Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-25-2009, 12:54 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
SMC K24 vs DA21 - opinions please

Hi all,

f stop, AF and AE aside.
I'm really interested in how do these two compare in terms of IQ purely?
Did anybody try both? I know DA21 is held in high regard, but not as high as other ltds.... On the other side SMC 24.... well, there isn't much info on it. But some folks did get some stunning images out of it.

Does anybody have either first hand experience with both or useful links?

TIA
Peter

12-25-2009, 01:23 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I have the K24/2.8 & the K24/3.5. Both are very good, checkout the forum lens reviews.

Phil.
12-26-2009, 02:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hi Peter, for what purpose do you intend to use the 24? an AF would be the better option if you want to take a quick snapshot ! but if you don't mind shooting manual, the K's are a great cheaper option.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 12-26-2009 at 03:25 PM.
12-26-2009, 02:39 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I have the K24/2.8 & the K24/3.5. Both are very good, checkout the forum lens reviews.

Phil.
come on man, I've been member here over two years now. Where do you think I'm going to check first if any lens crosses my mind?
I've read the K24 reviews bakc and front bazzillion times and most of the DA21 reviews few times....

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
hi Peter, for what purpose do you intend to use the 24? an AF would be the better option if you want to take a quick snapshot ! but if you don't mind shooting manual, the K's are are great cheaper option.
I found out about the greatness of MF lenses recently. I never liked MF because I kept missing a lot, but with the short focus throw of my AF lenses and APS-C VF it's a PITA. I got O-ME53 and later K3 split screen. This helped so I can now focus my 31ltd and F50 easy(er) Sigma 105 is OK too but have still troubles with DA40. But all this went out of the window since I got SMC 55/1.8 (the K ver.) It's tremendous 270deg focus throw let's me focus very precisely (although sometimes it takes a while) indeed. And optically it's superb lens.
So I see that there is K24 for sale for good price (99) and I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger here.
Main purpose? :
a) streets (mostly hyper focal with camera over the shoulder and cable release)
b) cityscapes (mostly deep DOF)
c) light traveling/landscapes/vistas (mostly deep DOF)
d) some indoors stuff when 31 is not wide enough (wide open!!)
so my only concern really is d)
What I was really interested in, is how do these two compare in IQ. Theirs colour rendering, tone, sharpness, contrast.... etc.
I have read K24 (and A24 for that matter) to bee good, with only lacking a bit of sharpness in the corners, and DA21 is reportedly good too, but lacks the "WOW" of other ltds. Many have said that Sigma 10-20 is nearly as good at 20 and DA12-24 reportedly beats it. But since Sigma (which I have) only does f5.6 @20 and DA12-24 is too big + too expensive I'm looking for something to fit into the hole between 10-20 and FA31. It need's to bee small(ish) and prime. The f3.2 of 21 is the slowest I'm willing to look at. And I'm on the budget....
TIA

12-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
come on man, I've been member here over two years now. Where do you think I'm going to check first if any lens crosses my mind?
I've read the K24 reviews bakc and front bazzillion times and most of the DA21 reviews few times....

I meant for you to read MY lens reviews on the K24/2.8 and the K24/3.5, so I did not have to retype MY opinions in this thread.

It seemed like a easy thing to do!

Phil.
12-26-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I meant for you to read MY lens reviews on the K24/2.8 and the K24/3.5, so I did not have to retype MY opinions in this thread.

It seemed like a easy thing to do!

Phil.
heh,
sorry Phil, English is not my first language kind of misunderstood there...
12-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter

heh,
sorry Phil, English is not my first language kind of misunderstood there...
No worries!

Happy lens hunting,

Phil.
12-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #8
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No worries!

Happy lens hunting,

Phil.
wanted to go and buy the K24/2.8 today, but I checked on line and the shop is closed 25/26/27 28&29 I'm working so hopefully on Saturday 30/12 I'll make my way and get it

12-26-2009, 01:51 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I found out about the greatness of MF lenses recently. I never liked MF because I kept missing a lot, but with the short focus throw of my AF lenses and APS-C VF it's a PITA. I got O-ME53 and later K3 split screen. This helped so I can now focus my 31ltd and F50 easy(er) Sigma 105 is OK too but have still troubles with DA40. But all this went out of the window since I got SMC 55/1.8 (the K ver.) It's tremendous 270deg focus throw let's me focus very precisely (although sometimes it takes a while) indeed. And optically it's superb lens.
So I see that there is K24 for sale for good price (99) and I'm really thinking of pulling the trigger here.
Main purpose? :
a) streets (mostly hyper focal with camera over the shoulder and cable release)
b) cityscapes (mostly deep DOF)
c) light traveling/landscapes/vistas (mostly deep DOF)
d) some indoors stuff when 31 is not wide enough (wide open!!)
so my only concern really is d)
What I was really interested in, is how do these two compare in IQ. Theirs colour rendering, tone, sharpness, contrast.... etc.
I have read K24 (and A24 for that matter) to bee good, with only lacking a bit of sharpness in the corners, and DA21 is reportedly good too, but lacks the "WOW" of other ltds. Many have said that Sigma 10-20 is nearly as good at 20 and DA12-24 reportedly beats it. But since Sigma (which I have) only does f5.6 @20 and DA12-24 is too big + too expensive I'm looking for something to fit into the hole between 10-20 and FA31. It need's to bee small(ish) and prime. The f3.2 of 21 is the slowest I'm willing to look at. And I'm on the budget....
TIA
Axl,
It was interesting to read of your experiences and opinions.

