Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
in the nikon kit I my mother used to use there was a "soft filter"

It is a piece of optical glass with a 15mm hole in the middle that you smear with vasoline to make the outside blurry.

I'll bet it was a lot cheaper than a soft focus 85mm

12-24-2009, 08:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

It is a piece of optical glass with a 15mm hole in the middle that you smear with vasoline to make the outside blurry.

It was.
My favourite soft filter is a piece of nylon stocking material stretched over a filter ring with some holes burned in with a lit cigarette.

And cheaper still.

But not a soft focus lens, either.
12-24-2009, 11:55 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

Cheaper yes, but using a filter smeared with grease instead of a proper soft focus lens is like using a $50 plastic toy telescope to capture wildlife: with a lot of perseverance and on a bright day, one might be able to get a few acceptable pictures out of the plastic lens, but there is no doubt that the pictures would have been much better while requiring less effort by using a real telephoto lens in the first place!

Cheers!

Abbazz
12-25-2009, 12:51 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
true we can use some cheap alternatives. the question is are we willing enough to use these in public? I'm pretty sure that majority of people will prefer something that doesn't look ridiculous enough as opposed to using a cheap alternative. such things can be true also with diffusers, DIY macro ring flash, etc....etc....

soft filters are ok, but I don't believe it can really replicate exactly the same image that a real soft lens produces.

12-25-2009, 01:34 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On a related aside, you can achieve a soft focus effect by removing select element groups in certain lenses. I've never performed the surgery to anything myself, though.
12-25-2009, 01:49 AM   #21
Veteran Member

You know, if you cared more about what people thought of your equipment then the end result, you probably wouldn't be using a Pentax :P

To hell with them, I say! Vaseline your filters
12-25-2009, 01:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
On a related aside, you can achieve a soft focus effect by removing select element groups in certain lenses. I've never performed the surgery to anything myself, though.
or just use the soft filter effect camera feature.
12-25-2009, 02:01 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
or just use the soft filter effect camera feature.
As outlined in this thread, there is a significant difference in the image result between something with a physical difference in the lens, and a digital filter.

12-25-2009, 05:13 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
As outlined in this thread, there is a significant difference in the image result between something with a physical difference in the lens, and a digital filter.
exactly.

The only filters, that approach a lens-based soft effect are the Zeiss Softar filters (also sold by B+W and Heliopan directly). They work with small lenses etched and polished into the filter glass, so giving a result quite comparable to a soft focus lens. But their prices also approach that of a secondhand soft focus lens, if you can get them at all.

Ben
12-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ben_Edict Quote
exactly.

The only filters, that approach a lens-based soft effect are the Zeiss Softar filters (also sold by B+W and Heliopan directly). They work with small lenses etched and polished into the filter glass, so giving a result quite comparable to a soft focus lens. But their prices also approach that of a secondhand soft focus lens, if you can get them at all.

Ben
I have a set of Tiffen Soft F/X filters that are similar to Softars, although they are nowhere near as good. The Softars work by imposing a second, slightly out of focus image onto the in focus image, IIRC.
This can be emulated to a degree by applying Gaussian blur to a layer and then reducing the opacity of the layer to an acceptable level.
12-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I have a set of Tiffen Soft F/X filters that are similar to Softars, although they are nowhere near as good. The Softars work by imposing a second, slightly out of focus image onto the in focus image, IIRC.
This can be emulated to a degree by applying Gaussian blur to a layer and then reducing the opacity of the layer to an acceptable level.
that sounds quite a bit of work. for someone who spends a lot of his time in front of the pc, pp work would work just fine.
12-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
that sounds quite a bit of work. for someone who spends a lot of his time in front of the pc, pp work would work just fine.
Which sounds like quite a bit of work?
Screwing on a filter or blurring an adjusting the opacity of a layer?
12-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #28
Veteran Member

reducing "clarity" in lightroom would appear to do the very same thing.

anyone has a good example of a proper soft focus pic to post? sorry ryan but yours is a macro so doesn't count

searching flickr for "soft focus" is useless only turns up crap
12-25-2009, 04:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kristoffon Quote
reducing "clarity" in lightroom would appear to do the very same thing.

anyone has a good example of a proper soft focus pic to post? sorry ryan but yours is a macro so doesn't count

searching flickr for "soft focus" is useless only turns up crap
Search for David Hamilton on the web and you find nothing but soft focus images…

Ben
12-25-2009, 05:41 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Which sounds like quite a bit of work?
Screwing on a filter or blurring an adjusting the opacity of a layer?
post-process, since having a soft filter nor soft lens wouldn't require you to do post-processing just to achieve that same and similar effect. when I said same, that would mean completely identical.

if the price of a great soft filter isn't that far off from a soft lens, IMO, it would be better to just buy the soft lens. unless you prefer using that nice filter with several lenses of different focal lengths, which is a great idea as well.