Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

M42 Super Takumar 135/3.5 version 1 vs. version 2

Can anyone with experience using both versions of this lens give me their opinions on the IQ difference between them?

12-23-2009, 04:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
.......... Nobody?
12-23-2009, 08:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello raymeedc! Thanks for your post; I may just have both versions. Tomorrow I can take a look, as for some reason silly me I thought today was xmas eve and spent the day gift wrapping, so for the first time in many years I'm ready a day early!

I would think the second version has better coatings, possibly even S-M-C, which give better contrast & color rendition, by reducing flare & ghosting.
12-23-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
I may just have both versions. Tomorrow I can take a look,
I would think the second version has better coatings, possibly even S-M-C, which give better contrast & color rendition, by reducing flare & ghosting.
The second version of the Super Takumar was manufactured between 1966 & 1971, when it was replaced by the Super-Multi-Coated version. The first version of the Super Takumar (1962-1966) had 5 elements (as did the earlier auto-Takumar & Pre-set Takumar), which was reduced to 4 elements in the second Super version. It seems that it may have been done as a cost saving measure. I was wondering what the real world IQ difference was between the two Super versions.

Last edited by raymeedc; 12-23-2009 at 09:29 PM.
12-24-2009, 11:49 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
The second version of the Super Takumar was manufactured between 1966 & 1971, when it was replaced by the Super-Multi-Coated version. The first version of the Super Takumar (1962-1966) had 5 elements (as did the earlier auto-Takumar & Pre-set Takumar), which was reduced to 4 elements in the second Super version. It seems that it may have been done as a cost saving measure. I was wondering what the real world IQ difference was between the two Super versions.
I do indeed have both versions!

The first version serial number begins with 1 and the auto-manual switch positions are labelled "A" and "M"; the original case has the AOC logo instead of FL and max aperture. The second serial number begins with a 2, and the A/M switch positions are labelled "Auto" and "Man".

As I suspected the coatings are obviously better on the second version, but the first ver has some imaging qualities I want to explore further when I have more time; except for the coatings I think I like the first version IQ better. I'm not going to post these quick test images; I'll wait until I have some more definitive of differences (but please don't hold your breath!)