Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 08:35 PM   #16

Dave... thank you... seems we both are sharing the same finding and mindset... I really hate sending things in when there isn't a problem... seems one ends up creeping in for me if there wasn't..

again, thank you for the help..

Roger

05-10-2010, 08:43 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aerodave Quote
Roger, I did exchange the lens, and received one with a substantially different serial number. It behaves 100% identically.

Because of this, I'm just assuming that it's something I'm more sensitive to than the average well-adjusted person. It's not a quality most people would describe as "loose" (maybe not even myself). So it could just be enough of a slight little quasi-wiggle that I'm inclined to look for it and fixate on it. Like picking at a scab.

In any case, I'm done worrying about it, and have just been enjoying the pictures the lens takes.
Hi, I am in cincy, tell me where I can get a 50-135?
05-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Henry, I ordered mine from Amazon. Of course, in December it was about $300 less expensive than it is now. I know that's not very helpful.
05-10-2010, 09:21 PM   #19

I thought I'd throw in I bought all my gear (apx 2,800.00) from Adorama via Bing Cash Back, Bing.com, and really did get about $240.00 back. many popular sites are used via Bing. Certainly work checking out as for it is one of the rare "something for nothing" things in life.

Have bought via Bing many times since and always gotten some cash back.. just an FYI

05-13-2010, 08:42 PM   #20

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just checked mine. No slack in the zoom ring, but some in the focus ring. Anybody else has experienced this?
05-14-2010, 04:06 AM   #21
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
OK, I finally checked mine. No problems with either focus or zoom ring sloppiness. Just a note that the SDM motor is not working on mine, but my K10D is running software V1.2 so it works via the body drive.
05-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #22

Follow up, end result

Thought I'd update this with the outcome..

Under warranty sent lens to CRIS Camera via Pentax's recommendation.

Per service notes: Adjusted zoom barrel and installed packing spacers.

I asked the following questions: * Cause of play (worn, prior service, common/normal) [no response] * Are packing spacers used at factory [they said yes] * Is weather sealing compromised [they said no].

There is absolutely no play in zoom ring now. It is also firmer to twist (not so much it feels like too much, but much firmer than when new).

Prior to sending it in I spoke with Pentax about the play. They pulled one off the shelf and and stated it had "some" play, but really had to look for it. Mine was loose enough that if I picked the camera up by the zoom ring I felt a definite "slip". Think I had more than their shelf unit.