I can't directly answer your question, i have the DA21 but not the K24. I recently did purchase the F28 f2.8 and like it very much.

The really odd thing about the DA21 is the colors always seem very vibrant on that lens. Where not used in architectural apps, IMO the images often do have that wow factor. wide open though, i seem to get some of that barrel distortion i don't like

But as to FL, i agree with where you seem to be going. These days, i find the Sigma 10-20 range to have more size fall-off than i would prefer, the long 300mm tele to be narrower than i often would like, and so my best images seem to be in the 35 to 135mm range (on a 1.5 crop). Like you, i wont buy an fstop slower than f2.8 because of my recent actor playhouse experiences. Even using a tripod, i can see where a faster f-stop like f2.8 can engage some kinds of twilight images where some motion is involved, e.g. folks walking

I've got a split lens screen which helps a lot doing manual focusing for twilight images. But the better focusing lenses for me are the ones with the shorter throws than the 270 deg you were talking about. I don't know what is right or wrong, just comparing off the cuff comments. I'm tempted to try that VF magnifier that you mentioned, interesting.

I wish my DA-21 was a DA-24, i think i'd be using it more because of the FL :-)
12-26-2009, 02:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Axl,

I wish my DA-21 was a DA-24, i think i'd be using it more because of the FL :-)
You can crop a bit
12-26-2009, 03:01 PM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Phil B....

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
You can crop a bit
true but that means loosing resolution... not that it would bother me to much, as a prime user I am used to crop fair bit...
"Problem" with 21 is that it's too close to 10-20 to justify... 24 is easier... I too wish 21ltd was 24ltd.. I wouldn't even mind it being f3.2 if it were 24 I'd have it already..
Now the vision of 21/31/40 ltds is very tempting but 300 price tag for used (and there are none at the moment) is not. On the other side K24 goes for 99 which is very tempting and last ones here sold for around $200, so even if I decide to change it for something else I can re sell it here and not really loose... (100= ~$160) so I'm really tempted here... Oh well, I'll have to wait till Wednesday anyway, and then I'll see

Thanks for opinions though

BR
Peter
12-26-2009, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it's worth, I have both the K24/2.8 and K24/3.5 and have sold the last of my DA Ltds. It might have been just me, but I found the K lenses (and SMC Taks) for the most part have a better look than newer glass.
12-26-2009, 03:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Thank you Phil B....

true but that means loosing resolution... not that it would bother me to much, as a prime user I am used to crop fair bit...
"Problem" with 21 is that it's too close to 10-20 to justify... 24 is easier... I too wish 21ltd was 24ltd.. I wouldn't even mind it being f3.2 if it were 24 I'd have it already..
Now the vision of 21/31/40 ltds is very tempting but 300 price tag for used (and there are none at the moment) is not. On the other side K24 goes for 99 which is very tempting and last ones here sold for around $200, so even if I decide to change it for something else I can re sell it here and not really loose... (100= ~$160) so I'm really tempted here... Oh well, I'll have to wait till Wednesday anyway, and then I'll see

Thanks for opinions though

BR
Peter
Peter, that's one other thing to consider. getting a DA21 doesn't seem sound if you got a 10-20 lens already. you'd be better off using your Sigma UW zoom lens. a 24mm would be much of the ideal choice for normal or decent wide, that is portable or handy enough to carry all day. having shot with a prime 28mm,
a 24mm is good for moderate size dimensioned indoor shots (not extreme close corners). the 7mm difference between the 24 and your 31 is already a huge gap and could cover a lot of close areas.

btw, I'm salivating at your FA135 right now.
12-26-2009, 04:14 PM   #14
Lens Buying Addict

QuoteOriginally posted by smc Quote
For what it's worth, I have both the K24/2.8 and K24/3.5 and have sold the last of my DA Ltds. It might have been just me, but I found the K lenses (and SMC Taks) for the most part have a better look than newer glass.
AXL: Well, that's three of us who have both K24's. The 2.8, especially, produces quite vibrant color and bot are sharp. @ 99 GBP (I can never make my keyboard do the currency symbol) you wouldn't have much problem selling that lens for what you paid unless it is a total beater, in which case you probably wouldn't buy it.

MF on one of our DSLR's is an acquired taste, but once you have it down it is sublime.

And - you can shoot film with the K.
12-26-2009, 04:51 PM   #15
axl
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
AXL: Well, that's three of us who have both K24's. The 2.8, especially, produces quite vibrant color and bot are sharp. @ 99 GBP (I can never make my keyboard do the currency symbol) you wouldn't have much problem selling that lens for what you paid unless it is a total beater, in which case you probably wouldn't buy it.

MF on one of our DSLR's is an acquired taste, but once you have it down it is sublime.

And - you can shoot film with the K.
It's not a total beater.
I did hold the lens, when I was in that shop when buying FA135.
It has obvious signs of use on body but glass is great and mechanically it works top notch...
seems I have decided
Thanks guys

Peter

PS: now I just hope nobody buys it before me