Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2010, 10:20 AM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Winnie Quote
So if I look for a pretty-common-on-ebay 44M-4, I can use the green button just as I do with a Tak, correct?

Are there any drawbacks to this lens?
Yep.

The only drawback in my eyes is that some people hate the bokeh. If you've liked the samples you've seen, I can't see you being disappointed.

It can also have a pretty stiff focusing ring.

02-14-2010, 01:22 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Winnie Quote
So if I look for a pretty-common-on-ebay 44M-4, I can use the green button just as I do with a Tak, correct?

Are there any drawbacks to this lens?
The 44M-4 lacks the A/M switch to set the aperture to full manual mode. Most owners perform a little minor surgery to shim the aperture actuator pin so that the iris is always stopped down.

As for usability...yes, green button will work, though most of use using M42 lenses run the camera in Av mode. Much easier.

Steve
09-11-2010, 02:05 AM   #33
Veteran Member

I just got the 44k-4, and it works. Got it from a nice russian seller, having lots of them left i think.

Mine is quite stiff to focus from 0,6 to 1. Is there anything i could do to solve this?

I have taken apart lenses before so i can do it.
09-11-2010, 09:26 AM   #34
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
I just got the 44k-4, and it works. Got it from a nice russian seller, having lots of them left i think.

Mine is quite stiff to focus from 0,6 to 1. Is there anything i could do to solve this?

I have taken apart lenses before so i can do it.
I had a similar problem with my 44M. You should be able to get to the focus helicoid from the front of the lens without having to mess with the aperture stuff at the back. I flushed with a bit of Ronsonal (cigarette lighter fluid) and the focus loosened up significantly.

Steve

09-11-2010, 11:12 AM   #35
Forum Member

I'm thinking about acquiring a Helios-44K, but have some questions. Does it fit perfectly on my DSLR without any adapter? It seems to have the K-mount aperture pin, but does it work with a DSLR? I guess the aperture needs to be set manually, but does a DSLR close it's diaphragm like it was a regular K-mount lens?
09-11-2010, 11:48 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I had a similar problem with my 44M. You should be able to get to the focus helicoid from the front of the lens without having to mess with the aperture stuff at the back. I flushed with a bit of Ronsonal (cigarette lighter fluid) and the focus loosened up significantly.
Steve
Thanks!
Did you actually pour that into the lens Dont know if i dare to do that. Explain more plesae!

QuoteOriginally posted by Jüri Quote
I'm thinking about acquiring a Helios-44K, but have some questions. Does it fit perfectly on my DSLR without any adapter? It seems to have the K-mount aperture pin, but does it work with a DSLR? I guess the aperture needs to be set manually, but does a DSLR close it's diaphragm like it was a regular K-mount lens?
the 44K-4 will fit perfectly without any adapter since it is a K-mount lens
09-11-2010, 12:26 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry for thread jacking but I thought only the Helios 44-2 had circular bokeh. Do all helios 44__ have circular bokeh?
09-11-2010, 02:00 PM   #38
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Sorry for thread jacking but I thought only the Helios 44-2 had circular bokeh. Do all helios 44__ have circular bokeh?
All Helii have the same optical formula and presumably the same tendency to the "swirly" bokeh. That being said, it is more prevalent on some samples than on others. My 44M seldom shows it, but other people get in on almost every photo. There is a Helio 44 group on Flickr. You might want to browse the images to get an better idea what the lens is all about.
Flickr: The Helios 44 Pool

Steve

09-11-2010, 02:08 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Thanks!
Did you actually pour that into the lens Dont know if i dare to do that. Explain more plesae!
No!

With the lens partially disassembled, you dribble a few drop of the fluid onto an exposed section of the helicoid. You use a cloth or tissue to wick off whatever dribbles off the bottom edge. Dribble a little, dab the excess, and work the mechanism back and forth. It does not take much to break up the old solidified grease.

Ideally you would disassemble the helicoid off the lens, clean thoroughly, and re-lubricate with a modern lithium grease.

the 44K-4 will fit perfectly without any adapter since it is a K-mount lens
No adapter required, but stop-down (green button) metering in M-mode is the only supported mode. The meter accuracy using this method is somewhat variable except for the K-x and K-7 which both work quite well.

Steve
09-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Original Poster
No adapter required, but stop-down (green button) metering in M-mode is the only supported mode. The meter accuracy using this method is somewhat variable except for the K-x and K-7 which both work quite well.
Why not used Av mode
Not stop down needed and it will continuously meter the scene as you do your thing.

... added later...

Okay, scratch that.
It's K mount
09-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #41
Veteran Member

No!

With the lens partially disassembled, you dribble a few drop of the fluid onto an exposed section of the helicoid. You use a cloth or tissue to wick off whatever dribbles off the bottom edge. Dribble a little, dab the excess, and work the mechanism back and forth. It does not take much to break up the old solidified grease.

Ideally you would disassemble the helicoid off the lens, clean thoroughly, and re-lubricate with a modern lithium grease.
Steve
Ok... Will try it!
09-12-2010, 05:24 AM   #42
Forum Member

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. It sounds quite inconvenient, so I guess I'm going to choose a 50mm Pentax-A lens instead, although I really like the "swirling" bokeh.
09-12-2010, 05:35 AM   #43
emr

It isn't really that complex or inconvenient. Just use M mode, choose the wished aperture on the lens and just push the green button to measure exposure. Of course in fast situations it isn't that convenient, but you only have to use the green button once if the light and composition does not change.
09-12-2010, 12:08 PM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
It isn't really that complex or inconvenient. Just use M mode, choose the wished aperture on the lens and just push the green button to measure exposure. Of course in fast situations it isn't that convenient, but you only have to use the green button once if the light and composition does not change.
I'm actually using *ist DS, which as far as I know doesn't have the "green button" capability. But I'm still wondering what exactly prevents the DSLR from metering automatically. The 44K-4 has the aperture pin, which shows the camera exact aperture. So shouldn't it work like a regular Pentax A-lens?
09-12-2010, 02:03 PM   #45
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jüri Quote
I'm actually using *ist DS, which as far as I know doesn't have the "green button" capability. But I'm still wondering what exactly prevents the DSLR from metering automatically. The 44K-4 has the aperture pin, which shows the camera exact aperture. So shouldn't it work like a regular Pentax A-lens?
There are no "A" contacts on the Helios and the "crippled" mount on the *ist DS is not able mechanically couple to the aperture ring. Regardless of the set aperture, the camera's meter always assumes that the lens is wide open.

Steve