Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #151
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
GeneV: Hmmm. Well I'm living without it, so it is not essential. However, I do seem to take a lot of indoor photos with my DA 17-70 at 17mm f/4, and I keep jacking up the ISO. At the 11-16mm focal lengths, I could still have a reasonable DOF at 2.8. The photozone tests and photos for the Tokina are quite nice even wide open.
Yes, I agree.

12-20-2009, 11:48 PM   #152

Have 16-50 and 50-135. Want 11-16. Now.

Did some realestate shots with a borrowed Sigma 10-20. It was OK really but needed the extra stop, as I had a short time to do the shoot and light was falling fast.

Last edited by Mohawk; 12-21-2009 at 12:41 AM.
12-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #153
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Mohawk Quote
H
Did some realestate shots with a borrowed Sigma 10-20. It was OK really but needed the extra stop, as I had a short time to do the shoot and light was falling fast.
Maybe you needed the extra time instead of the lens needing the extra stop.
12-21-2009, 07:20 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
The 12-24 is a horse.
If the Tokina is heavier, what does that make it?
A fat horse?
A muscular horse?

All zooms in this range are hefty.
I can get 17mm/~2.8 from my older 17-35 Sigma. Quality is OK, but it is also big and the overall quality of the shots has never grabbed me.

Last edited by GeneV; 12-21-2009 at 07:37 AM.
12-21-2009, 11:16 AM   #155
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
If the question is for me, the answer is no I would not shoot with a tri-pod, unless I had to shoot with one. This is paticularly so in these shorter daylight times, when often you do not have good sunlight aiding through available windows. DOF does not seem to play a big role in the shots I see when I browse real estate pictures. In fact, it looks like the only thing that mattered to the photographer was getting the shot.

But Werticus, remember, as stated above, for me the Tokina does not get my pick merely because it is a f 2.8 lens. It is a phenomenal lens. virtually distortion free, with a fixed aperture. It is the whole package which appeals to me, not merely the 2.8
The realtors I know have a little P&S, shoot like crazy, and stitch it all together later. I have seen some really strange looking rooms in the online MLS!

Steve
12-21-2009, 01:55 PM   #156
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The realtors I know have a little P&S, shoot like crazy, and stitch it all together later. I have seen some really strange looking rooms in the online MLS!

Steve
Yeah, they construct those panorama shots for the web sites that are odd.

For shooting where I have control of the room, I don't worry much about the speed of the lens, because I can place enough slave flashes around to light it however I want.
01-03-2010, 11:42 AM   #157
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The best I can see is Pentax/Tokina deal is a way for Pentax to basically use a backdoor to get their lens designs on Canon and Nikon SLR's. Now what kind of co-development or share of the development cost is of course all unknown but to the best information all points to the lenses being designed by Pentax. Except for the maybe the 12-24 F4. This is a fantastic deal for Pentax as they get money for Tokina selling their glass on a competitors mount.

This deal was never meant as a way to for Pentax users to get stripped down versions of Pentax optics at lower prices! Thus Tokina wasn't allowed to sell the glass in K-Mount.

01-04-2010, 09:49 PM   #158
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
stevebrot: The realtors I know have a little P&S, shoot like crazy, and stitch it all together later. I have seen some really strange looking rooms in the online MLS!

Steve
This would explain some of the horrible shots I see. I imagine many realtors are challenged to properly operate their point and shoots too. LOL
01-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #159
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
This would explain some of the horrible shots I see. I imagine many realtors are challenged to properly operate their point and shoots too. LOL
well, they only become realtors because the failed the exam to be a security guard in a mall. FYI, they give you the answers for the test...pretty much if someone can find the parking lot on the day the security company is hiring you get the job.

Yeah, i have no use for the whole real estate industry and how they manipulate prices along with playing both sides against the middle and their under the table kickbacks from title companies and lenders.
01-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #160
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
brecklundin: Yeah, i have no use for the whole real estate industry and how they manipulate prices along with playing both sides against the middle and their under the table kickbacks from title companies and lenders.
Given your description of the job skills, it sounds like real estate may be a stepping stone to politics. LOL

Last edited by Jewelltrail; 01-05-2010 at 12:14 AM.
01-05-2010, 12:36 PM   #161
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve

This seems to be true. In fact, I recently put my house up for sale (got a newbie due in 10 days or so, need another bedroom,) and my realtor stopped over the day before the listing with a P&S and started taking one-handed flash snaps of the rooms - I said, "let me give it a try".

Walked around with the Tamron 17-50 taking some handheld ISO 1250 f/4 shots at 17mm - I tried to get dramatic angles, and paid attention to lighting. Maybe 15 minutes worth of downloading and basic PP, and I emailed 12 simple shots to the realtor. She got back to me with a huge WOW and commented that it was maybe time to upgrade her camera (I suggested Pentax K-x or Nikon D5000.)

The next day we had three showings scheduled from people who saw the MLS listing.

It just does a disservice to the clients if the MLS listings look boring and generic - I don't think 90% of realtors realize how important those photos are.

Last edited by jsherman999; 01-05-2010 at 01:48 PM.
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM   #162
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I suggested Pentax K-x or Nikon D5000.
Does either of them do lens correction?

I would have suggested the K-7 and a wide-angle zoom.

The combination of HDR with lens correction seems very desirable for real estate applications. Well, they would have to learn how to use a tripod but it would be worth the effort.
01-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #163
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Does either of them do lens correction?

I would have suggested the K-7 and a wide-angle zoom.

The combination of HDR with lens correction seems very desirable for real estate applications. Well, they would have to learn how to use a tripod but it would be worth the effort.

Yes, and those are some pretty impressive examples you show there. I think that may be the first time I've seen HDR used in a commercial application (that I was aware of.)

But for my Realtor, a simple upgrade to a DSLR + a 2.8 wide zoom would have been enough - the P&S + little flash images can just be horrendous for interiors. I didn't get the impression that she was ready for the jump from P&S ---> K-7 + tripod + HDR.

01-05-2010, 03:30 PM   #164
Veteran Member

This seems to be true. In fact, I recently put my house up for sale (got a newbie due in 10 days or so, need another bedroom,) and my realtor stopped over the day before the listing with a P&S and started taking one-handed flash snaps of the rooms - I said, "let me give it a try".
I too supplied the photos for the listing of my house. The realtor I hired owns a DSLR (a Canon Rebel) but no ultra wide-angle lens. I could see she was doubtful when I said I'd like to use my own pictures for the listing, but in the end I got a big WOW! - along with a "did you use a wide-angle for these ?" inquiry

I couldn't persuade her to switch to Pentax, however
01-05-2010, 07:23 PM   #165
Pentaxian

I didn't get the impression that she was ready for the jump from P&S ---> K-7 + tripod + HDR.
You're right. Something with an "Auto" setting on the mode dial would be a very good idea to get her started.