Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery
are you planning on shooting critters, flowers or stills?

12-22-2009, 09:46 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Lester

Actually, I've barely been able to use it yet (thing called winter.)

For those who don't know, it's the same lens as the Vivitar/Kiron Series-1 105 2.5 macro.

AF - I'd vote for the Sigma 70 2.8.

12-22-2009, 11:28 PM   #33
Forum Member

how about A* 200mm F4 Macro?
regardless of the aperture, I guess this is the BEST macro lens Pentax have ever made!
12-23-2009, 01:22 AM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by miks Quote
are you planning on shooting critters, flowers or stills?
Critters, flowers, insects, small objects.... and also people... doesn't have to be a great stand-alone portrait lens, but a at least a good one... #1 should be macro quality, #2 should be ability to use it in the big world for people and places and events.

12-23-2009, 04:03 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
Can you post samples?
I have Bokina too. here there are samples Vivitar Series 1 90mm 1:2.5 VMC Macro Photo Gallery by Piotr Sobolewski at pbase.com. Mainly flowers and some portraits.

I have for some time Vivitar S1 90 and Voigtlander 90. Voigtlander is great small lens but for my needs - means portraits with bokeh and flowers plus macro I decided to stay with Vivitar even if it is quite bulky and fully manual (Voigtlander has A position).
12-23-2009, 09:14 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Я много лет использую MF объектив Lester A.Dinе 105mm 1:1. Картинку на открытой диафрагме можно посмотреть тут: https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/photo-13635.html

Last edited by Damn Brit; 12-24-2009 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Corrected language tags
12-23-2009, 09:20 AM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by travera Quote
how about A* 200mm F4 Macro?
regardless of the aperture, I guess this is the BEST macro lens Pentax have ever made!
Quite possibly... if you can find one!!!!

12-23-2009, 10:39 AM   #38

Votes for the a*200 or the voigtlander 125.
12-23-2009, 11:27 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I vote the Sigma EX 105mm 2.8 for around 325.00 used.
12-23-2009, 10:34 PM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
... <SNIP> ...
It seems to me the "Focus Limiter" switch on the Tamron would be more useful in an AF macro lens that is going to double as a portrait lens. Sense you dont want the lens cycling thru the entire range every time your re compose a portrait shot.

Am I off base with this thinking?

Is 'quick shift' more important than 'focus limiting' on an Auto Focus Macro lens?
Not to me. The focus limiter would be far more important when using the lens at non macro distances. At macro distances AF is useless. Catch-in-focus works, but not AF. When I am going for a macro shot, I am looking for a specific magnification. AF will change the magnification. I have not seen a compelling reason for me to change from my M 100/4. I would like f/2.8, but only for the viewfinder. The macro lens is generally used at f/8 and up because of the thin depth of field.
12-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you've never owned a "real" macro, all will blow you away!
I've owned FA100/2.8, great lens for cheap.
Owned A*200/4 sold to a forum member, stunning and available used for about $2000, yes that is a correct figure. Many published photos shot through this lens. If you can find one buy it now! Not AF but to me that's irrelevant and unused EVER.
Currently own an FA*200/4 which is widely considered a market topping product (lots of specialized elements...ED, High refraction, etc). Current used pricing runs around $4000 if you can find one. I wouldn't sell mine for less than $5000 and even then I'd hesitate. With proper technique, publication quality is very assured. Many sold photos...never tried AF with it...
Currently own 100/4 for Pentax 67. Actually better for standard perspective situations than the FA*200. Never used it on digi though I have the adapter. 30"x40" chrome prints are so good folks accuse my printer of lying when he tells them it's "only" medium format not large format image. Not AF but that's not pertinent to me.
Again, buy any of the lenses mentioned in this thread and you'll be thrilled! If your comment about price being irrelevant is actual, then offer me $6000 for my FA*200 and we'll talk. The lens would of course come with free lessons and photoshoot for a couple days. Preferably you fly to me--I have some great locations in several Western states, but I could possibly fly to your location as well (your nickel as price is irrelevant right?)
Have fun as a new macro lens will change your shooting priorities significantly for the first year or two...
12-24-2009, 01:01 AM   #42
Veteran Member

+1 for the Kiron/Vivitar/Lester A Dine 105mm for IQ and build quality.

I would argue that all true macro lenses are essentially the same stepped down beyond f/8. Somebody said that nobody ever made a bad true macro lens... you won't go far wrong believing that.
12-24-2009, 02:24 PM   #43

I'm with LeDave when he comments that some of you Pentaxians have a lot more money than we do.
I just looked up the "lens of choice" - Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 SL Macro. There are TWO on eBay today - $1,600 US or more!
I guess I'll settle for just a little less sharp until my lottery ticket comes in.
12-24-2009, 02:50 PM   #44
Veteran Member

It's not just about having money... I have $1,600 to spend if I so choose. That lens will not make you a better photographer though; in fact, the good glass may disguise your inadequacies. So, I choose to limit myself to bargain basement.

So, I'm capped to basic equipment. An M series lens may not autofocus, or even autometer that well.... but it's more than capible of producing that perfect image if you work for it.

If you look hard enough, you can get a 50mm lens for $5 and you can make yourself extention tubes out of a pringles container. Stop down that lens enough any it may look close to a true 1:1 macro for virtually no expence.

I'll respect you way more for it!

Still, photography is the ultimate hobby of comprimises. If you want a light, cheap, sharp & fast, infinity-to-macro focussing lens be prepared to pay through the nose for that .
12-24-2009, 03:06 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rae2 Quote
I'm with LeDave when he comments that some of you Pentaxians have a lot more money than we do.
I just looked up the "lens of choice" - Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 SL Macro. There are TWO on eBay today - $1,600 US or more!
this is not always the case. I bought my VLS 125 two years ago for 500$ from cameraquest. I did this because I read info that this is the last batch of production.