Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 11:53 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
That's a strange one Darren. I shot a few quick shots with the K7 and that lens before posting it for sale... it was spot on. I'm glad to hear the lens is working for you. Have you used it for any college news/events/sports yet? If so, post a few pics.
I read somewhere that every lens and body is 'off' by a certain amount in a certain direction. If they both cancel out then there won't be a problem, but if they reinforce each other then there will be a significant error. I guess that might be the case here, but not an issue with the K20D's AF adjustment feature.

I bought the lens from you right at the end of my fall quarter, I'm on my winter break now so no college events till January. However, the lens has been seeing plenty of action since I decided to take it with me on my vacation around the west coast.

The weight hasn't posed a problem for me but the length makes it a hassle to change lenses since it doesn't fit in my bag with the hood mounted. I've ordered a lens case that hopefully swallows the whole thing up. Since you asked, I'll share some of my favorite shots from the holiday so far!

Testing the continuous AF of the lens at the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco. Focus was a little off, but I'm not sure if it was the AF-C or the focus adjustment that caused it, because I was still trying to get the right amount then. I still like this BIF photo though.

This was taken from a moving bus through a dirty window. Acceptable results for the situation.

The sheer size of the lens makes people, such as these ladies, mistake me for a "pro photographer"

Last edited by darrenleow; 12-27-2009 at 12:23 PM.
12-27-2009, 12:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Nice work Darren .... had a look at your Zenfolio site ... are those drift shots taken with the Tammy as well??? They came out pretty damn nice.
12-27-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mechan1k Quote
Nice work Darren .... had a look at your Zenfolio site ... are those drift shots taken with the Tammy as well??? They came out pretty damn nice.
Thanks Mechan1k! Those were taken in July 09 with the Tamron 70-300, I stopped the lens down to about f/16 to get a slow shutter speed for the panning shots so there probably won't be much difference between lenses. I'd like to try it again with the 70-200 and see how it compares.

I must have shot over 2000 frames over the course of the two days so there are bound to be a few usable photos in there!
12-27-2009, 12:44 PM   #19
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well done with those Darren.
Quite exemplary results from the 70-200 there.

12-27-2009, 12:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

One example of biting sharpness and smooth bokeh from the 70-200. I think it's unbelievable as well!

12-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #21
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
One example of biting sharpness and smooth bokeh from the 70-200. I think it's unbelievable as well!

Indeed, great shot in anyone's books.
12-27-2009, 04:45 PM   #22
krs
Site Supporter

I bought this lens used on this forum, and ended up having to send it back to Tamron due to a sticky aperture problem.

It seems to be working fine now (after the $225 repair)...
12-27-2009, 08:01 PM   #23
Pentaxian

Nice work Darren, some great shots. I really enjoyed the lens and will most likely end up with another in the future. Enjoy your trip.

12-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #24

It seems that this sort of repair should have been covered under warranty. What happened?

QuoteOriginally posted by krs Quote
I bought this lens used on this forum, and ended up having to send it back to Tamron due to a sticky aperture problem.

It seems to be working fine now (after the $225 repair)...
12-27-2009, 10:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
It seems that this sort of repair should have been covered under warranty. What happened?
Most companies consider warranties to apply only to the original purchaser .
12-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxman Quote
Why did Tamron charge you for the repair? Couldn't you claim that you are the original owner?
12-27-2009, 10:33 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Love this lens BTW - Got a copy for my Canon now. Here's a sample shot of some kid (he's my wife's niece's son... some sort of cousin maybe? - some kid anyway )...

70mm, f/4, more exif
12-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #28
krs
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by darrenleow Quote
Why did Tamron charge you for the repair? Couldn't you claim that you are the original owner?
I was not the original owner - did not have the purchase receipt, etc...