Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 03:59 PM   #1

SMC Pentax K 28mm F3.5 Shift

Hi there!

I have just bought a SMC Pentax K 28mm F3.5 Shift though I do not usually do architectural photography (the price was about $ 100 USD, something that I just find irresistible).

Besides its rarity, does any one knows the value of the optics?

Any comment will be appreciated.

All best,

Alfiebcn

12-23-2009, 04:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a very fine lens, even on digital. Perspective correction in post-processing, though widely advocated, is no replacement for correction of the image itself, if you want to preserve the full detail and the full angle of view. Though 28mm seems a bit long on APS-C in fact it is quite useable in most situations. That is at least my own experience with that lens, be it inside buildings or outside.

For 100USD that's a steal. You'll often find iot for 500USD - 700USD depending on condition and the seller's patience to close a sale.

The one issue, this lens really has is, that its optical performnce breaks down to the degree of complete unuseabilty if used for perspective correction at short distances (aka studio, product shots etc.). Then colour finging is severe, but that doesn't matter as the image will be completely washed out and out of focus apart from the immediate center...

Ben
12-23-2009, 07:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Location: Living in Vancouver, BC, born in Melbourne Australia
I'm jealous.

I've been lusting after one of these for about 10 years.

Enjoy and if you decide you don't have a use for it in the futuer, please drop me a line.

Happy Christmas.
12-23-2009, 10:23 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I used to have one when I lived in Chicago and was using film exclusively. Nothing like it for architectural shots. A splendid lens all around. No vignetting, ever, because of the huge image circle. Very flat field. When I came back home, it went off for lenses that are more useful here. When straightening trees, the minor errors induced in software corrections are not noticeable. The one I bought was US$900 - 1/2 MSRP - as the Pentax rep's sample lens.

12-25-2009, 01:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Great lens and you got it at an amazing price. I paid almost 900USD for mine!!!

You will have fun playing with this lens, especially if you are a film user.

Enjoy,
Phil.
12-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for sharing your ideas. I was lucky to get this lens. I saw a buch of other lenses, just as new, that I might buy next time.

I will experiment with the lens and let you know.

Best wishes,

Alfiebcn
12-26-2009, 01:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Although its easy enough to correct perspective effects in post processing with digital images, its more satisfying to do it properly with a shift lens. I have a converted Olympus Zuiko 35mm shift and your 28mm should have a more pronounced effect as perspective distortion is more obvious with shorter focal lengths. I haven't acheived anything special with mine yet but it is a lot of fun.
I have found that a divided focus screen (I am using a LL80) is very usefull with a shift lens to help judge when you have applied the right amount of shift movement. A hot shoe mounted spirit level could be equally usefull.

Last edited by MattGunn; 12-26-2009 at 01:07 PM.
12-26-2009, 01:13 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fixing in post processing does lose some pixels compared to doing it with the lens because the results have to be cropped out of the original image.

12-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Fixing in post processing does lose some pixels compared to doing it with the lens because the results have to be cropped out of the original image.
Although with 14 million available I'm sure I could spare a few. However I appreciate what you are saying which is why I have converted a shift lens and a tilt / shift monorail camera so far. I also find it more fun / satisfying correcting images optically rather than fudging them in post processing.
12-26-2009, 01:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MattGunn Quote
Although with 14 million available I'm sure I could spare a few. However I appreciate what you are saying which is why I have converted a shift lens and a tilt / shift monorail camera so far. I also find it more fun / satisfying correcting images optically rather than fudging them in post processing.
The problem is not only the pixel count. But when you crop to a rectangulatr format, you loose a lot of the angle of view. Thus a mere 28mm shift lens, will in the end provide the same angle of view as a pp'd 18mm wide angle. Also the perspective correction not only looses pixels, it needs interpolation, which is no good idea, when dealing with fine detail (for example, images inside a church).

Oh, yes - and an shift lens is really fun to use.

Ben