Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

tamron 17-50 f2.8 or sigma 18-50 f2.8 macro???

i was thinking of the tamron at first that extra 1mm might make a little bit of difference otherwise they both seem to get pretty good reviews

both around the same price but the tammy i have heard that build quality isn't brilliant so the sigma might be better there as there ex range is pretty solid built

anyone tried both and have an opinion?

12-23-2009, 06:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
photozone review puts the tamron higher in terms of IQ, especially wide open, but im sure either would suit most ppls needs!
12-23-2009, 07:15 PM   #3

Original Poster
hmmm the build quality and closer focusing of the sigma is kinda making me lean this way since from what i've read they are both sharp - the tamron might be abit sharper but question is how much difference in iq is there? - heard of things coming lose on the tamron and that worries me
12-24-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had this same choice to make and I went with the Sigma. Haven't worked with it much yet, but it's built like a tank. Depending on whos review you reading the nod can go either way. For instance, in the 3rd party lens database here the Sigma gets a slightly higher rating.
Didn't need any focus adjust with the K7. It was spot-on.
WD

12-24-2009, 06:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
yeah think i'm gonna go with the sigma - the image quality from the tamron might be slightly better but i really dont want a lens falling apart on me

and the closer focusing well just makes it a little more versatile - more so than 1mm extra on the wide end
12-25-2009, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I was really looking into these two.

Am sure a great deal of good advice will follow.

My own thoughts seemed to centre on the Tamron being more highly praised, but having worse low light focusing ability. The Sigma was better built but was like taking images through a layer of piss (!).

I only looked at them after someone said that the Pentax 2.8 zoom was a manual lens with a one year bonus of AF!

My conclusion was to ignore the lot and get an FA31.

Happy happy.
12-25-2009, 01:17 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I'm very happy with my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 don't have any problems with the AF. Even though I just ordered a Sigma 10-20 f4_5.6 yesterday.
12-25-2009, 09:05 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
I was really looking into these two.

Am sure a great deal of good advice will follow.

My own thoughts seemed to centre on the Tamron being more highly praised, but having worse low light focusing ability. The Sigma was better built but was like taking images through a layer of piss (!).

I only looked at them after someone said that the Pentax 2.8 zoom was a manual lens with a one year bonus of AF!

My conclusion was to ignore the lot and get an FA31.

Happy happy.
hope the layer of piss was of optical quality as i just ordered one =( - nah the reviews both here and on amazon seemed pretty good the photozone review likewise was good though did say the tamron was better iq but as i said i'm willing to trade off a little iq for something that will last

as for the FA31 - well looking at a kit len replacement here - would have loved the DA* 16-50mm - but its to pricy and i dont like the sdm issues it seems to have, so it was out and well i have some primes - but i want something abit more flexible anyway - so the tammy and sigma were really the only 2 contenders

next up is a extreme wide angle zoom or for this perhaps prime for this - will have to give it some thought as not done any research into this area yet

12-25-2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I too struggled with the decision for my walk-around lens. I considered the Tamron 17-50, the sigma 18-50, the Pentax 16-45 and the Pentax 16-50.

After many months of reading published articles, owner reviews, and viewing pictures, I bought the Tamron. I am very happy I did--my first copy was excellent, with no adjustments needed on the K20d. I was attracted to:

6 year warranty
amazing sharpness
performance wide open
close-focus ability (very good)
excellent distortion specs

I find the build quality more than adequate. But I have no doubts the other lenses here are very capable indeed.
12-25-2009, 09:34 PM   #10
Pentaxian

The FA 31 is a superb lens with nothing like it, but the price is way blown to hell. As for the Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 wobbling front-end issue, it can be easily fixed by doing it yourself.

I'm also pretty sure Unsinkable II was just exaggerating the Sigma, I'm sure it's not too far behind the 17-50. Both overall are great lenses I'm sure and are optically similar. Sigma lenses does tend to have the better build quality when in comparison with Tamron, but overall I have the 28-75 f/2.8 from Tamron and some say it's worse off than the 17-50, but my 28-75 is actually sufficient enough for me and is not nearly as bad as what some say it to be.