Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 12:18 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just ordered mine used for C$30.00.

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I tried for several genuine Pentax mount adaptors, and someone was always in the auction with those last minute automatic bids. I didn't want to pay more than $30 + shipping, so I finally smartened up and e-mailed my friend Tim at Vintage Visuals Photographic in Calgary saying I wanted a genuine Pentax Mount adaptor K. He e-mailed back a few minutes later and said he had one for $30. I sent him the CC on the secure order page.

I need one because I have, in the last couple of months, come into a Fujica ST-901 with 50/1.4 and off brand 2x converter. More recently a Spotmatic F with SMC Takumar 55/1.8 and an off brand 85-210 arrived in a nice leather camera case. Both were free. For C$30 I get not one but two fast 50's or thereabouts to use on the K10, MZ-S and/or SF-1. Gloat.

12-20-2009, 03:06 AM   #17
Veteran Member

I would recommend the genuine adapter as well. The genuine adapter is very easy to install and dismount by one's fingers. The off-brand may need some tool. I have a few off-brand ones that I try never to use. "Pay more first, hurt only once"
12-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I use the one from Pentax. It's 30 dollars well spent.
12-20-2009, 06:00 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jeremyhall Quote
Agree. I compromised and bought this :

M42 to Pentax k10D k100D K200D K20D DL adapter(silver) - eBay, Other Accessories, Photographic Accessories, Cameras. (end time 26-Dec-09 19:06:30 AEDST)

I only plan to use M42 lenses occasionally, and just for mucking around - so not gonna drop 7x the price on a pentax adapter.
Take care with your new adapter. I had one similar to yours (bought retail from Adorama) and almost came to grief the first time it was mounted to my camera. When time came to take it out, I was surprised to find the that it refused to budge. It took several hours of fiddling before I finally got it off. Lesson learned. A few other things I noted before I sent it back:
  • Quality of manufacture was below that of the Pentax version (thinner metal, rougher machining)
  • The adapter was covered with fine metal shards that fell onto the mirror and into the camera
  • The adapter fit poorly inside the camera such that it over-rotated within the mount. This was likely the cause of the jam.
Some forum members have had good luck by removing the adapter's spring, permanently attaching the adapter to the lens, and notching/drilling the lens base to engage the release pin on the K-mount body.

Another member had good luck re-contouring part of the adapter bayonet. With any luck, he will weigh in with some advice on this thread.

Good luck.

Steve

(Has two genuine Pentax adapters...not buying the brand-X again)

Last edited by stevebrot; 12-20-2009 at 06:07 AM.
12-20-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
35 euros for a piece of mass-produced machined steel is a bit steep. IMO.
35 Euros will seem cheap the first time the adapter gets stuck on the camera, regardless of the method of manufacture.

Steve
01-22-2010, 03:56 AM   #21

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
35 Euros will seem cheap the first time the adapter gets stuck on the camera, regardless of the method of manufacture.

Steve
You're prescient.

Bought a US$10 adapter (the one without a flange, that looks like the proper pentax one)... now it's stuck on my old K100D. It's not so bad having a M42 mount camera.. but any ideas about how to un-stick it would be nice.
01-22-2010, 04:14 AM   #22
Veteran Member

I've had the adaptors from SRB Griturn and found them to be decent quality and price. They are 15 Euro's at the moment.

M42 lenses on Pentax K

Mine have all come with the removal tool, and the tiny locating spring is held in place with a screw rather than a rivet so it can easily be removed and stuck on a lens with a bit of Loctite.

Good service as well.

01-22-2010, 06:15 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought a real one at a local store that specializes in used equipment

I also bought 5 flanged adaptors at $5 each off e-bay to convert non pentax mount lenses to pentax.

So far I have successfully converted a 24F2 and a 28F2 from Nikon AI and Minolta MD to K mount, I have 3 more adaptors to find lenses for
01-22-2010, 10:52 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I bought a real one at a local store that specializes in used equipment

I also bought 5 flanged adaptors at $5 each off e-bay to convert non pentax mount lenses to pentax.

So far I have successfully converted a 24F2 and a 28F2 from Nikon AI and Minolta MD to K mount, I have 3 more adaptors to find lenses for:D
Have you looked through the SRB Griturn site? they have a good range of adaptors.
01-22-2010, 11:24 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lloydy Quote
Have you looked through the SRB Griturn site? they have a good range of adaptors.
I looked but they only , for pentax, offer screw mount adaptors,

the issue is, pentax, and also nikon, have relatively large registry distances (nikon being even longer than pentax). Also no two makers of bayonette lenses use the same distance,

as a result, unless you have a lens with a much shorter registry distance, typically more than 5mm less, the only way to make an adaptor is to either physically change mounts, or to add an optically corrected adaptro in between, This turns out to be a 1.25X teleconverter (I have one nikon to pentax).

that might be fine for a tele lens, but not for wide angle.
01-23-2010, 12:49 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I always recommend the Genuine Pentax Adapter from Pentax webstore:

And you can reference my blog posts about m42 adapter
Thanks,
Hin
01-23-2010, 10:38 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I recently received my genuine Pentax adaptor from one of our members. The advantages of the Pentax genuine version are that the registration distance is perfect, and the adapter is easily removed with a pen tip (recommended by Pentax) or in my normal operation mode, a fingernail.
01-23-2010, 12:26 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
35 euros for a piece of mass-produced machined steel is a bit steep. IMO.
It's cheap, very very cheap. The original Pentax goes here at the moment for around US$90 (taking the average currency ratio, not exchange rate, for pentax cameras/lenses).

I eventually did buy it because I could get a very good deal on a lensand at the end still save money.
01-24-2010, 07:29 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The Pentax store is always "out of stock" when I look. I got one on Ebay shipped for $35.95 US, it works perfectly and is very easy to install and remove. There are nearly always a few on Ebay, but you have to search. I search with terms like Asahi and Genuine, but a lot of sellers know this so they will throw those words into the listing. Make sure you look at the photo and know what you are looking for.
01-25-2010, 04:14 PM   #30

They were in stock at the Pentax store a few months ago. I wish I'd bought one then.

My current options are hoping I don't get outbid again on the more reasonably-priced ones on eBay, or biting the bullet and paying $46 to the one seller who has a large stock.