Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2007, 10:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
300/4 SMC Takumar test shots

Okay I shot these test shots about two years ago on my minolta 7D. They're not scientific, but I figure someone on a pentax board might get something out of them. Images are 100% crop slightly off centre from that camera's 6 mp sensor. Take them with a grain of salt.

Worth noting: As with almost every takumar I've tested, you get the a bit of 'soft-focus' type blooming around highlights / high contrast areas when used wide open. It still resolved detail pretty well, but loses contrast more than anything. Again, like almost all takumars, once it's stopped down a click or two from wide open, bokeh smooths out and things sharpen up. This lens seems to do very well indeed at f5.6 and doesn't get too much sharper as you stop down.

06-16-2007, 10:26 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Thanks for testing this lens out. It seems that most of M or A lenses would have significant purple fringeing til stopping down aperture to f5.6 or above

No doubt most images are sharp but the bokeh inconsistency is a common problem.

Nevertheless, good lens for the price though
06-17-2007, 11:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Hmm...yah perhaps I overstated a bit. The bokeh at f4 is actually less affected than most of my other Taks' wide open. It's just the blooming has the most effect on the bokeh, as shown here...

Damn fine lens.