Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2009, 03:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
lets say i want/need an 1.2 lens on the cheap...

hi, i want the cheapest 1.2 lens for my k20d... i think it is going to be a 55mm.. and ive seen some brands.. can you point me to a nice glass here (and cheap) thanks...

12-17-2009, 05:24 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't think "sheep" would apply to f1.2 glass
12-17-2009, 05:46 AM   #3
Voe
Veteran Member

Cheap or expensive it's your call, but in Pentax land you have only two choices:

1. Pentax A 50mm f/1.2 (also available as K without aperture pin)
2. Cosina 55mm f/1.2 (mostly available in M42 and is know under other names like Porst, Yashica, Tomioka)

Never tried the Cosina, but recently bought the Pentax and it's a keeper.

I should have noted that all the shots above are at f/1.2.

Last edited by Voe; 12-17-2009 at 05:55 AM. Reason: photos
12-17-2009, 05:58 AM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Voe Quote
Cheap or expensive it's your call, but in Pentax land you
2. Cosina 55mm f/1.2 (mostly available in M42 and is know under other names like Porst, Yashica, Tomioka)
I've seen nice pictures taken with the Cosina, and if you are really lucky, you could get it for 200 in ebay (the cheapest i've seen them go). And I'm almost sure they made them in K mount.

12-17-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap or expensive it's your call, but in Pentax land you have only two choices:

Ah! Is this why you sold your Volna-9 ...nice pictures, but no more MF lenses for me.
12-17-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Well.... let's see...

If you really want the cheapest possible f/1.2 experience on your Pentax camera, I would suggest looking for a Nikon Nikkor f/1.2 lens (either 50mm or 55mm or 58mm, I forget which varieties they come in and which are the cheapest) which is slightly damaged, like scratches on the glass or body dents. I see nice old MF Nikkor 1.2s in this condition go for $100-150 on eBay, I can try to dig up some auctions...

Now you may be asking "but hey, wallyb, I'm shooting with a Pentax camera! Why would I use a Nikon lens?" and the answer to that is that lenses with Nikon mount will snugly (albeit still improperly) fit on the K-mount. While it's hardly rock-solid as it doesn't lock in, as long as you're careful with using it, it should be fine. Especially with a physically shorter lens like a 50mm. I've done it myself, and it works pretty well.

That's about the cheapest f/1.2 experience I can think of. If you're looking for something a little more 'usable', I would look out for a Cosina 55mm f/1.2 in K-mount, or a Tomioka 58mm (I think; different lens than the Cosina to my knowledge) f/1.2 in m42 mount, which are about $250 and $300 used, on average. That's the next cheapest set of lenses I can think of. Though you might be lucky and find a Pentax K 50mm f/1.2 for around that amount if you wait long enough, it's only worth about $350 tops.
12-17-2009, 09:43 AM   #7
Pentaxian

BTW, not knowing anything about you, I have to ask - are you really sure you need an f/1.2 lens? You do realize these are pretty rare speciality items, and that most photograpers - even serious/professional ones - never really consider anything beyond f/1.4? On the other hand, if you need it, you need it - but the fact that you don't seem clear on what's available and are looking for it to be cheap suggests to me that perhaps you are thinking f/1.2 lenses are more common than they are.
12-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

The porst you can get realy cheap, The Swede and i bid on the same lens, I think it went for 90E

12-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Be aware the Cosina also comes in other brandings like Porst and Revuenon. Expand those search terms!

edit: er, Voe already got to that, I guess.
12-17-2009, 10:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Be aware the Cosina also comes in other brandings like Porst and Revuenon. Expand those search terms!

edit: er, Voe already got to that, I guess.
I'm pretty sure that there are (at least) two different versions of the 55/1.2, within the various third-party manufacturers. Something about different # of aperture blades or minimum focus. A google search would probably tell more.
12-17-2009, 11:06 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Don't forget the Tomioka 55mm f1.2 in m42 mount. However, it isn't typical to use it and cheap in the same sentence. There was also a Chinon Tomioka 55mm f1.2 in m42 mount.

Last edited by Blue; 12-17-2009 at 11:11 AM.
12-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #12
Igilligan

I have the Cosina 55 1.2 Kmount and Highly recommend it as the "cheap" option.

If you can afford the Pentax A version or even M version go for it!

But I love my little cosina.

I looked for a while for the screwmount variants, and there a quite a few versions as mentioned above. But I could rarely find them and they were usually auctioning higher than the used copies of the Cosina were going for.

The 1.2's are really more art glass than anything else, but they are a lot of fun.
12-21-2009, 06:55 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Where did you score the 1.2? In melbourne?
12-21-2009, 02:57 PM   #14
m8o
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I have the Cosina 55 1.2 Kmount and Highly recommend it as the "cheap" option.

If you can afford the Pentax A version or even M version go for it!
But I love my little cosina.

The 1.2's are really more art glass than anything else, but they are a lot of fun.
I agree with all this.

I'll say I do wish I had the Pentax A lens for its ability to work more automated when stopping down, and being a beautiful looking chunky Pentax lens. But OTOH the green button does such a great job at setting exposure with the Cosina I think I actually have more consistent exposure results with it than I do when an A lens w/o the green button. Only problem I have is using the green button with flash... you'd think the camera knows you have the flash up and would calculate the right shutter speed; but that's an issue for another thread.

Being party season I've used this lens taking hundreds of snaps at two parties, in very very low light. f/1.2 is indeed needed in such conditions.
12-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #15
Voe
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Where did you score the 1.2? In melbourne?
I bought it from the Marketplace at pentaxforums.com.