Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #1

General Purpose Lens for the K10d Body

I have been happily using a Nikon F3 with non zoom lenses for the past 30 years, but have finally decided to join the digital age. I am a not a novice to photography, but I have no experience with a digital SLR.

After some research, I have decided on the Pentax K10d body and I would like some advice on the lens to use with the K10d body. Initially I will only have a general purpose/“walking around lens”. I am not too concerned about extreme wide angle and I usually use a lens in the 35mm-105mm range with the Nikon. I do some hiking, so weight and durability are factors.

I have narrowed my choices to the following lenses:

Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR DiII Macro
Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8 XR Di Macro
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro

Although all 3 lenses are affordable, I could get each of the 2 Tamrons for approximately the same cost while the Sigma would cost about $90- more. The Sigma is the second generation of the lens and seems to be an improvement over the earlier non macro version. Also, 2.8 is usually better than 3.5-6.3.

The 18-200 Tamron and the Sigma are designed for digital only while the 28-75mm Tamron can be used with a film camera also. I will not be using the lens I end up buying with a film camera, but I wonder if there is some advantage to using a lens designed exclusively for digital on a digital SLR.

I would appreciate any information or suggestions.

Thanks

06-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would suggest a look at the Sigma 17-70 1:2.8-4.5. I have found this lens to be a truly excellent lens on the K10d.. Sharp as any, very high quality macro, all round top performer I have found.
Don't know if it is within your price range but is not "exceptionally" expensive.
Best of luck....
06-15-2007, 12:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi RJL

Out of the three lenses that you listed, I have got the Tamron 28-75/2.8 and it is an excellent lens but it is not quite wide enough on the wide end to suit your 36mm requirement.

If 36mm is all you need on the wide end, have a look at:
- Sigma 24-70/2.8
- Tamron 24-135 (not fast but have got very good reviews)

The new Sigma 18-50/2.8 DC Macro has been receiving good reviews too but it is only a digital only lens. Both lenses that I have listed above can be used on film bodies.

cheers
Kenny
06-15-2007, 12:19 PM   #4

I'm sorry I don't have either of the 3 you mention. I normally use my Pentax 16-45, but I wish it had more reach, into the 70-80 area. On the wide side I find it just about right and I wouldn't want to go much narrower without having something else in the wide range as well. I think I'd find something more in the 17-70 range a lot more convenient as a starting point for range. For me 45-50 just barely gets me to where I want, which leads me to more frequent lens swapping.

From my film days I have a Pentax 28-200. It's a tad heavy but the range is nice. When I put it on my K10D it just doesn't get wide enough.

I'm thinking about the 18-200 to throw on my DS for my wife to have as a primary, with me absconding with it once in awhile.

06-15-2007, 04:50 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RJL Quote
I have narrowed my choices to the following lenses:

Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR DiII Macro
Tamron SP AF28-75mm F2.8 XR Di Macro
Sigma 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC Macro
Hmm. You are going from the old film world having used prime lenses to a dSLR and pretty heavy zooms. Are you sure about this?

After over two years with a dSLR (DS and K10D) I'm still learning a lot. I haven't came to a point where I think I can handle zooms and composition though. I started taking pictures many years ago, having used SLR cameras for about 30 years and I'm totally stuck with primes. I have one zoom, the FA20-35, which is a very good one. I tend to use it as a slow normal with the option to go to a slow moderate wide by turning a ring...

Well, that's me.

From your list there is only one I could imagine to try; the Sigma 18-50. It wouldn't be my choice though. To me it makes more sense to just get the DA18-55 as a kit with the camera, add the FA3/2 and then start to learn stuff. The kit lens is cheap enough to just keep when you have found out what lens you really want or need (where want=need I think).

good luck,
06-24-2007, 07:06 PM   #6
RJL

Original Poster
I appreciate everyone's replies. I think Jonas B has an excellent point in that there is certainly a learning curve going to digital from film and going from prime lenses to zoom.

That said, I purchased the K10d the other day and was about to get the kit lens with it when I spoted the Tamron 18-200. I tried it on the K10d body and fell in love. I bought it and now I only hope I will learn how to use it in time to get some acceptable results when the leaves turn - a spectacular time here in Japan.

Thanks again.

RJL