Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2009, 01:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Need help with lens testing methods

Hello fellow Pentaxians,

I've been mulling over the issue of documenting lenses for several years now and to date I really haven't found a satisfactory method to do so.

Though I'd really like to get something going in the sense that there seem to be so many lenses that just aren't fully explored and/or documented in such as way as to share with others looking at getting into those lenses as well.

On the topic of methods, I know there are many places that do carry out lens testing with charts and the likes, but I've yet to see any that actually put lenses through there paces for characteristics like bokeh, contrast quality, and whatever other effects they might have under practical use.

So I'm hoping that some of you here might have some ideas or input on what methods might work to accomplish a sort of testing method to help get the job done.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by JohnBee; 12-24-2009 at 01:33 AM.
12-24-2009, 06:58 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
Hello fellow Pentaxians,

I've been mulling over the issue of documenting lenses for several years now and to date I really haven't found a satisfactory method to do so.

Though I'd really like to get something going in the sense that there seem to be so many lenses that just aren't fully explored and/or documented in such as way as to share with others looking at getting into those lenses as well.

On the topic of methods, I know there are many places that do carry out lens testing with charts and the likes, but I've yet to see any that actually put lenses through there paces for characteristics like bokeh, contrast quality, and whatever other effects they might have under practical use.

So I'm hoping that some of you here might have some ideas or input on what methods might work to accomplish a sort of testing method to help get the job done.

Thanks in advance.
Go out and take some pictures.
It's the best way to test a lens.
12-24-2009, 08:29 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Stefan Rohloff has done something along these lines: Lens Tests: 20 mm & Fisheye - Stefan Rohloff Photography

AFAIK folks are still searching for a standardized bokeh test...imho the best I've seen so far is holiday colored string of lights, slightly out-of-focus.
12-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Rick Denney has done some nice, simple Bokeh testing that includes other aspects of lens quality. Here's an example from the link.

I think that such a standard target set-up combined with a quantitative resolution test like a Siemen's Star (downloadable) can let you find out a lot about a lens. The left half of the following image is from one 200mm lens & the right is from another. The right hand lens loses contrast fastest as resolution increases.

Bob Atkins has a nice discussion at Testing Camera Lenses - Sharpness, Chromatic Aberration and Distortion - Bob Atkins Photography

Dave

12-24-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the other thing you need to consider is to look at exposure on the camera body by using a uniformly lit surface.

Chweck grey scale vs aperture in the center for consistancy of exposure and center to cvorner for vignetting