AM.
12-12-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Could be a matter of things, Limited as in limited in versatility due to it not being a zoom. Limited as in limited edition, etc.
12-12-2009, 04:52 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
It means they're trying to squeeze as much money beyond what the lens is worth out of you as they possibly can by convincing you that the lens you are purchasing is somehow limited to a finite number of examples they will be producing.
12-12-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

seriously, at first I thought Limited because they are too few or rare of them up for sale.

now I realized that it was more of a distinction. like the "L" Canon lenses, not necessarily mean loser.

12-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oggy Quote
It's all about performance. Limited lenses are superior to any other lenses in the same focal lengths in build and IQ. This is similar to canon 'L' series lenses, but then it could be just the inclusion of a lens hood, as I think only their limited lenses comes with a lens hood . Sigma 'EX' lenses point to better build quality only.
12-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Didn't we just finish up a thread on this topic

The most satisfying answer I have read is that "limited" refers to limited production capacity. These lenses are made at a much lower rate using manual hand-made process then say the robot-forged kit lens. They might also be considered to be "limited" in the sense that the number of potential buyers is limited due to high price

Steve
12-13-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yes, browse the forum for a thread on this very topic from just a few days back.

While one can debate the exactl meaning of the term, the upshot is, the Limited series are meant to be among Pentax's best lenses. Yes, there is also a "*" that also denotes high quality.

12-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Didn't we just finish up a thread on this topic

They might also be considered to be "limited" in the sense that the number of potential buyers is limited due to high price

Steve
I think this is actually on the nose!
12-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
D'Oh!

http://https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/82929-l...-*-lenses.html

How did I miss that. Thanks for the replies. I had got it in my head that the DA*s were the top of the range and Limited refered to short supply.
12-16-2009, 06:24 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Hang on guys! I thought that the DA* means its the series of lenses that are specifically made for digital bodies and the * after it denotes the weather and dust resistant properties of the lens. Hmm....did I miss it ?

Coach
12-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by golfcoachnoel Quote
Hang on guys! I thought that the DA* means its the series of lenses that are specifically made for digital bodies and the * after it denotes the weather and dust resistant properties of the lens. Hmm....did I miss it ?

Coach
Yes, you missed something here. The "*" (STAR) always denoted high-end glass, going back to the first STAR lens, the M* 300/4. That included use of ED glass and ofcourse the accordingly higher price tag. The DA is indeed aimed at digital use, but you will find that at least the longer focal lengthes can be used with 35mm, too.
Weather Resistance is WR and only a few lenses sport that, including some DA's - which is, where it really gets complicated...

Ben
12-16-2009, 06:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

It'd be easier if they would use $ signs, for instance, the DA14-72/2.0$$$$ vs. the DA50/3.5$. You can't really get a good feel for the quality of a lens until you've used it a bit so maybe denoting the cost would be an okay idea.

Well, that would present the need for lenses with the little Euro symbol plus several others, I guess.
12-16-2009, 10:46 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by B Grace Quote
It'd be easier if they would use $ signs, for instance, the DA14-72/2.0$$$$ vs. the DA50/3.5$. You can't really get a good feel for the quality of a lens until you've used it a bit so maybe denoting the cost would be an okay idea.

Well, that would present the need for lenses with the little Euro symbol plus several others, I guess.
or DA*-repair.
12-16-2009, 10:47 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Change the thread title to be searchable.
12-16-2009, 11:42 PM   #15
Veteran Member

It does happen to be true that the DA* lenses are weather sealed, but that's not really the main purpose of the * label - it's mostly about optical quality.