FA31, DA70, DFA100 1645.71%
FA43, DA70, DFA100 720.00%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #16
sft

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Excellent! Thanks for all the replies and votes - so far option c) is at 5, b) is at 12 and a) is at 11 votes. a) and b) are head to head. Well I gotta say I think ive got LBA bad! I am set on the FA31 (FA35 is fine too but impossible to find) and I will order it today probably as my Dad is goign to visit family in the US in a few weeks so I want him to bring it back. Besides my Dad agreed to buy me the FA31 as an early birthday gift (my birthday is not until September!)

I'm also going to ask my girlfriend who is now doing her MBA in Canada to see if she will buy me a DA21 Ltd for my birthday

That leaves the DA*55 and DA70. I do love the DA70 it is a fantastic lens - I do think that 55 would work better as a natural progression though and larger apertures are always welcome as I am sure SDM will be too. I am sure any of the primes would probably be joys to use!

So this creates a whole new option - option d) DA21, FA31, DA*55, DFA100.
A little more expensive than I thought - but hey birthday's are cool! The DA*55 aint coming till God knews when anyways so that will provide some relief and until then I'll keep using the FA50.

Feel free to continue to vote and comment and let me know what a bad/good choice I made and feed fuel my LBA!

Last edited by sft; 06-17-2007 at 02:33 AM.
06-17-2007, 03:31 PM   #17
sft

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Ordered the FA31!

Oh yeah - this baby is coming!!

Sent to my sisters place in California - my dad will bring it back with him when he goes to visit her at the end of July/early August. Cant wait!! The worst thing about not being in the US anymore - not being able to find Pentax gear in Turkey and the few shops that do sell them probably do so at 50-100% markups due to tax, etc

Anyways Im happy now!

Now - gotta see if the DA21 is a possibility as I will let the appropiate people know its on my wishlist! And when the time comes (2008 probably) the decision on DA*55 vs. DA70 will be made and the fate of the FA50 will be decided.

On a seperate note - I did however find the reasons for the AF problems with my FA50: the battery.
When the battery is nearing close to depletion the AF performance really suffers (as I think the SR does based on nothing but a hunch). The AF performance I am sure of - I took shots today in the SAME light as the other day but with a very close to fully charged battery and the thing not only focused faster - it also was accurate even at apertures like f/1.6 and f/1.8, etc. I had encountered this before but then forgot about it and since the battery meter is so bad with the K10D - that is you get like 30-50 shot warning before any signs of battery power going down I never again attributed it low battery power. This is a releif. Now I dont need the DA*55 Of course time will tell - if the optical quality is even better and SDM etc. works superb (and I sure would love QS focusing on a lens I use mainly for portraits) then I may but no hurry to get rid of FA50 now that I know my problem!

Looking very forward to the * zooms also. Cant wait for all this great Pentax glass. I was getting a little tired of the 18-55

Last edited by sft; 06-17-2007 at 03:53 PM.
06-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #18

i don't want any fa, they are over priced

and the feeling of buying anything over priced is dull