Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2009, 11:15 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Look REALLY hard at the thrifts and estate sales. Craigslist. Whatever.

12-22-2009, 11:43 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
Only problem I have is using the green button with flash... you'd think the camera knows you have the flash up and would calculate the right shutter speed; but that's an issue for another thread.
The camera cannot calculate the correct shutter speed for flash because shutter speed is mostly irrelevant when using flash (except if you make it slow enough that ambient light enters the picture). Flash exposure is a matter between aperture and flash output only, and since the camera has no clue what the aperture is when using the aperture ring, there is no way for it to control the flash.

QuoteQuote:
Being party season I've used this lens taking hundreds of snaps at two parties, in very very low light. f/1.2 is indeed needed in such conditions.
Needed only if you're unwilling to turn up ISO to compensate, or to use flash - and are willing to put up with the ridiculously shallow DOF that results from shooting 50mm at f/1.2. It has its uses, to be sure, but it's hardly "needed".
12-22-2009, 12:09 PM   #18
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The camera cannot calculate the correct shutter speed for flash because shutter speed is mostly irrelevant when using flash (except if you make it slow enough that ambient light enters the picture). Flash exposure is a matter between aperture and flash output only, and since the camera has no clue what the aperture is when using the aperture ring, there is no way for it to control the flash.
See how much I know? thanx much. I should have know that by now. But admittedly, I never ventured to learn flash usage yet; got a 540 recently even that goes terribly under utilized.
Needed only if you're unwilling to turn up ISO to compensate, or to use flash - and are willing to put up with the ridiculously shallow DOF that results from shooting 50mm at f/1.2. It has its uses, to be sure, but it's hardly "needed".
You make the mistake of assuming I wasn't already shooting between ISO 800 - 1600 on my K10D (i.e. doesn't go higher)...or that use of flash in such party situations completely negates the ability to be incognito and shoot the candids I want -- everybody kept exclaiming they can't tell when I'm taking a picture, which was exactly what I'm going for -- or the use of flash around the diner table in a restaurant while we have a rip roaring good time is similar for all at your table and all the others around you to pulling out your cell phone and loudly discussing your visit about gastroenteritis with someone 3/4 deaf on the other side of the phone. This of course is the age old debate of folks who don't want to use flash vs folks who know you have to to get the best results...
12-22-2009, 07:29 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by m8o Quote
You make the mistake of assuming I wasn't already shooting between ISO 800 - 1600 on my K10D (i.e. doesn't go higher)
Same with my K200D. But you can always underexpose and push in PP, or potentially considering slowing the shutter speed. The difference between f/1.2 and f/1.4 is just half a stop. There are essentially no situations where you can't make up that difference through push processing and/or shutter speed. adjustments and barely notice any ill effect. I actually do most of my low light shooting at f/2.8, and push up to two stops when necessary, but it's rarely necessary to go more than one. I'd be curious to see some of the pictures you ended up with, though!

QuoteQuote:
...or that use of flash in such party situations completely negates the ability to be incognito and shoot the candids I want
I'm with you there - I virtually never use flash myself. I just brought it up because you had just asked about flash, so I assumed you weren't as flash-averse as I am.

12-22-2009, 09:24 PM   #20
m8o
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd be curious to see some of the pictures you ended up with, though!
Some good [https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/74819-post-you...tml#post847796] (well, maybe 'ok') ... some not so good [https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-processing-printing-software-darkroo...ally-well.html] (well, pretty piss-poor actually) Still have to get thru converting all of them and posting them. There's much better very candid photos of Harvey as an example actually.

When I was much much more sober (the 1st party where I was taking pictures of the party goers) I was actually doing as you describe with a reasonably high shutter speed and pushing the photo in Lightroom. The before & after of the two women smiling for the camera is probably boosted about 3 stops in post.

You bring-up an interesting point about the 1/2 stop gain of a f/1.2 vs. f/1.4. I was thinking the same thing at the time, and rather than feeling it was insignificant, I opted to take the f/1.2 for that very reason. While yes, the extra stop isn't going to help a photo much if you use a shutter speed of 1/6th vs. 1/4th sec, but it can certainly help if it allows you to use 1/150th of a sec vs. 1/100th of a sec. Both have such razor thin focus it's a toss-up, and I was thinking the gain in possible shutter speed could prove more beneficial.

Last edited by m8o; 12-22-2009 at 09:35 PM.