Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K McCall Quote
Thank you very much. I think the hardest reason for me to offer advice about your situation is because I do very little street shooting. When I do, I usually go for a longer lens like something around 70mm so I can still get nice tight portraits without having to get too close.

I do love it, but the bokeh is very different from the 31 and the 43 when they're used wide-open. I think that the DA 35 should really only be on your list if you find that you'll be using its macro capabilities. Otherwise the FA 35/2 does seem to be a top performer.

I own quite a few lenses, and I have to say that this would be amongst the last three I would ever sell.

Sure! Someone else has already said that so long as your subject isn't very close - they used the example of 2" - then the DA 35 doesn't take much longer than other lenses to focus. I find the same to be true. I'd say that it's enough of a non-problem that I don't consider the focusing at all when I decide which lenses to take me; the focal lengths and weight of the lenses usually come more into play.

Sure, but most of them are going to be macros
Here's one that was taken from a pretty standard distance for street shooting at f/2.8:

Here's another taken at f/4 with this lens:

Well, these three lenses are amongst ever made by Pentax, at least in my opinion, so I think it just shows you have good taste
hmm.. thanks some more great pics.

well.. i'll get something before Christmas but what will that be.. I'll let you know

12-15-2009, 02:17 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
When I was researching the FA 35 vs DA 35, it was pretty much a concensus that the FA 35 has better bokeh than the DA 35. The FA is sharper at every aperture according to Photozone and is one highly useable stop faster.

The DA has very high contrast, which some people prefer. I find my FA 35 is right between my FA 50 and D FA 100 for colour and contrast, which suits me just fine. The only thing I'm not thrilled about is the focal length. I find 35mm is in between where I want to be; I like both 28mm and 50mm better than 35. If they ever get around to releasing the DA*30mm f1.4, I'll buy one for sure.

Before anyone mentions it, I'm not interested in the Sigma 30mm because of poor border performance and because I prefer Pentax lenses.
yeah I've watched many pics of sigma today, and already decided that it's not the one I want.
12-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Original Poster
some great pics from sigma 30mm 1.4 by deadwolfbones and II_coffee_IP,
however I really would want to have pentax... because of the colors and contrast thanks for your inputs.
12-15-2009, 02:42 PM   #34
Veteran Member

I played with my friend's 50/1.4 about two years ago, so it's been a while. I liked the lens quite a lot but found it to be just a bit too long for me. I only took a few shots with it, and only a couple with any kind of bokeh, but I do have this one taken at f/1.4:

Well, seems every lens you take on your hands delivers great images

12-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
Well, seems every lens you take on your hands delivers great images
agree with that
12-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #36
Veteran Member

And just because the idea of f/1.2 was brought up, I'm going to throw this one out there too. I was playing with catch-in-focus with a 55/1.2. It's awfully 3D but it was sooo hard to get right (that's me holding the plant; I used the 12-second timer and then guessed where I had manually-focused).

adding more fuel into netuser's LBA . you're such a sadist ! that ain't right !
12-15-2009, 06:53 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Since Keitha was willing to weigh in with her excellent images and user experience, I figure that the least I can do is to show the FA 35's bad bokeh in all its glory. I don't have many bokeh shots with the FA 35. I have better lenses for that task. But I did manage to scare up a few to upload for this purpose only. Here goes:

f/8

f/8

f/9.5

I think #3 is about as bad as it gets. Notice that we are looking at bokeh at relatively small apertures.

Now to balance the equation...Here is a link to FA 35/2 pictures on my Flickr account:
FA 35/2 On stevebrot's photostream
At least I hope they balance the equation...

Steve

(My M 50/1.7 does the crummy bokeh thing sometimes as well, but we won't go there...)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-15-2009 at 11:36 PM.
12-15-2009, 06:59 PM   #38
Site Supporter

Oh, and here's another one that is not quite so bad:

f/3.5

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-15-2009 at 07:15 PM.
12-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #39
Veteran Member

thanks Steve. definitely the sharpness is the bread and butter of that lens. I see that you use it for landscapes as it should be, most of the time.
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
thanks Steve. definitely the sharpness is the bread and butter of that lens. I see that you use it for landscapes as it should be, most of the time.
Landscape, cityscapes, street and moderate distance stuff. It actually sort of sucks for landscape with the K10D...too narrow.

I have the Jupiter-9, the 77 Limited, and the almighty Helios if I need bokeh. For close-ups the Sigma 50/2.8 Macro is pretty good too.

I would note that bad bokeh is not unusual for many lenses at f/8 and narrower (my examples above). The FA 35 is not particularly bad wide open. It is just not particularly good. I would provide some examples, but I don't have any handy. I guess that might be my assignment for tomorrow...

Steve
12-16-2009, 01:04 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Landscape, cityscapes, street and moderate distance stuff. It actually sort of sucks for landscape with the K10D...too narrow.

I have the Jupiter-9, the 77 Limited, and the almighty Helios if I need bokeh. For close-ups the Sigma 50/2.8 Macro is pretty good too.

I would note that bad bokeh is not unusual for many lenses at f/8 and narrower (my examples above). The FA 35 is not particularly bad wide open. It is just not particularly good. I would provide some examples, but I don't have any handy. I guess that might be my assignment for tomorrow...

Steve
I believe that you need to have a considerable distance for landscape, probably the open prairies or farmlands. actually, I even found the 28mm, narrow as well for some cityscape shots but it is a joy to use if it weren't that narrow. probably it works best on a FF body.

I'm quite intrigue by the Helios however. I could have gotten one myself a week ago if I wanted to. it was being sold for 40 bucks. but I stopped for the moment and thought about my newly acquired 55/1.8. I had already tested the 1.8 personally and saw how the lens works. honestly speaking, from my POV the 58 is better than it's 50/1.4 cousin. it is sharper just sharper.

so there, I let the Helios get away but not before looking at some of the examples shot by the Helios. I can say that it has a very good bokeh, though sometimes weird. it maybe appealing or distracting in a way but it looks sharp IMO. I believe it's fast enough to isolate the subject from the background even at f2. anyway, I'm going to shoot more with my 55/1.8 this time since I haven't really done much work with it yet except for testing.
12-16-2009, 05:52 PM   #42

Ive always thought that the FA35 gives pretty smooth bokeh.

Here are some pics with highlight in OOF area, where a lesser lens would produce some very distracting feature.

12-16-2009, 06:37 PM   #43
Veteran Member

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/54905-fa31-vs-fa35.html
12-16-2009, 09:28 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Fa 35mm f2 is a good lens if you adopt canikon philosophy. Still a good lens to use for photography but not good enough for gear OCD.

Most people do not see the beauty in the leica M mount lenses that cost >6000 US dollars.
This post went completely over my head. Translation?
12-16-2009, 10:09 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cheekygeek Quote
This post went completely over my head. Translation?
I don't know what he meant by the "canikonian" part. As for the rest, I think he is saying that for people with "gear OCD" (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder), the FA 31/1.8 makes complete sense. Ditto for $6000 Leica optics.

Steve