Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2007, 04:14 PM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I was serious, the Phoenix is pretty good for it's money,
Is it a 500mm f/8 mirror? Or otherwise?
it just doesn't compare to my Sigma 135-400 I got a few days later.
If I didn't have the Sigma I'd probably use it every time that I went birding.
Yeah, most people seem to love those 135-400mm models, but they are a bit of dough.

I'm sorry about the link. I forgot that my server and this one don'e seem to be best friends, so my pic's don't always appear
Here's a link to the pic
http://www.bcscenicwonder.com/plantsanimals/animals/birds/IMGP8308.jpg
and a link to the full sized picture to give you a really good idea what it's like
http://www.bcscenicwonder.com/plantsanimals/animals/birds/IMGP8308fs.jpg
another full sized pic with it
http://www.bcscenicwonder.com/plantsanimals/animals/birds/IMGP8365fs.jpg
That was my first time ever using the lens, if I took some time I could probably better those images
Still waiting for the images to come up. Very slow.
Oh, I'm also using a Pentax K100D and love it
That's why I started with the K100D as my first dSLR -- the reviews on ease-of-use, while still having the power to grow.
Now that I started pricing lenses and what not, against quality, etc..., I'm glad I did.
Especially if and when I upgrade to the next K mount option, and hand the K100D off to my wife.

Edit, I had the Osprey in focus and snapped pic's until it flew behind some buildings until it flew behind a tall building. That's when I realized that it was over 1/4 of a mile away. I don't think that I could do that with my Sigma.
I'll let you know what I think when they come up.
Thanx again!

06-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Those are some decent looking shots with that mirror lens Little Laker and I imagine with some time and getting the feel for the best settings it is a good lens for the money. The vivitars are inconsistant with some being good as paper weights and some decent lenses. Makes for a bit of a crap shoot unfortunatly. I guess many older off brand lenses are that way tho.The sigma 400 is OK but still needs to be worked with for best results and does not have the cleanest of looks but at under 200 dollars it is not a bad lens.
Kenn
06-14-2007, 04:52 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KennJ Quote
Those are some decent looking shots with that mirror lens Little Laker and I imagine with some time and getting the feel for the best settings it is a good lens for the money.
Yeah, I just got the first full screen shot to come up.
A little CA, some noise and inconsistent color (ISO400 according to EXIF, so it shouldn't be the sensitivity), but not bad.

The vivitars are inconsistant with some being good as paper weights and some decent lenses.
That's what I'm afraid of with the Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 on eBay .

Makes for a bit of a crap shoot unfortunatly. I guess many older off brand lenses are that way tho.The sigma 400 is OK but still needs to be worked with for best results and does not have the cleanest of looks but at under 200 dollars it is not a bad lens.
I might just drop the $99 for the Phoenix 500mm and see what it can do for me.

Well, I've got another hour to consider the Vivitar or not.
06-14-2007, 06:24 PM   #19
Forum Member

I just picked up a Tamron SP 200-500mm 5.6 for $325 which is a little more than you are looking to spend, but I must say I am very impressed with it so far. here is a thread I posted at the "other forum" with some samples.

06-14-2007, 06:36 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Skorzen Quote
I just picked up a Tamron SP 200-500mm 5.6 for $325 which is a little more than you are looking to spend, but I must say I am very impressed with it so far. here is a thread I posted at the "other forum" with some samples.
Well, I went with the Vivitar 400mm f/5.6 for $120 from eBay for now.
We'll see how it does and I'll post some shots.

If I don't like it in the end, I might just get serious and splurge for the Sigma 135-400mm DG at some point, and get a consumer AF.
Between that and something like the Sigma 17-70mm DC (or maybe Sigma 18-125mm DC), that two-lens combo might be my next level up.
06-14-2007, 08:52 PM   #21
Inactive Account

hi
you ave also this solution entax 200mmf4(about 60 dollars)+converterx2 fromVivitar(20 dollars) and you can take this kind of pictures:
Attached Images

06-15-2007, 05:40 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bryan

if you want to see what the lens can do, please look at the following photo.

not bad for $125. keep in mind this was shot 20 years ago, and scanned from 400ISO slide film,

Shot was on a heavily overcast day.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/index.php?n=2415
06-15-2007, 05:52 AM   #23
Site Supporter

Sometimes you are better off to use the lens you have and just crop! Find I often lose less doing this than adding a converter (keeping cropping in reason).
The Phoenix 100-500 zoom is actually a pretty nice lens. Well built and decent quality. Was very surprised. The Phoenix 500 mirror is about the worst mirror I've ever shot. Tried more than 1 copy. Any Sigma, Tamron, Tokina is miles ahead in image quality. Pentax needs to do for a big lens what they did with the 50-200. A great lens at a great price.
thanks
barondla

06-15-2007, 12:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

300mm dual aperature rings from KEH for $79

This may be going to far out in left field for you but I picked up an old 300mm Pentax screw mount for $79 from KEH. Haven't had much of a chance to use it but here is a photo I took today hand held at 1/125 sec and ISO 200. The condition was BGN.

Regards,

Last edited by regken; 07-23-2007 at 07:01 AM.
06-15-2007, 02:23 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I just won a phoenix 100-500 on e bay. I really have been trying to talk myself into a Bigma. I figured I would try this out first and see how often I use it. If I like the range then I'll have to open the wallet for the Big Boy. I let you know if its decent as soon as I get it (next week maybe?)
06-15-2007, 07:55 PM   #26
roy
Inactive Account

cheap, long/short/fast, really does not compute
wish it did. as i need a cheap, good, fast wide.
ain't goin to happen
06-16-2007, 01:54 AM   #27
Inactive Account

tipentax38 wrote:

QuoteQuote:
hi
you have also this solution Pentax 200mmf4(about 60 dollars)+converterx2 fromVivitar(20 dollars) and you can take this kind of pictures
I often use my SMC Pentax-M 200/4 with converter Komura Telemore 95 II and have good results, but it is very good converter, maybe such good converter is more expensive than the lens; Pentax-M 200/4 is very good lens too. With this combo we MF with the sharpness confirmation, it is good for the analog SLRs too, and not too more expensive (it is hard to give the exact prices, here in Poland photo equipment is more expensive than in USA; but in France is the most expensive - my conclusions from eBay).
06-16-2007, 12:25 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I got to this thread too late...

If you are looking for long reach and decent image quality, have a look for the K mount Tokina 400mm f/5.6 ATX SD manual focus. This is the model with the red ring around the barrel and a 72mm filter diameter. It is relatively light for a 400mm lens, has a built-in lens hood and has a built in tripod collar. Needs to be stopped down a bit for best images.

The Sigma 400mm that you want to get is the autofocus APO Tele Macro with the 77mm filter thread. I just got this lens and it is wonderful. The bonus feature is the 1:3 macro feature.
06-16-2007, 01:05 PM   #29
roy
Inactive Account

this is one of vivitars best lenses. 6 hours to go. it's a superb mirror lens
HERE
06-16-2007, 01:54 PM   #30

Original Poster
Thanx for all the input ...

I have the Vivitar prime 400mm on its way. Since the previous owner used it on a K10D, I'm hopeful. We'll see.

Also let me know how the Phoenix 100-500mm lenses work out for you. I don't like to crop, especially when the quality is bad. And if I'm "scaling down," I might as well just use the DA 50-200mm.

At some point I might just go out and drop $500 for the Sigma 135-400mm DG. I was hopeful someone would introduce an APS-C sized lens in the near future with at least a 400mm reach. But that might be my move if I really am disappointed with other options.

BTW, which lens is the "Bigma" (I forgot)?