Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2009, 06:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC-A focal length display?

I bought my first SMC-A zoom lens and it arrived today. All works well, but I was wondering if it's possible to get the focal length to display on my K20D? Right now, all I see at different focal lengths is"--mm" in red on the LCD display when I press the INFO button in shooting mode. It's not the end of the world if this won't work, but I'm just curious if it would.

12-16-2009, 06:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pre F lenses weren't chipped so the answer is no.
12-16-2009, 07:38 PM   #3
Dan

If you enable shake reduction it will show whatever focal length you input. This works great for primes. For zooms you need to change the setting as you change the focal length. This is a bit awkward unless you are shooting a series of shots at a given zoom setting.

Dan
12-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hey Dan, I didn't understand what you meant at first, but then I stumbled upon this Input Focal Length feature by accident. Simply turning the SR switch to on while the camera is on doesn't bring up the menu to input the focal length; it only appears if you turn the SR switch on when the camera is off and then turn the camera on.

When I investigated this further in the K20D manual (I didn't know what to look for before), I also found this out: if the camera is already on, press the MENU button then go into the Rec. Mode menu to the second screen and you can choose to Input Focal Length directly from there. This feature is obviously only for lenses like the A and M ones where focal length information cannot be acquired by the camera.

As you said, it's a pain with a manual zoom lens, for sure, but I'm thrilled that an answer to my question actually exists! The K20D and Pentax versatility is impressing me more over time.

12-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
i generally leave SR on at all times, and just switch off when im using the tripod. so a quick off/on allows me to change FL easily