Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 10:42 AM   #1
Forum Member

Lens lube

Hi,

I bought a lens that was dismantled, and need to know what type of lube to use on the focus helicoid. Any tips on how to apply the lube would also be greatly appreciated.

Lens is a Tamron SP adaptall 90mm

thanks,
Kev

12-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have used several different types of lube depending on the lens. For small lenses with a short focus throw such as a 50mm normal lens I have found that general purpose automotive grease provides a satisfying smothe but firmly damped focus adjustment. For something like the tamron 90mm macro with a long focus throw you will want a less viscous grease such as silicon grease or the damping will be too stiff (you have to be carefull not to get this stuff anywhere you don't want it as it can be nearly impossible to remove it all). Alternatively if you want a lightly damped focus adjustment then I have found that thick steam engine oil workes well.
12-20-2009, 02:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lithium grease I think is the one most recommended for lens helicoil lubrication.
12-20-2009, 02:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have seen high quality bicycle grease suggested for this purpose. Those usually have fairly low viscosity and are resistant to thinning with heat or thickening with cold.

Steve