Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 07:57 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tamron 10-24mm anyone?

I looked at what is available on the net about the Tamron 10-24mm and it seems like a nice lens. Klaus from photozone.de did not give the lens a good feedback but I looked at the photo-gallery in the review and was astonished by the color rendering and sharpness of this lens.

12-19-2009, 08:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

2 reviews here:

PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 Di II
12-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

It is worth thinking about that a lens bought mostly for landscape photography is used at smaller apertures to ensure large DOF and that border sharpness is less of an issue in closeups.
Of course, it depends on your style, but 10-24 is a very useful range and MTF graphs are just numbers, after all.
12-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #4
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster

I've been there already. I was hoping for some discussion and eventual images made with this lens.

12-19-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Voe
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by KjetilH Quote
It is worth thinking about that a lens bought mostly for landscape photography is used at smaller apertures to ensure large DOF and that border sharpness is less of an issue in closeups.
Of course, it depends on your style, but 10-24 is a very useful range and MTF graphs are just numbers, after all.
I agree about the MTF numbers. I'm not into particular style, I will most likely use it for landscape and architectural shots but there will be some close-ups as well. The Tamron doesn't look like a sharpness king, but the I love the contrast and colors of the photos from dpreview and photozone.de regardless of the not so great test numbers.
12-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can we have some more reviews of this lens, please? Surely more than two forum members own one. The published reviews don't agree with each other, from what I've read. Pop Photo, for instance, says it's sharp- others do not say that. Trying to decide between this or just get a 15mm Ltd...
12-21-2009, 07:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'll post a review soon. The lens is performing amazingly so far!

12-21-2009, 07:39 PM   #8
Banned

I use the 10-24mm Tamron more than any other lens with my K-7 for HD video and stills. It works great for HDR shots indoors and outdoors.
HDR strong mode @10mm:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3GohLHY5Gs[/yt]
12-22-2009, 12:32 PM   #9
Inactive Account

I recently had the opportunity to test for sample variation from 10 samples as I was very interested in this lens.

Sadly I found that there was very wide variation between units. The problems varied from being very soft all over at all focal lengths especially at the corners, bad centering on many and some were very sharp in the centre but soft at the edges and I found that out of the 10 samples there were only 3 that were pretty good at all focal lengths and across the frame.

Even so, all had a fair amount of CA, very critical sharpness/aperture tolerance (fell away outside of the f8-f11 band) and some distortion at all focal lengths, it also had a tendency to over expose by around 1 stop and had considerably lower contrast and colour fidelity than the Pentax/Samsung D-Xenon 12-24.

So unless you desperately want 10mm or a close focussing distance, I would strongly suggest the latter.

I ended up buying a D-Xenon 12-24 which was considerably less expensive than the DA 12-24 here in the UK, but now very scarce as supplies have all but dried up. It's performance is considerably better than the Tamron or the Sigma 10-20 (I've had two of those). Sadly the Pentax is a horrific price over here.

Basically, if you don't have the opportunity to select a Tamron from a reasonable number of units, I would not recommend buying as the chance of getting a well made one seems fairly low. This is probably why there is a generally poor opinion of the lens from both reviewers and some users apart from a few isolated cases.
12-22-2009, 12:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
it also had a tendency to over expose by around 1 stop
A lot of times, that will be caused by a confused meter because of such a wide range of lighting in a 10mm shot. My copy of the 10-24mm, in the testing I did today, had exactly this problem outdoors, but exposed perfectly indoors where the lighting was very even. I can't imagine other wide-angle lenses being any different.

Also, maybe I got lucky, but the only problem my lens has is a very very slight BF/FF issue. A missed focus only happens in about 1 out of ever 10 shots with the lens, and is only by a very small degree that is eliminated past f/5.6. Again, I suspect this is caused by a combination of the close focusing distance and a wide range of focusing planes in a super-wide-angle image.

Further, my copy is excruciatingly sharp with great contrast and almost no undue distortion. There is always going to be distortion going this wide. Building shots are very straight, though. It's much lower distortion than other super-wide-angle lenses I've used, for example the Tamron 11-18mm.

I'm still testing, but these are my results so far. I would easily recommend the lens.
12-23-2009, 07:39 AM   #11
Inactive Account

Certainly not meaning to Highjack this thread, but

How about a comparison between the Tamron 10-24 and the Sigma 10-20?
12-23-2009, 12:10 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
A lot of times, that will be caused by a confused meter because of such a wide range of lighting in a 10mm shot. My copy of the 10-24mm, in the testing I did today, had exactly this problem outdoors, but exposed perfectly indoors where the lighting was very even. I can't imagine other wide-angle lenses being any different.
Not nearly so pronounced with the 12-24 or the two Sigma 10-20's I had.

QuoteQuote:
Also, maybe I got lucky, but the only problem my lens has is a very very slight BF/FF issue. A missed focus only happens in about 1 out of ever 10 shots with the lens, and is only by a very small degree that is eliminated past f/5.6. Again, I suspect this is caused by a combination of the close focusing distance and a wide range of focusing planes in a super-wide-angle image.
Probably due to field curvature of the 10-24, the Sigma 10-20's had the same issue, but the Tamron does seem better. The 12-24 seems less prone to this problem.

QuoteQuote:
Further, my copy is excruciatingly sharp with great contrast and almost no undue distortion. There is always going to be distortion going this wide. Building shots are very straight, though. It's much lower distortion than other super-wide-angle lenses I've used, for example the Tamron 11-18mm.

I'm still testing, but these are my results so far. I would easily recommend the lens.
Lens QA is always my main concern and that is why I have some reservations in recommending the 10-24, but the good examples were very good and very close to the 12-24, but I would say the 12-24 design was better balanced. This is generally in line with most reviewer and user reports of the Pentax/Tokina/Samsung 12-24 design overall, and it has been around long enough now to establish a firm reputation.

IQ quality consistency is a problem with all lens makers, none are immune. Sadly I suspect that well over 90% of purchasers would never detect a lens IQ problem and that is probably why the makers don't tighten up their QC.

In general, I have found Pentax lens IQ's to be better overall than the independent designs, but the sample variations are sometimes just as wide.