Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 01:39 PM   #31
Veteran Member

I knew before and I know more it now that I will never get one because of the price!
I can't even get myself to buy the F50 1.7!
Too much for me for a lens that I might not be using always.
Even the A-50s are preposterously priced nowadays!

12-15-2009, 01:55 PM   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Even the A-50s are preposterously priced nowadays!
Oh, I don't know about that. They are going for around $75 for the "A" 1.7 on eek bay and about +$25/30 that for an "e" grade at KEH. And many people consider the "A" 1.7 to be the second best of all the fast fifty's

NaCl(the 'best' being the stratospherically priced "A" 1.2)H2O
12-15-2009, 01:58 PM   #33
Veteran Member

I shoulda bought 100 shares of Pentax FA 50 1.4 at $200 each.
I coulda had $16,000 profit.

We all need to remember that this was yesterday. Today is a different time and market condition.

One could have bought FA Limiteds for much less before also.

Bottom line: is it a preposterous price? IMHO I don't think so. Remember that with capitalism, the market is king when it comes to setting a price.
Keep in mind that with Pentax we have more choices, including heritage lenses with M42.
12-15-2009, 02:00 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Ahh you lot are just depressing!
There was I all happy about getting a NIB FA50 for 200 and then I wandered into here....
Suppose I'll have to cheer myself up with the FA* 24 I found for 300

12-15-2009, 02:02 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
But it is a significant price jump in a short period of time for any product. I paid $ 249 CAD for my Pentax 50mm F1.4, in Dec. 2008...last year almost to the day.

A friend paid $ 299 CAD for his Pentax 50mm F1.4, in June 2009...6 short months ago.

What was the latest price for this lens at the Pentax store ....$ 420 something USD.

Who is setting Pentax prices lately...OPEC ?
But did you pay your low price at the Pentax Webstore - or did you look for a bargain deal? These are two very different approaches and nobody forces the customer to buy from the most expensive place. As already mentioned in this threa, even BH is considerably cheaper.

Ben
12-15-2009, 04:50 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
But did you pay your low price at the Pentax Webstore - or did you look for a bargain deal? I got it at $249 CAD which was the typical price at camera stores in my city, Dec., 2008. I always look for the best deal, probably like most people, I would think.These are two very different approaches and nobody forces the customer to buy from the most expensive place. As already mentioned in this threa, even BH is considerably cheaper.

Ben
I should correct myself. I always try to buy at the cheapest price, but I always try to buy locally, rather then mail order for a couple of reasons. To support local camera specialty stores and if anything goes wrong it's easier just to hop down to the store. Fortunately I'm in a large (but not huge) sized city with about 9- 10 really good camera specialty stores, all which carry a good supply of Pentax equipment and these stores are very competitive. I don't buy camera equipment at big box electronic stores...as I find the knowledge or the wide array of equipment isn't there. Also I've found all the camera specialty stores match the best price and I prefer dealing with a specialty store.

Last edited by lesmore49; 12-15-2009 at 04:58 PM.
12-15-2009, 05:02 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Well, the Canon 50/1.4 is $374.00.
Is that preposterous too?
Your call.
How about the Nikon 50/1.4 at $444.00?
Would you touch it with a barge pole for that price?
I wouldn't. Perhaps if I were earning money with it and there were no other (more versatile) lenses I could achieve the results with.
How about the Sigma 50/1.4 for $499.00?
This is an apples to oranges comparison. Look at f/1.4 shots from these two. Given the history and construction of these lenses there is no surprise at all that the prices should be vastly different.
Or the Voigtlander Nokton at $379.00?
Have you seen the construction and bokeh from this lens?
A third party lens dressed up with a fancy German name, but is it really worth that much?
It is a German lens. C'mon, keep it real.
...then spend more money with anyone else.
Go for it.
No one will stop you.
I will stop myself since I have the FA 50/1.4 already (I say so in my first post). Why would I go and buy another expensive 50mm from a different system?
Why do you think Pentax should be able to manufacture and market a lens for less than Sony, Nikon or Canon?
Because they did for a long time. Simple as that.
It is a simple construction and has payed back its design and production setup decades ago. I don't spot any expensive parts (metal case, aspherical lens elements anyone?).

