Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2009, 08:18 PM   #1

Rules/Guidelines when pricing used lenses?

(NOTE: I'm not planning to post these items on the marketplace on this forum since I live in Asia and most of you folks live in America/Europe. It's going to be very difficult to make transactions. So I will just be selling these locally. I really just need advice on how to price the lenses.)

I'm planning to sell my 20-month old Sigma 10-20 and 3-year old "pancake" Pentax 40/2.8... I've never sold camera gear before and I was wondering if there are any rules-of-thumb when pricing used lenses.

I got the Sigma 10-20 for ~$450. I got the Pentax 40/2.8 for ~$280.

Both lenses are still in good condition (maybe an 8/10) although the boxes are gone and there are no warranties.

If I let the Sigma go for $365 and the pancake for $230... would that be reasonable prices? Or a bit on the high/low side considering what you guys know about them? How would you price them considering their age and condition?

The Sigma includes a Hoya UV filter, btw.

12-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would say take off 10% for being used, and then 5% for each 5% less than perfect the lens is. Like if your used 10-20mm is in 90% the same-as-new condition, you would price it at 80% what you paid for it (or, really, 80% what it's worth at the time you sell it -- which is usually the same). So it would be priced at $360 plus shipping. The 40/2.8 actually sells for about $350 now, so I would say $350 - 10% - 8/10 (i.e, 20%) = $245 plus shipping.

These are very close to your guessed prices, which is great! So yes, I would agree with them. They sound correct to me.
12-22-2009, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
All the info on researching prices you want will be found here

I would suggest you look at listing the lenses here as well because there are a LOT of members in Asia around here. Plus the more locations you put them for sale the better your chances will be to get a fair price sooner.

BTW, pricing is going to be weird if you ask people not in Asia to help you figure out a price. How would someone in the US know what lenses are selling for in your local area?
12-22-2009, 08:38 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wallyb Quote
I would say take off 10% for being used, and then 5% for each 5% less than perfect the lens is. Like if your used 10-20mm is in 90% the same-as-new condition, you would price it at 80% what you paid for it (or, really, 80% what it's worth at the time you sell it -- which is usually the same). So it would be priced at $360 plus shipping. The 40/2.8 actually sells for about $350 now, so I would say $350 - 10% - 8/10 (i.e, 20%) = $245 plus shipping.

These are very close to your guessed prices, which is great! So yes, I would agree with them. They sound correct to me.
Excellent! That's more or less what I was hoping for: An interesting and helpful guide/system for pricing used lenses. Thanks wallyb!