Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is there something wrong with my DA 35mm?

I recently put up an old, really good SMC M 35 f2.8 on the marketplace, as I've just gotten a DA 35 macro and I don't need all these 35 mm lenses.

During the selling process, a buyer asked me how the M lens stacks up against modern glass. So to help, I shot identical images using each lens.

Camera is a K20D in M mode. F 5.6 1/180 sec. Image stabilization is off. Both are taken on a tripod.

Manual focus was taken at the back of the stopsign.

I hope the crops below will show you what I saw looking at the in-camera jpegs at 100 percent.... the old M 35 is quite sharp and contrasty, while the DA looks soft and washed out. Again, this is at f5.6.

Question: do I have a bad copy of the DA 35? Should I expect more from this lens? Is there something I am missing?

For reference, the shot with the man and dog is the SMC M 35 the one below it with no one in frame is my new DA 35 macro.

Thanks in advance for your opinions. I'm thinking I might exchange for another copy.

germar

Attached Images

12-22-2009, 01:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It possible that your DA35 requires micro-focus adjustment. It's hard to tell in this shot, because there is nothing really close in front or behind the sign (which I assume is where your were focusing).

BTW, why are both crops different in size/format ?
12-22-2009, 02:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Frankly it looks like the DA 35 is not focused properly. I can't imagine a DA Ltd lens being so out of focus. Did you try multiple focusing attempts, including AF?
12-22-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Also hard to tell w/ the way the forum blurs photo attachments.

12-22-2009, 03:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies so far.

The crops are different sizes since I am not very good with photo editing programs. I'm sure there's a science to getting them to match, but I am afraid I'm not learned enough to make them dead on match. The lack of sharpness is evident in the DA image.

Yes, I agree it looks a great deal like a focus issue, and I was able to repeat the shots.... the only thing I didn't do is dismount and remount the camera, and I will do that next. But believe it or not, I DID get focus confirmation beeps when manual focusing and attempts to auto focus came out even worse.

Agreed regarding forum blurring images. I will make originals available from smugmug if others join the thread. I will remount the lens once more, though I really don't expect improvement.

Much thanks for all feedback.

germar
12-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Inactive Account

try focus trap

QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
Frankly it looks like the DA 35 is not focused properly. I can't imagine a DA Ltd lens being so out of focus. Did you try multiple focusing attempts, including AF?
agreed, the DA35 shot just looks wrongly focussed to me.

one idea to compare : try focus trap with the manual lens and catch in focus on centre point for the DA lens and compare results, then at least you should remove one variable - your MF ability (assuming the catch in focus triggers the same way focus trap doe for the MF lens), you'll need to turn the focussing ring slowly and have it tripod mounted, SR off.
12-22-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

when the DA35 first came out there were some random remarks about some samples where sharpness at longer distances was quite poor due to some defective construction

12-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
when the DA35 first came out there were some random remarks about some samples where sharpness at longer distances was quite poor due to some defective construction
Thanks for this, K100D. Interesting comment. I tried remounting the lens and shooting the same target at different apertures, and then going to autofocus. The softness issue continues without change, and the problem seems worse when using autofocus.

It seems the advice here is that such softness is NOT what I should expect, so I am shipping the lens back for an exchange. I hope the next copy lives up to the DA 35 limited's reputation.

Much thanks, everyone.

Last edited by germar; 12-23-2009 at 11:51 AM. Reason: fixed typo
11-12-2010, 11:45 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
gemar, I know you said that the SR is off in both shots, but that second shot looks EXACTLY like what I get when I forget to turn the SR off on a tripod mounted shot. Its curious, that's all. Did you try the shot, or similar, with the 2 second mirror lock up engaged? That would eliminate a faulty SR toggle switch.

NaCl(a long shot I know)H2O
11-12-2010, 01:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Necropostin' again, Salty?
11-12-2010, 02:54 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Necropostin' again, Salty?

kick

Hysterical
11-12-2010, 03:02 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Damn, and I was reading the whole damn thing too!

Uh, hope the second copy was better!