Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 05:16 PM   #61
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
...new ones fetch around $550 now...
$479 ... PentaxWebstore smcP FA 35mm f/2.0 AL

Steve

(Sorry...could not resist...)

12-15-2009, 05:19 PM   #62
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
ouch ! why do you still have to say that it's ugly stepsister rather than say stepsister alone?

honestly, I don't think that it's ugly. there are a lot of Pentax lenses that can be classified as ugly, the FA35 certainly is not one of them.
Plain, yes...Ugly, no...

Steve
12-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #63
Site Supporter
robbiec's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Cork, Ireland
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,220
Let me ask the question in a different way
Is the FA35 f2 good enough to replace both the DA 35 and FA31 if you were on the lba trail of a 30something?
12-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #64
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Let me ask the question in a different way
Is the FA35 f2 good enough to replace both the DA 35 and FA31 if you were on the lba trail of a 30something?
Huh? It is a good lens, but it depends on what you want.

Consider:
  • It doesn't do macro
  • It is not a Limited
  • It is made of plastic
  • Some don't like its bokeh
  • Some feel that it has no soul

Also:
  • It is relatively low-priced
  • It is a sterling performer in its own right
  • The build is excellent...plastic does not equal shoddy
  • It can be used on film bodies with no reservation
  • It is light
  • It is compact
  • It is an endangered species to purchase new

I don't think I missed anything.

Steve

12-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #65
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by robbiec Quote
Let me ask the question in a different way
Is the FA35 f2 good enough to replace both the DA 35 and FA31 if you were on the lba trail of a 30something?

No, but it is a great addition !
12-15-2009, 08:06 PM   #66
Senior Member
DavidWasch's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Connecticut, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 163
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Plain, yes...Ugly, no...

Steve
Ok, so she's plain and folks don't like her personality. She is sharp, but alone that hasn't gotten many ladies a prom date.
12-15-2009, 08:17 PM   #67
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
Ok, so she's plain and folks don't like her personality. She is sharp, but alone that hasn't gotten many ladies a prom date.
still not so good of a description. a more fitting description would be " A HOT CHICK with a BAD ASS ATTITUDE" !!!
12-16-2009, 03:43 AM   #68
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
$479 ... PentaxWebstore smcP FA 35mm f/2.0 AL

Steve

(Sorry...could not resist...)
So, the official price is $475 then...I thought this is out of production and the shops hiked the price. If Pentax store is selling it for $475, then I guess $375 for a LN- is not bad.

12-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #69
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
So, the official price is $475 then...I thought this is out of production and the shops hiked the price. If Pentax store is selling it for $475, then I guess $375 for a LN- is not bad.
Nope, not bad at all. It is sort of discontinued. No one seems to know for sure. It is unavailable in North America except for the Pentax Web store. It is not listed with the other lenses at pentaximaging.com, but is still on the active list at Pentax Japan. Go figure...

Steve
12-16-2009, 09:07 AM   #70
Senior Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 121
This lens has a ton of personality, is tack sharp from wide open. It's plastic build is still very solid and the design...well, very simple and functional, certainly nothing I'm ashamed to carry. One of my favourites, truly.
12-16-2009, 09:20 AM   #71
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Outside of Philly
Posts: 1,564
I had the FA 35 when I shot Pentax; paid $300 for it back in May 2007. It was a nice lens.

When I switched to Canon, I picked up the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Having that extra stop is really nice, and it's just a little more bulky than the FA35. I'd look into the 30/1.4 if I were you.

Either way, they're both excellent lenses.
12-16-2009, 09:47 AM   #72
Veteran Member
pcarfan's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,960
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by egordon99 Quote
I had the FA 35 when I shot Pentax; paid $300 for it back in May 2007. It was a nice lens.

When I switched to Canon, I picked up the Sigma 30mm f/1.4. Having that extra stop is really nice, and it's just a little more bulky than the FA35. I'd look into the 30/1.4 if I were you.

Either way, they're both excellent lenses.
I looked at the sigma 30/1.4, but from the photozone tests, it is rather soft even at f2, definitely not better than the FA24. So, I think I will run into the same problem of running NR programs and losing a lot of detail. Also, it is much larger. That's the reason for me to pick the 35, even though I'll much rather have the extra 5mm on the wide end.
12-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #73
Senior Member
jacksonpritt's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Berkeley, CA
Posts: 124
How does the FA 35/2 compare to the FA 31/1.8?
12-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #74
Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 27,415
QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
How does the FA 35/2 compare to the FA 31/1.8?
Ask a FA 31/1.8 owner and they will tell you that the FA 35/2 is a dog with plastic build and harsh bokeh.

Ask a FA 35/2 owner and he will grant that the FA 31/1.8 is a great lens, but not worth 3x more than the FA 35/2. He will also tell you that the FA 35/2 is sharp as a tack at all apertures and is compact and light. He will then curse Pentax for phasing this fine lens out.

For some reason, this particular comparison has been hot on at least three different threads for the last week or so. Go figure...

Steve
12-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #75
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Ask a FA 31/1.8 owner and they will tell you that the FA 35/2 is a dog with plastic build and harsh bokeh.

Ask a FA 35/2 owner and he will grant that the FA 31/1.8 is a great lens, but not worth 3x more than the FA 35/2. He will also tell you that the FA 35/2 is sharp as a tack at all apertures and is compact and light. He will then curse Pentax for phasing this fine lens out.

For some reason, this particular comparison has been hot on at least three different threads for the last week or so. Go figure...

Steve
simple conclusion, both lenses are loved by Pentax Users. and I hate my M50/2. anyone who thinks otherwise that it is a better lens than the FA31 and FA35 is clearly delusional !
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
f2, fa 35mm f2, iq, iso, k-mount, lens, light, pentax fa 35mm, pentax lens, performance, sigma, size, slr lens
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me identify this lens ... pentax 35mm 2.8? sameagle Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 04-30-2010 08:36 AM
For Sale - Sold: New Pentax FA 35mm f/2 AL Lens pentaman Sold Items 1 01-19-2010 11:48 PM
For Sale - Sold: Takumar 49mm lens hood for a 35mm/F2 or 35mm/F3.5 with case SteveM Sold Items 3 11-24-2009 05:39 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax PZ-1p 35mm Camera with Pentax SMC FA 28-80 f/3.5-80 Lens MikeDubU Sold Items 8 02-23-2009 01:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:40 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top