Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-23-2009, 08:27 PM   #1

Best Pentax lens for photographing food?

My wife has recently gotten interested in taking photographs of food for when she reviews restaurants on Yelp.com, and I'm wondering what lenses you guys would suggest for food photography.

I assume that a prime would be better than a zoom since fancy food photos always have a lot of bokeh...

I have the FA 31mm Limited, but that's kind of my "baby" and I don't really want her borrowing it for extended periods.

Are there any other lenses you guys would suggest?
Maybe the 70mm DA Limited? Or just the 50mm FA 1.4?

Thanks in advance!

12-23-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
DA 35 Ltd? Close focusing is not bad for food I think.
12-24-2009, 12:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
My wife has recently gotten interested in taking photographs of food for when she reviews restaurants on Yelp.com, and I'm wondering what lenses you guys would suggest for food photography.

I assume that a prime would be better than a zoom since fancy food photos always have a lot of bokeh...

I have the FA 31mm Limited, but that's kind of my "baby" and I don't really want her borrowing it for extended periods.

Thanks in advance!

I would've said FA 31/1.8 because that's what I use for all product shots, but if not, then I'd say 35/2. Close focus is definitely a plus, but the FOV is just perfect for stuff that aren't that big shooting at an arm's length away.
12-24-2009, 05:05 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote

Thanks in advance!
I too suggest FA 35mm f/2. Very sharp where in focus and a nice DOF.
Attached image was taken with this lens @ f/2. Well, I should have used f/2.4 or 2.8 and framed a bit to the left...

I know you want a good excuse to buy a longer prime you don't have, but a 50mm or 70mm is probably too long for shooting your food in restaurants

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D Super  Photo 
12-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #5

+1 for the DA 35 Limited.

Amazing clarity and IQ and has amazing close focusing ability.