Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2009, 11:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
AF 135mm Lens?

Hi everyone,

I acquired a SMC Tak 135mm 2.5 some time ago, and I've been very happy with its performance. I'm just missing AF, so I'm looking for an equivalent AF version of this lens.

I've heard good things about the FA 135mm or F 135mm. Do you know where I can find it? I've looked far and wide and couldn't locate one, except at keh.com, which is like USD$600!!!

The DA*50-135mm is not an option, as the *ist DS doesn't support SDM, and I'd like to use the lens on a 35mm film body.

I'm from Sydney, Australia.

Thanks a lot in advance.

12-21-2009, 12:18 AM   #2
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by iht Quote
Hi everyone,

I acquired a SMC Tak 135mm 2.5 some time ago, and I've been very happy with its performance. I'm just missing AF, so I'm looking for an equivalent AF version of this lens.

I've heard good things about the FA 135mm or F 135mm. Do you know where I can find it? I've looked far and wide and couldn't locate one, except at keh.com, which is like USD$600!!!

The DA*50-135mm is not an option, as the *ist DS doesn't support SDM, and I'd like to use the lens on a 35mm film body.

I'm from Sydney, Australia.

Thanks a lot in advance.
However, not usable with film camera, DS should work with DA*50-135 as the lens has also normal focusing option for cameras without SDM support.
12-21-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
Pentaxian

You could have a look at the FA 100mm f2.8 macro.
There is a new weather resistant version.
12-21-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the difference between 100 and 135 is noticable, however the F&FA 135 are the only AF primes for PENTAX in that range. So the FA/DFA/DFA WR 100mm macro may be good option. Having said that since it's macro do not expect lightning fast AF.
Opticaly though they have great reputation. Your othe options include Sigma 105 Macro, and 70-200 zooms which are all FF.

BR
Peter

12-21-2009, 05:40 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

" " is right but the only alternative is to get lucky (here, on eBay, or at a pawn shop.) These things aren't too plentiful and those as has 'em, keeps 'em. I bit the KEH bullet and, while I'd have preferred paying less, have no regrets. It's a bit prone to fringing wide open but otherwise a very sweet lens.
12-21-2009, 06:23 PM   #6
iht
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
" " is right but the only alternative is to get lucky (here, on eBay, or at a pawn shop.)
Yeah, I guess "get lucky" means "patience". I'll just have to wait for a good deal, as USD$600 is just not an option. I'll just have to get better with MF and use my Tak, which actually is a great lens when I do nail the focus and the exposure (a bit iffy on the *ist DS).

QuoteQuote:
However, not usable with film camera, DS should work with DA*50-135 as the lens has also normal focusing option for cameras without SDM support.
Oh, I didn't realise the DA*50-135 has normal screw focussing as well. Thanks for that. Yeah, still prefer the F/FA 135mm if I can find one at more reasonable prices.
12-23-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
axl
Veteran Member

Oh, I didn't realise the DA*50-135 has normal screw focussing as well. Thanks for that. Yeah, still prefer the F/FA 135mm if I can find one at more reasonable prices.
They are worth it! I used to have DA*50-135 and ended up selling it after short while. While good zoom it's just not IT for me. I got super lucky annd got FA135 for 120GBP and even though I haven't used it a lot yet, I do already like it more than the DA*
12-23-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Keep an eye on the marketplace. At times they come for sale for a ggod price. The last one took some effort and a few comments from me on it's greatness before it even sold, which surprised me. I would not even sell mine for $600.....

12-23-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Yeah, I guess "get lucky" means "patience". I'll just have to
wait for a good deal, as USD$600 is just not an option. I'll just have to get better
with MF and use my Tak, which actually is a great lens when I do nail the focus
and the exposure (a bit iffy on the *ist DS).

Here's what the FA 135 2.8 can get you:

Oh.... But wait. Those were taken with the Super Tak 135 f/3.5!

Practice with MF a bit and enjoy your Super Tak. If/when you get the F/FA 135,
you'll have something to compare it to.

12-23-2009, 03:18 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
.Practice with MF a bit and enjoy your Super Tak. If/when you get the F/FA 135, you'll have something to compare it to.
Or compare it to this (Oh, wait--that was taken with the FA 135mm )
Attached Images

12-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Here's a shot taken with the FA 135mm f/2.8.
I actually replaced my DA* 50-135mm for it. Optically the vintage K 135mm f/2.5 may be slightly ahead of it at wider apertures but this lens definitely shines with its razor quick AF. Definitely a keeper.

From my unscientific comparisons, it definitely beats the A 135mm f/2.8 and the M 135mm f/3.5.

12-23-2009, 06:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Taken with F135/2.8. Owned it for about 6 months and have taken it for a few outings. It;s got this nifty feature, where if you press on the button that reads 'AF' on the camera, the lens does the focusing all on it's own, it's pretty cool

12-23-2009, 06:57 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Taken with F135/2.8. Owned it for about 6 months and have taken it for a few outings. It;s got this nifty feature, where if you press on the button that reads 'AF' on the camera, the lens does the focusing all on it's own, it's pretty cool
WOW ! that's an AWEmahzing feature. that's like magic !

great shots there pcarfan. although sometimes the slightly sharper and brighter MF 2.5 gives me some thoughts whether to get it or settle for the AF version. for closer shots, it would be much easier for me to manually focus. getting perfect focus on a distant subject might a lil bit of a challenge for a manual focus lens. also considering the price difference. anyone with an FA135 selling for 250?
12-24-2009, 01:02 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
WOW ! that's an AWEmahzing feature. that's like magic !

great shots there pcarfan. although sometimes the slightly sharper and brighter MF 2.5 gives me some thoughts whether to get it or settle for the AF version. for closer shots, it would be much easier for me to manually focus. getting perfect focus on a distant subject might a lil bit of a challenge for a manual focus lens. also considering the price difference. anyone with an FA135 selling for 250?
Thank you!

Well I said I am not going to let it go for $600, but I paid exactly half of that including shipping for a lens with a couple of little scratches on the body. These at times come for sale for much less than what Keh is asking for, but I think at the prices the other lenses are selling, the $600 is not a bad price.
12-24-2009, 02:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Thank you!

Well I said I am not going to let it go for $600, but I paid exactly half of that including shipping for a lens with a couple of little scratches on the body. These at times come for sale for much less than what Keh is asking for, but I think at the prices the other lenses are selling, the $600 is not a bad price.
I believe it's fair, considering the prices of the 100mm lenses. as you go longer, you tend to get more expensive.