Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Troubleshooting SDM lens AF problem

My 16-60 zoom seems to no longer wish to AF with my K10D.

Here are the symptoms:

No AF activity when pressing the AF button or the half-press of the shutter button.

The info screen shows the AF/MF status of the switch on the lens as well as the zoom position, so it appears to be communicating with the body properly.

My 50-135 works fine.

I'm about to go on a 2 week trip tomorrow and I was cleaning my gear when I found this problem. I've tried turning the debug software off and on. I only have one other SDM lens and it works ok. My other DA and D-FA lenses work ok.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of issue before? Am I missing any special troubleshooting steps to do a quick fix?

Thanks in advance!

12-15-2009, 06:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Do you have a camera that does not support SDM? (Hint: you can load older firmware version on to your K10D).

If yes, attach the 16-50 to that body, and exercise the screw-drive auto focus mechanism for a while (auto focus far then near then far ....). This may 'wake up' the SDM.

If you can't find a body to exercise the screw-drive auto focus mechanism, use a small screw driver to do so by hand.

If I were you, I would not try to fix it now. I would just load the K10D with an older firmware version and deal with the lens when back from the trip.

Last edited by SOldBear; 12-15-2009 at 06:22 PM.
12-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the tip on the firmware downgrade idea. I've rolled back to a version of 1.10. The lens does focus.

I'll try fooling with it some more and seeing if I can go back to the 1.30 version and keep the SDM working.
12-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Smigol;
-I'll try fooling with it some more and seeing if I can go back to the 1.30 version and keep the SDM working.
It has been tried before and it is believed to be impossible.
I suggest you don't spend your precious time...

Good luck, from now on

12-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #5

I had the same problem too

I also had the same problem too with my original 16-50mm. It would work find with screw-drive autofocus, but SDM focus would not work. Ended up sending it back to Pentax and received a new one in the mail about 1 month later.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/63908-autofocus...00d-super.html