I don't know about the profit margins of the Canikony lenses but I don't buy the conjecture that Pentax was selling the FA 50/1.4 with a loss or no profit. Who has access to Pentax' books to state that with confidence?
When will people figure out that Pentax was plain and simply selling equipment at an unsustainably low price and now the party is over?
The second part of your statement is undeniably true.
They street price is competitive and is in line with what their competition is selling for.
Maybe, but lesmore49 has a point:
what will motivate non Pentax customers to buy P., rather than N. ot C...or even S. ?
... if everything is "in line" with the competitors except the many areas where Pentax still lags behind?
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Yes, that's a big increase from the $200 it used to go for - but that's very old news.
Maybe old but still unpleasant news. To be honest I was so shocked by the Pentax store price that I started the post and then -- as an afterthought -- checked the current B&H price. Was less of a shock but not sufficiently low to make me stop posting.
QuoteOriginally posted by DavidWasch Quote
What I don't get is why 50mm get all the attention-- a short tele.
It is useful as a portrait lens if you keep your distance, sometimes by cropping later.

The FA 50/1.4 with its old price was also a great way to attract zoom shooters into prime and shallow DOF land. It was a great "first, non-zoom, next after your kit lens"-lens. Many support Pentax' pricing policy and praise it as good business practice but what about the loss of the "quick fix" that wetted your appetite for more Pentax prime glass? I would have kept shooting my first zoom a lot longer, if the FA 50/1.4 would not have led me the way into LBA.

It seems that new management introduced a new calculation model that suggests that you can win more by selling less but at a higher price. Let's see how it works for them. I want Pentax to do well and still see some advantages compared to other brands. However, the same people that state Pentax is a business and not a welfare organisation will have to accept that customers will turn to other brands if they no longer see the balance tip to Pentax's favour. That's business.

Last edited by Class A; 12-15-2009 at 10:01 PM.
12-15-2009, 05:24 PM   #38
Igilligan

Hey Marc, since you like to run the numbers...

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Hey Marc,
If you have stats to prove your assertion that the Fa 50 1.4 was "way underpriced" I would love to see those. I just think that kind of assertation is being pulled out of some dark nether region. It is at best, an ok $200 lens IMHO.

It is a good, 'plastic', screwdrive AF lens, that needs to be stopped down to F2/F2.8 to look good. Just like the 100 dollar-ish 1.8's from canikon.
P.S. it also PF's like a mo wide open. But that is another argument for another day.

This is the entry level prime lens from Pentax, the one a new camera owner used to be able to afford as their first prime, and it has gone up 80% in a year! Are you honestly saying that you feel this truly a $350 dollar lens? If so, I will happily sell you mine.

Now I could care less if you have "run the numbers" and averaged the cost increase of every lens available in the pentax line up to come up with your 20% number... Most of those damn lenses are $650 to $1400 dollars... so of course they did not go 80 percent as they were already priced very high in the first place.
Hoya/Pentax who used to be the envy with their Prime Lenses Line up, has now priced the newbie and many of the rest of us out the market...

Shall we list the cost of the DA 35, the new 50 1.4, the 85mm (oops there is no 85)
Welcome to Pentax, with your great new $600 Kx... can I interest you in a $600 prime?

This is all just my opinion of course... and admittedly I am being Snarky as my K20 waits to be repaired...

Nothing but love to you Marc...

Hey Marc, thought I would give you some numbers...

Nikon
28mm 2.8 -- 250
35mm 1.8 -- 199
50mm 1.8 -- 120
85mm 1.8 -- 424

Total cost -- 939

Canon
28mm 2.8 -- 250
35mm 2.0 -- 299
50mm 1.8 -- 100
85mm 1.8 -- 380

Total cost -- 1029

And these numbers are after all of the devalution of the dollar, bla bla bla.... or whatever excuses the fanboys are using to explain a 80% increase in the price of our entry level prime lens!

Can you imagine how great it would be to have a series of inexpensive prime lenses like that to go with the amazing new Kx.... I know I could!

Last edited by Igilligan; 12-15-2009 at 05:54 PM.
12-15-2009, 06:22 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Insane in the states but here in Oz prices are ridiculous $AU 629 and over

cheers
12-15-2009, 06:55 PM   #40
Pentaxian

In the end I'm surprised by all the attention the lowly 50 mm lens has got...it's become sort of a star..maybe B movies... in the digital age....and being a B Movie star has seen the price go way up.

