Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
What to do what to do ??????

In an effort ( a weak one at that) to battle LBA I am try'n to figure out what is gonna be my best bet for a long reacher type lens. Would a Pentax SMCP-A 400mm f/5.6 Lens off of the net be worth the 400 or so that they seem to be going for ? Or should I collect a few more bottles and pennys for the Bigma ? Or is there a better option ?
After playing around today with my old Sears lens I find I don't really mind manual focus lens too much, auto is better but since my money tree died I have to make due. Sharpeness is a factor,
I value the opinion of the " Wizards of the Pentax Forum" and any help is surely welcomed.

Last edited by Uncle_dad; 02-23-2010 at 10:26 AM.
12-19-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Depends on what you will use it for.
If you can live with mirror lenses then there are some pretty good ones that start at 500mm.
You can check out the mirror lens club.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/71775-mirror-lens-club.html
12-19-2009, 06:17 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have a manual focus A 400 5.6 Pentax lens. Had a chance to compare it to the Sigma 50-500. They are close. The Pentax does edge it out in sharpness and seemed to have slightly more contrast. The Sigma gives you 500mm and AF. The Pentax is smaller and my model doesn't report the focal length to the camera. This is a big deal. Can use a 2x converter and tell the IS that its 800mm. Works great for hand holding.

thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #25. Enter the 2nd anniversary #26 in compact camera forum. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!
12-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the M 400. It is a great lens for the money. Yes, it has CA and PF in backlit situations, but it blows the Sigma 170-400 out of town. It is sharp. It is long. It is a handful as are all super teles, but it takes very, very nice pictures. Check out TomG's woodpecker shots on page 82 of the M Club thread. That's also an M 400. The A is a bit easier to handle for exposure, but the optical formula is close, and from the shots I have seen, at least as good.

02-23-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well I saved my pennies and got the Sigma 100-300 F4 and after 2 times out with it I must say I am in love with this lens. Takes great pictures and ya get a nice work out on the hand holding it !!!! I am waiting for the 1.4 TC to get in from Adorama and plan on a busy photo-shooting year.