Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Which is better (image & construction) - FA or F - if the mm and -stop are the same?
FA is better. 1076.92%
F is better. 323.08%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 02:12 AM   #1

FA vs. F? What's the difference?

What is the image quality and construction, etc. differences between the FA and the F?

They seem so close, but I can't tell or find any tech info. Is one more plastic? Is one made better? Does one have better images?

Is one generally better than the other if the mm and -stop are the same?

12-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think F is discontinued with the FA replacing it. Some say there are some F lenses out there that are better than it's FA counterpart. But both F and FA counterparts should be optically the same with different build looks. I think the FA has some changes in it's electronic parts which has somehow improved it in a way.
12-22-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This site:

Welcome to Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax K-Mount Page

contains pretty much all the information you'd want to know on pretty much all Pentax K-mount lenses. By checking the optical foruma of any given lenses, iIt will give you a pretty good idea which are optically the same and which are different. As with most things in life, I'd guess that in the cases where there is any optical difference at all, you'll get opinions all over the map on which is better. Some lenses might generate more agreement than others, but it could easily go both ways - eg, the 39/2.3 is better in the F version than the FA version, but the 25/6.4 is better n the FA version (obviously, I made those up). The FA lenses do indeed have a chip that transmits additional info to the camera above and beyond the aperture info and whatever else the F lenses might transmit.
12-23-2009, 08:37 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I think F is discontinued with the FA replacing it. Some say there are some F lenses out there that are better than it's FA counterpart. But both F and FA counterparts should be optically the same with different build looks. I think the FA has some changes in it's electronic parts which has somehow improved it in a way.
not all Fs share the optics with FAs. An exanple is 28. F is the same as A optiicaly but FA is new dsign...
Have a look on the page Marc posted link to. You'll see which are different and which are not.

BR
Peter