I bought my first Pentax SLR , new in the '60's an S1a. Coming standard as part of the deal was a 50mm f2.

Next in the '70's I bought the top of the line Pentax SLR...the ES 11...Electronic Spotmatic. Part of the deal was the 50 mm F 1.8.

My wife bought a K1000 around '80 with a 50 mm F 2. You know the routine...part of the deal.

The 50mm back in the film days was not regarded highly...were they even worth anything...many people felt. They came as part of the package, just like the everyready case ...a hard case on my S1a and a soft case on my ES 11.

Many quickly dispensed with the 50 mm standard lens and consigned it to the back of the sock drawer...while putting on a 35 mm F 3.5...or maybe F 2.8 if you had the bucks.

The 50 mm was regarded by many as a lens with little value...it filled the void behind the camera's lens mount.

Now digital days are here and a 50 mm due to the sensor size has transformed from a standard lens to a...a portrait lens...70 or 75 mm....fast too...f 1.4.

Great bokeh...we didn't use or know that word back in the Jurassic era.

I'm not criticizing my film days relic...the 50 mm F1.4. But back in '91-92 when it was introduced it was an ugly duckling...a standard lens...just part of the package.

Now it's been transformed ...Pop Photo and others have reviewed and given it a solid 'A' as a fast portrait lens. Well that's true. It is a fine lens.

The demand is up...people have read the reviews and bought it. Me too, I'm not different from the rest of the mob.

I like mine...but because I've been around for so many years I remember the very humble beginnings of the 50 mm F 1.4 lens...all manufactures had and have them.

Great deal for the manufacturers to raise up the price on this formerly lowly lens that little demand existed. In fact I don't recall anyone in the '60's, '70's , 80's actually going to a camera store to buy one.

My point after my somewhat long winded diatribe and wander down memory lane ?

It's a good lens, is fast, takes great pictures...but a 50 mm F 1.4 is nothing special. Only because of the 1.5/1.6 deal with digital SLR's has this lens... that few wanted become an... in demand piece of equipment.

Camera manufacturers...have seized on opportunity and the prices have risen up to heights unimagined back in the film days.

Nothing wrong with this, we do live in a capitalistic society and that's fine with me. Supply and demand as my Prof used to say in Economics 101.

But it's hard to pay big money for a 50 mm standard lens.

Maybe I'm just getting old.

Probably.
12-15-2009, 07:11 PM   #41
Veteran Member

I bought an FA50/1.4 from Henry's on eBay for $300 about ten days ago. With 10% BCB it will come to $270. Stay tuned to eBay - perhaps they'll re-list soon.

BTW, I'm really enjoying the lens. Plenty sharp for me at f/2.2 and up, and I like the focal length b/c I mostly shoot portraits.
12-15-2009, 07:27 PM   #42

Check out the price at Aden Camera.

$264.99CAD + Plus very cheap shipping (In Canada at least) - It's around $8 to where I am.

Aden Camera
12-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Unfortunately, the real question is: how many new f/1.4 lenses can you find at less than the price of the FA50? Yes, you may find older lenses, but compared to lenses still in production, the price is not preposterous.

The FA50 is a very good lens. The only bad thing I can say about it is that at the new price, it gets closer to the cost of other lenses with better build - in particular, I find the Voigtlander Nokton a more compelling alternative (I prefer MF lenses to AF lenses for the longer throw of the focus ring).
12-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Original Poster
...but a 50 mm F 1.4 is nothing special.
On an FF camera it is close to the normal FL of ~43mm, in fact it was regarded as the normal lens for FF cameras. Such a lens is special because it renders images without perspective distortion (assuming a standard viewing distance). Wider and longer lenses introduce perspective distortion which can be great to achieve effects but a common exercise for photography beginners is to try and create an interesting image with a normal lens only. Maybe it was common to hide the 50mm "kit lens" in the sock drawer, but it deserved a place on the camera.

N.B., with all the good pointers to better prices for the FA 50/1.4 this thread already fulfilled a good purpose.
12-15-2009, 10:01 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Buju Quote
Check out the price at Aden Camera.

$264.99CAD + Plus very cheap shipping (In Canada at least) - It's around $8 to where I am.

Aden Camera
Availability: No Stock