Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-27-2009, 02:04 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd second the suggestions of those who indicated that FA 50/1.4 may be a good way to go. Either this or FA 50/1.7. Both being very fine lenses. I'd like to warn you that if you buy a manual focus version of these, you might find it difficult to use with the viewfinder of your camera. But it depends mainly on your eyesight, mine being rather weak.

12-27-2009, 11:07 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
I'd second the suggestions of those who indicated that FA 50/1.4 may be a good way to go. Either this or FA 50/1.7. Both being very fine lenses. I'd like to warn you that if you buy a manual focus version of these, you might find it difficult to use with the viewfinder of your camera. But it depends mainly on your eyesight, mine being rather weak.
can anything be done to the viewfinder to make it easier to use a manual focus lens?
12-27-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kinsale Quote
can anything be done to the viewfinder to make it easier to use a manual focus lens?
A couple things...one is a magnifying eyepiece. Pentax makes one and there are a couple others, the only one which I can recall the name of now is by Tenpa and they make two levels of magnification.

Also you can invest in a split prism (preferably a diagonal split prism) focusing screen to replace the original. There are several options from very inexpensive screens from sellers like Jinfinance on eBay to Katz Eye or even FocusingScreens.com

Here is a Google search for focusing screens: focusing screen - Google Search

You can just search here on PF to find a number of threads on both options. And make sure to really read up on the options and decide from there.

Still focusing with a small aperture can be a challenge due to really low amounts of light let in....also, if your eyesight is good, then all you might need is practice... ;p

EDIT: ah, heck, here is a search for them on PF

Last edited by brecklundin; 12-27-2009 at 07:08 PM.
12-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax | O-ME53 Magnifying Eyecup | 30150 | B&H Photo Video

Katz Eye Focusing Screen for the Pentax K100D - Katz Eye Optics

12-28-2009, 09:43 AM   #20
Forum Member

Original Poster
Guys,

Thank you so much for the replies and links! I forget sometimes to search as you guys are so helpful. Sorry about that. I have looked at Katzeye website but am not sure I understand how their screens help you focus. I'll try searching more to see if I can understand that one.

Thanks so much
Ian

OK I get it! Wikipedia has a good explanation. I don't know which is more fun, shooting pictures or learning all this stuff

Last edited by kinsale; 12-28-2009 at 09:52 AM.