06-15-2007, 09:39 PM   #1

CHECK THIS OUT!! 200mm to 500mm f/2.8

Google Video result for http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K77UvaiHii0

This thing is a beast! I WANT ONE!!!

06-16-2007, 02:15 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah, what a monster lens! Check out the earlier discussion we had about it here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/5720-mo-might-end-your-lba.html

BTW, that's a great video! Thanks for sharing!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-16-2007, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pro wildlife photographer Andy Biggs had some thoughts on it, on his website :

"On another note, I strolled by the Sigma booth to check out their announced 200-500mm f/2.8 lens. What a huge beast. I mean, there is absolutely no way that this lens would be usable for a nature photographer. It is obviously intended to be little more than a marketing gimmick. Well, it worked. One of the booth hosts mentioned that it weighs 14 kilos, or roughly 30 pounds. Contrast that with the Canon 500mm f/4 at 8.5 pounds. Completely silly. I think Sigma would have captured a nice audience if they had made the lens an f/4 design."

The Global Photographer PMA ramblings
06-16-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems to me they could have used the money they wasted developing a lens that NOBODY will buy, and invest it in lenses that people will actually use

06-16-2007, 10:41 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Yeh... the number of stands it is on in that vid really emphasises how impractical it is. I would rather they had spent the money they used to develop that giving me a really really nice FREE extra wide angle lens. lol.

The first time the video panned around the lens when I was watching it I was like.."oh nice lens...where's the camera?... oh crap... that's a damn small camera...[people come into view]...geeeese look at the size of that f'#[ing lens!!!!" hahaha