Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I am confused... the Zeiss is AF? I thought it was MF.

With mf why does one adjust an AF adjustment function?

If it is AF, my apologies... I have been pretty jerky of late

Hi Gus,

I haven't done it, but it could conceivably be helpful for calibrate a MF lens so you could use the AF focus lock indicator as a focusing aid. An example of this when this might be helpful is when using an MF lens in low light conditions where an accessory light would not be appropriate. I can sometimes get a lock when there's no way I could focus even close to accurately manually.

I probably use and have to trust the AF system and the focus lock indicator more than a lot of users because my visual acuity varies considerably during the course of an average day, so I didn't see this as an unusual implementation.

Scott

12-28-2009, 12:34 PM   #17
Igilligan

I guess that does make some sense. Having to rely on focus confirmation, especially in difficult situations, It could be that it would need to be adjusted.

So you would set up the same test as you would with AF adjust. Only you would be mf'ing until you hit the green hex -- then looking for BF/FF issues?

Then the only way to adjust is with the "Apply all"? Now that is where I get confused. If we have presets for other lenses, once we focus using "Apply all" does that screw up the other settings?

And even if it does not, it only would allow for one MF lens to be adjusted as a preset. Am I right?
12-28-2009, 03:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
I guess that does make some sense. Having to rely on focus confirmation, especially in difficult situations, It could be that it would need to be adjusted.

So you would set up the same test as you would with AF adjust. Only you would be mf'ing until you hit the green hex -- then looking for BF/FF issues?

Then the only way to adjust is with the "Apply all"? Now that is where I get confused. If we have presets for other lenses, once we focus using "Apply all" does that screw up the other settings?

And even if it does not, it only would allow for one MF lens to be adjusted as a preset. Am I right?
I am getting confused as well.
For Pentax-only lenses, this AF adjustment gives each its own settings; so, for example, a DA*16-50 would have to be adjusted to +2 ... a DA*300 would need -4, and so on.
But then, once we install a non-Pentax lens, the only available setting becomes "Apply All", and I agree that this looks like it is giving one setting to all non-Pentax lenses. That would certainly mess up if you had, again for example, a Sigma and a Tamron needing their own AF adjustments, right?
I am hoping there is a way around it or maybe the vamera will recognize each non-Pentax lens separately within this "Apply All" setting.

Item no. 2: So, if I understand the previous post, a MF lens, such as my Zeiss 85/1.4, could maybe be adjusted as long as it relates to the focus confirmation?
What if tested it (focus accuracy) using ordinary objects first, then try the catch-in-focus option. It should then "snap" in (take the pic) immediately upon receiving focus confirmation. I am assuming this would work, but I am still unsure whether the lens adjustment itself will stay in the camera's memory.

Anyway, this is becoming very confusing and I am better go and try a few things before my brains spill.

Back here soon.

JP
12-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Looks like you guys are making more of this than it deserves. Only one of the 20 memory slots is available for unidentifiable lenses. Any unidentified lens, when attached would use this setting, whether you calibrated the AF point with it or not, so you'd have to remain aware of any settings that you applied to this slot, and the lens that you set it for. If you calibrated numerous lenses, you'd have to remember the setting for each, then reset the focus point for that lens whenever you used it. The "All" only means that the camera body will use this setting for all lenses that share this ID of unidentifiable, not that the setting will apply to "all" lenses attached.

Each of the AF lenses that you have calibrated will be identified by its (hopefully unique) model name from its internal chip, and will use the setting you saved for it. If you have not saved a setting for an identifiable lens, no focus offset will be saved for it, and none will be applied.

Scott

12-28-2009, 06:12 PM   #20
Igilligan

That is so different than folks were talking about when the K20 first came out.

There were people who had Pentax lenses that could not be fully adjusted with the +/_ 10 adjustments. (me) There was talk about using the "all" setting then adding the two together...

I always that that was bogus! Nice to know the 'all' setting does not affect the Lens ID'd settings
12-28-2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Looks like you guys are making more of this than it deserves. Only one of the 20 memory slots is available for unidentifiable lenses. Any unidentified lens, when attached would use this setting, whether you calibrated the AF point with it or not, so you'd have to remain aware of any settings that you applied to this slot, and the lens that you set it for. If you calibrated numerous lenses, you'd have to remember the setting for each, then reset the focus point for that lens whenever you used it. The "All" only means that the camera body will use this setting for all lenses that share this ID of unidentifiable, not that the setting will apply to "all" lenses attached.

Each of the AF lenses that you have calibrated will be identified by its (hopefully unique) model name from its internal chip, and will use the setting you saved for it. If you have not saved a setting for an identifiable lens, no focus offset will be saved for it, and none will be applied.

Scott
Sure I am making a big fuss out of this because I had no idea about how it really worked.
So, if I have, let's say, 8 Pentax lenses; they will be identified and when I save each setting for each single lens, that should take care of it.
Then, I add a Tamron ... AF adjust it/save it, and this one setting (out of the possible 20) will be "remembered" by the camera.
If I add another lens, a Sigma, I have to repeat the whole process because the camera "allows" for only one (out of 20) non-Pentax lens, right?

But, that sucks because I have now to remember each of the non-Pentax lenses settings each time I use it.

Tell me if I have this straight and, if not, I am not coming back here for fear of being outlawed by the computer/Hi-Tech-capable community ...

JP